Stalls at idle, starts up again just fine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll check it on my lunch in a few hours

I head it up to the sun when I put in the new one and not much light was getting through. The cruiser does drive better with the new air filter and the idle is back to a good level. I might stop and get some MAF cleaner and clean the throttle body if its dirty which I suspect it is.
Awesome. Hopefully that helps, definitely worth starting simple

Unfortunately, the air filter was not the cause of the stalling. It happened again on the freeway today. Luckily I had a safe place to pull over. I'll have this whole weekend to diagnose the issue. I was able to get good readings from the MAF so I'm going to try testing the trottle position sensor next
I'm not a pro mechanic but I'm 99% sure this is a fuel issue, I would replace the fuel filter (takes 15 minutes and its in the engine bay) and the fuel pump. I have a 2003 Honda Pilot as well as an LC100. In the Honda Pilot it did the same thing multiple times, would stall on the highway and sometimes wouldnt start, I eventually replaced the Fuel Pump at 250k miles and it hasnt stalled or failed to start in the last 15k miles or so.

Found a bosch fuel pump for like $60 on ebay. All the local auto parts stores are all brands I've never heard of. I'm gonna get this ordered, hopefully it ships fast!
I'm not a pro mechanic but I'm 99% sure this is a fuel issue, I would replace the fuel filter (takes 15 minutes and it’s in the engine bay) and the fuel pump. I have a 2003 Honda Pilot as well as an LC100. In the Honda Pilot it did the same thing multiple times, would stall on the highway and sometimes wouldnt start, I eventually replaced the Fuel Pump at 250k miles and it hasnt stalled or failed to start in the last 15k miles or so.
I think it’s fuel too, the filter was replaced with an OEM one last year so I think that part is good. I’ll try out this Bosch pump, hopefully it gets me going long enough to get into a 200 series in a few years

Last edited:
IMG_1561.jpeg

Not the cleanest thing ever….
I did also notice some fluids on top of the battery. I’m thinking that could actually be the source of the issues

Last edited:
FWIW, my fuel pump just failed Wednesday night! For the last coulple weeks I was getting an occasional long crank cycle.....crank no start, then starts on the next cycle etc...but Wednesday night she just started to sputter while driving and died. Wouldn't re-start. Got a tow to my local shop, and it was the fuel pump. I made it 19 years and 281k.

replaced the battery and it seemed to drive perfect again, but now my battery gauge seems a little low when charging. I’m going to see if autozone can test my alternator for me. Fuel pump should be here today so I’ll replace that either way.

replaced the battery and it seemed to drive perfect again, but now my battery gauge seems a little low when charging. I’m going to see if autozone can test my alternator for me. Fuel pump should be here today so I’ll replace that either way.
What is the gauge reading?

Anecdotal experience, but the sole contributor to my 1999 stalling was related to the MAF sensor circuitry. I experienced sporadic and rare low RPM stalling for a few years before the cruiser was no longer drivable. Now it has been almost 4 years since I solved the problem with the MAF circuit and haven't had an issue since. This thread shows the tail end of that journey Low RPM surging and stalling - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/low-rpm-surging-and-stalling.1212451/ To this day I am still shocked it never triggered a MAF related code.

Anecdotal experience, but the sole contributor to my 1999 stalling was related to the MAF sensor circuitry. I experienced sporadic and rare low RPM stalling for a few years before the cruiser was no longer drivable. Now it has been almost 4 years since I solved the problem with the MAF circuit and haven't had an issue since. This thread shows the tail end of that journey Low RPM surging and stalling - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/low-rpm-surging-and-stalling.1212451/ To this day I am still shocked it never triggered a MAF related code.
I'll absolutely read into this! Thanks!!

I’m letting it idle and get up to temperature right now. I don’t know if I’m just being paranoid but the idle feels chunky. It’s not jumping around much on the tachometer but it doesn’t feel smooth.

Well, I’ve got everything installed from the fuel pump apart from the wiring. It is unfortunately different that what my new pump needs. I’m not sure of the best way to splice wires in a fuel tank

I should also mention the pump I pulled out was not an oem Toyota pump :(

I just did my fuel pump this morning as well. I just crimped the new pig tail to the old wires with the included crimping splice connectors.

The previous owner @shellb had included a NIB fuel pump w/ the truck that he hadn't gotten around to. He had experienced the "crank no start" as well but it had gone away.

I had attempted to start multiple times this morning before starting the 2nd row tear down...wouldn't start
Fired right up after getting it back in and plugged in.

Initially I just wanted to see if it would solve the no start since I had it in the shed. I think I'll go back and put in OEM. (famous last words)

I just did my fuel pump this morning as well. I just crimped the new pig tail to the old wires with the included crimping splice connectors.

The previous owner @shellb had included a NIB fuel pump w/ the truck that he hadn't gotten around to. He had experienced the "crank no start" as well but it had gone away.

I had attempted to start multiple times this morning before starting the 2nd row tear down...wouldn't start
Fired right up after getting it back in and plugged in.

Initially I just wanted to see if it would solve the no start since I had it in the shed. I think I'll go back and put in OEM. (famous last words)
I used some crimp connectors for now as well, my brother is an electrician and has some fancy fuel resistant heat shrink he’s going to bring tomorrow and solder the wires together for me. This new pump is definitely a bit louder than the old one but it’s not oem so I’m not that worried. It could also be that I haven’t put the carpet and seats back in so that may block some of the noise.

It took a few seconds of cranking but it roared to life and is now idling very very smooth. I took it for a short test drive with a few full throttle pulls and it feels very good again. On my way home today the cruiser was feeling very lethargic, I had to go full throttle to be able to maintain 60 on short inclines. It feels significantly better now

Cruiser hasn't stalled since putting in the pump! I'm very pleased about that.
However another issue popped up. Since putting in the new pump I'll occasionally get a no crank. It doesn't click or anything like a low battery. All my lights still dim when I crank so I know power is going somewhere. Anyone have any ideas on this?

This did start after putting in my new battery this week. I'm going to check / replace the terminals with marine ones as other threads have suggested, as well as checking ground points.

Last edited:

I had years of intermittent stalling that never gave me any trouble codes. Replaced the fuel pump and filter and would still get stalling. I was able to eventually track it to the MAF sensor through P0172 and P0175 codes. Replaced the MAF sensor and haven't had an issue since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom