If your Lexus LX470 or Land Cruiser is dying on idle, misfiring, stalling, etc... READ THIS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, couple days ago I posted about my issue, today I figured out the problem. I have a 1998 Lexus LX470, 197k miles, the seller I got it from said it needed a new fuel pump and the symptoms it was having made it seem like he was correct. Then after reading up more on it, I saw there was other things it could be so I started with those.

After replacing my APPS, TPS, fuel pump, fuel filter, checking my EFI relay and the fuses next to it, checking my spark plugs, coils and injectors, nothing was fixing the problem. Then today, I went to look at the fuse diagram again to make sure I didn't miss any fuel related fuses. Thanks to @Malleus for replying where to find the FSM.

That's where I noticed the IGN fuse in the driver side kick panel helps run the Multiport Fuel injection system.. So I went in and pulled it out (its a 10amp). The fuse was completely cooked! I replaced it, and the car is back to life.

Now to figure out the high idle. It's around 1600.. if anyone has tips for that, let me know.

ign fuse.png

I think there's a nugget in the FSM for that...

Glad to hear the truck is back on the road.

Well, couple days ago I posted about my issue, today I figured out the problem. I have a 1998 Lexus LX470, 197k miles, the seller I got it from said it needed a new fuel pump and the symptoms it was having made it seem like he was correct. Then after reading up more on it, I saw there was other things it could be so I started with those.

After replacing my APPS, TPS, fuel pump, fuel filter, checking my EFI relay and the fuses next to it, checking my spark plugs, coils and injectors, nothing was fixing the problem. Then today, I went to look at the fuse diagram again to make sure I didn't miss any fuel related fuses. Thanks to @Malleus for replying where to find the FSM.

That's where I noticed the IGN fuse in the driver side kick panel helps run the Multiport Fuel injection system.. So I went in and pulled it out (its a 10amp). The fuse was completely cooked! I replaced it, and the car is back to life.

Now to figure out the high idle. It's around 1600.. if anyone has tips for that, let me know.

View attachment 3414876
Thanks for posting this! I had these same symptoms thinking the gas was bad, but it was this fuse that was blown.

View attachment 3414876
I think the high idle should calm itself down. After cleaning my MAF sensor and resetting the battery, my engine revved high for a little while and slowly calmed down.

Did yours sort itself out? maybe disconnect the battery for 15 minute and try again.

I wonder why the fuse was burnt up.

Good chance it will burn again , the holder in the block is overheated and damaged , loosing contact ,high resistance .. there is a lot of info on this on how to make a lasting repair .. Also applies to gx470 ..

Burned fuse 100 series.jpg

I think the high idle should calm itself down. After cleaning my MAF sensor and resetting the battery, my engine revved high for a little while and slowly calmed down.

Did yours sort itself out? maybe disconnect the battery for 15 minute and try again.

I wonder why the fuse was burnt up.
High idle never fixed itself. I ended up having to replace the Throttle Position Sensor to fix It

Good chance it will burn again , the holder in the block is overheated and damaged , loosing contact ,high resistance .. there is a lot of info on this on how to make a lasting repair .. Also applies to gx470 ..
Isis just the fuse box wearing that is the problem or is there an underlying electrical problem that causes the overheating ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom