Installed Dobinson's 1.75 Inch Variable Rate Suspension Kit: C59 - 222V, C59 223V (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

culturedredneck

GOLD Star
Threads
While doing research for my suspension upgrade recently I couldn't find any reviews or photos of this particular set up, so I wanted to post in case someone else is looking. It's no 4 inch lift with miles of travel, but some of us like our cruisers on the refined side.

I've only had it on 3 days so far, but the difference is incredible. I can't believe I waited this long to upgrade the suspension. It drives better than it ever has since I owned it, and maybe better than from the factory. They ride is super responsive and firm, but comfortable. No rolling around corners or getting slammed by potholes. It really gave it whole new life. And the steering dampener is a huge improvement over stock. It really tightened up a lot of the play I was experiencing at the wheel.

The amount of lift is exactly what I wanted. For the longest time I was just going to to do a stock height kit, but after speaking with the folks at Dobinson's I decided to go with the variable springs since I'll be running more weight in the future (bumpers, sliders, rack) but for now am bone stock. I wanted something that felt good loaded and unloaded. Since the stock height kit only comes with linear springs, I went for the 1.75 inch lift. It sits a little higher, but not so much that it looks super lifted or makes it feel like It can't still be a very comfortable daily driver. The dog can still jump in the back, which is crucial. If you're on the fence between a 2.5 kit and stock height, this is perfect compromise.

I took some very rudimentary and non-scientific measurements from the top of the tire to the wheel well. These measurements were taken on an uneven driveway in the rain with unevenly worn tires so they're not super accurate, but show a pretty clear 2-2.25 inches of overall lift from the worn out stock springs.

Before
FR: 4"
FL: 4.25"
RR: 4.75"
RL: 4.25"

After
FR: 6.25"
FL: 6.5"
RR: 6.75"
RL: 6.25"

Need new tires now.

before_1.jpg

before_2.jpg

after_1.jpg

after_2.jpg

after_4.jpg

Looks good. I may go this route as well. I had a pretty good string of emails with them(Dobinson's) already regarding different options. I only wish the 265 tires that came on my rig were not brand new, Some 285's would fill those wheel wells right back up quite nicely.

Thanks for the review. I currently have Old Man Emu 2.5" springs with Bilstein shocks. It's a sloppy set up, with excessive body roll and bizarre handling characteristics. Already had to swap the OME dampner for a Rancho unit because the steering was so bad, and that helped a lot. I'm ready for a complete makeover now, and this looks like a great option.

@MrMikeyG I hear ya on the tires. I am tempted to run out and buy tires right now, but I’m going to wait a bit longer. It doesn’t look too bad as is. Will probably go with the 285 Cooper ST Maxx when I do.

Go for the lift, you’ll be glad you did. I installed it in my driveway by myself, so it’s fairly easy to do.

I can dig it!
I've been wanting to do suspension but also planning on bumpers, drawers, etc in the future. I can't afford to do it all at once but don't want to either have unsupported stock suspension with heavy bumpers, or drive with stiff suspension and no bumpers for a while.
Sounds like a good in the middle.

If they're variable rate, i'm assuming the coil diameter changes? Wouldn't the suspension just sit lower in its travel once you add bumpers then and negate the benefit of a variable rate spring?
Just trying to think through this.

This is right in the zone of what I'm looking for.... I don't need a full 2.5" but would like something a bit more than stock height since I'm off pavement a lot of the time. Thanks for the intel - and be sure this inforamtion finds its way into the suspension sticky thread.

I can dig it!
I've been wanting to do suspension but also planning on bumpers, drawers, etc in the future. I can't afford to do it all at once but don't want to either have unsupported stock suspension with heavy bumpers, or drive with stiff suspension and no bumpers for a while.
Sounds like a good in the middle.

If they're variable rate, i'm assuming the coil diameter changes? Wouldn't the suspension just sit lower in its travel once you add bumpers then and negate the benefit of a variable rate spring?
Just trying to think through this.

So, thats a good question. I briefly talked with the folks at Dobinson's about it and from what i understand they shouldn't settle too much at all. These springs are their heaviest rated variable suspension at 110-220lbs. They also have 1.75" variable springs that are rated at up to 110 lbs. So from what I understand is that they are able to be loaded up to 220lbs without losing height. I could be wrong about that though. I know when I sit on the rear tailgate now the car barely moves at all and I weight 219 lbs. If you did add a lot more weight you may need new springs or spacers to get some height back. The shocks themselves are a big part of the cost, so if you had to swap springs later it wouldn't be too big a hit on your wallet.

I will say the car has a sleight bounce to it now, especially on continually bumpy roads, that would probably be smoother with the load the springs are rated for, but still such a massive improvement.

How much did the whole kit run you $$ ?? And I assume since you didn't go 2.5" that you didn't have to do any caster correction?

I’ve had this setup for a year now. I’m very happy with the ride and it’s a noticeable improvement over OME medium. It’s worked out well with 315 BFG A/T’s. I do have a slight driver side lean. The powder coating on the coils appears a bit inconsistent so we’ll see how it holds up longer term.

I’m in the same boat as @Dingotech. Worn out 2.5” OME and Bilsteins. I have 315’s. I will be going to 255/85/16’s when the time comes. But I’m staying with stock bumpers. Do you think this would be a good choice for that, or too rough with no extra load?

Thanks for the write up! Was just looking for info on this kit. Me thinks it would be perfect with some 295s. I have OME stock height currently but bought a new 80 (oops) and may not swap over.

How much did the whole kit run you $$ ?? And I assume since you didn't go 2.5" that you didn't have to do any caster correction?

Full kit, including steering dampener and 2 front spacers which I'm not using, was 1k shipped. Super fast shipping too. I ordered on a Tuesday afternoon, it was here Thursday.

I’ve had this setup for a year now. I’m very happy with the ride and it’s a noticeable improvement over OME medium. It’s worked out well with 315 BFG A/T’s. I do have a slight driver side lean. The powder coating on the coils appears a bit inconsistent so we’ll see how it holds up longer term.

Do you remember which springs you installed on which side? They're marked Right and Left but I was concerned that could be flipped since the springs come from Australia. I called up Dobinson's and they said its generally correct here in the US. Right goes right and let goes left. They said some people found they had to switch theirs up though to get rid of lean. I just matched up the tallest spring I took out to the tallest spring I put it, which ended up matching how the springs were marked.

I’m in the same boat as @Dingotech. Worn out 2.5” OME and Bilsteins. I have 315’s. I will be going to 255/85/16’s when the time comes. But I’m staying with stock bumpers. Do you think this would be a good choice for that, or too rough with no extra load?

If I knew 100% I would not be replacing bumpers or adding winches or racks, I might look at the springs rated up to 110lbs. Seems they may ride slightly better unloaded. Just a guess though.

For future reference when you get a chance post a center of wheel to fender edge measurement. This seems to be what most folks use to compare lifts.

Fyi to any Seattle area people; there's a store called "Mule expedition outfitters" in Issaquah now. (I have no affiliation). They are a Dobinsons dealer, have an install shop, and it's nice to have a place where you can go and put some of the overlanding gear in your hands. They even had some Slee product on the shelves.

Based on this thread I bought 222v/223v springs and installed them on my 80.

Instead of posting a new thread for this info I figured I'd put it here.

My measurements were (center hub to flare lower edge):

LF22.5RF22.25
LR22RR22

For my vehicle this represents a 2.75" lift from before. She has 250K on the clock and was on stock springs and shocks.

These are 315/75-16 BFGoodrich KO2s.

20201205_163545-X4.jpg

20201205_163722-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I have been considering this also... thanks for posting. Is caster correction recommended for this lift?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom