Stalls at idle, starts up again just fine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having an issue over the last week that first started when I was out camping. I had my cruiser idling to charge our phones while at camp on friday and the engine sputtered and died. No CEL or anything. It started up again and idled smooth, didn't have the issue again until this morning. It was around 30-35 degrees outside and I started my car to head to work. While idling it died again. This time it didn't sputter it just shut off. Same thing, no CEL and it started again and idled smooth. While driving to work it stalled on the freeway, I was going maybe 60mph. I was able to coast to a safe place, turned it off and back on. Same thing once again, no CEL and idled smooth. I babied it the rest of the way to work.
I've been reading through thread after thread and it seems to be either a sensor issue or a fuel issue. I have a multimeter with me so I can check the resistance on a couple of the sensors here at work.

I wanted to get some ideas on other things it may be. After 3 days in the desert I know my air filter is dirty, but I feel like that would cause a rough idle before stalling the engine. I think my alternator is starting to go bad, my lights get noticeably brighter when I rev the engine at idle. I haven't really changed anything on the car in the last few weeks.

If anyone has any ideas on things to check let me know!

My guess, without any CEL, it could be the fuel pump. Has that been replaced recently and how many miles does the cruiser have?

Its original to my knowledge, 238k miles
Do you know of any good way to test the pump?
From experience, it the symptom does not throw any CEL codes, more often than not the component involved does not have semiconductors in it and is usually mechanical (basic electric operated). And at that mileage (150k or more), that’s the usual lifespan of fuel pumps.

From experience, it the symptom does not throw any CEL codes, more often than not the component involved does not have semiconductors in it and is usually is mechanical. And at that mileage (150k or more), that’s the usual lifespan of fuel pumps.
That makes sense, I'll call some local dealers and see if they have one in stock anywhere. Thanks!

It may be anecdotal and unrelated but this was occurring to me every once in a while (also while cold) until I replaced the battery. No CELs the whole time. My theory was that the electrical systems require a "baseline" amount of power that the time-weakened battery could no longer provide as a result of the alternator failing to provide enough charge to the compromised battery.

Id replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, and alternator. Make sure you purchase Toyota OEM for the fuel pump and alternator. You can easily do air filter and fuel filter yourself no problem. Fuel pump and alternator are more involved but if you replace with Toyota parts, you'll never have to deal with those again for the life of the vehicle probably. Good luck!

Is there a chance this could be due to the key immobilizer? I think my battery has been getting low. It doesn't always unlock the doors unless I'm really close.

Is there a chance this could be due to the key immobilizer? I think my battery has been getting low. It doesn't always unlock the doors unless I'm really close.

That's another thing that improved when I replaced the battery...the locks responded to the key much better.
If the insertion of the key into the ignition instantly stops the flashing security light on the center dash then the key's "signature" is being transmitted/read properly.

If your battery is 3 yrs or older, that could be it. Might be a good time as well to check if your battery may still be under warranty.

please give us an update!
Made it home just fine, it was idling fairly low on my way to cruiser outfitters to pick up an air filter. I think it was a bit overdue for replacement…
ebf6fe4a-d039-4ec7-982a-a399b0ba3beb.jpeg

Had the battery checked after and it was good.

There was a noticeable increase in power after replacing the filter, as well as it idling better. Seems to be fine for now, I’ll update the thread if it stalls again

Made it home just fine, it was idling fairly low on my way to cruiser outfitters to pick up an air filter. I think it was a bit overdue for replacement…View attachment 3569511
Had the battery checked after and it was good.

There was a noticeable increase in power after replacing the filter, as well as it idling better. Seems to be fine for now, I’ll update the thread if it stalls again
Could be the lighting but is that just dirt or is there a fluid/oil residue in that as well?

Unfortunately, the air filter was not the cause of the stalling. It happened again on the freeway today. Luckily I had a safe place to pull over. I'll have this whole weekend to diagnose the issue. I was able to get good readings from the MAF so I'm going to try testing the trottle position sensor next

Unfortunately, the air filter was not the cause of the stalling. It happened again on the freeway today. Luckily I had a safe place to pull over. I'll have this whole weekend to diagnose the issue. I was able to get good readings from the MAF so I'm going to try testing the trottle position sensor next
That air filter looks fine, I was wondering if your problem would be back. In the future, hold it up to the sun or shine a light through it to really see what's going on.
Fuel pump could be a suspect still

Dont know if this would be the cause but how is the throttle body looking? Clean???
I'll check it on my lunch in a few hours
That air filter looks fine, I was wondering if your problem would be back. In the future, hold it up to the sun or shine a light through it to really see what's going on.
Fuel pump could be a suspect still
I head it up to the sun when I put in the new one and not much light was getting through. The cruiser does drive better with the new air filter and the idle is back to a good level. I might stop and get some MAF cleaner and clean the throttle body if its dirty which I suspect it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom