CarPlay in 06' Lexus LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy! Currently own an 06 LX470 with around 189k miles and getting to the point where I want to start making some upgrades. Everything is totally stock but LED lights are on the way but was wanting to add CarPlay. I know GROM makes the VLine kit but was wondering how it is setup in everyone's vehicles for whoever has it installed. Also would love to hear thoughts on where to put the phone in the interior while CarPlay is in use? Currently putting it in the transfer case!

Screen Shot 2024-02-03 at 03.03.22 PM.png

Several threads on Vline that answer the questions you have on placement. I had mine in glovebox for a year. Someone recently posted photos of it in the passenger footwell carpet that gave me back my glovebox space. That’s where i have it now.

As for phone placement, i bought a small magnetic mount from amazon and placed just below the Audio button. Keeps it from getting lost in the cupholders, ashtray, transfer case boot. Only downside to that is you Have to have a case with a magnet on the back so you cant use magnetic charging. I dont use that so not a big deal for me but some do.

Several threads on Vline that answer the questions you have on placement. I had mine in glovebox for a year. Someone recently posted photos of it in the passenger footwell carpet that gave me back my glovebox space. That’s where i have it now.

As for phone placement, i bought a small magnetic mount from amazon and placed just below the Audio button. Keeps it from getting lost in the cupholders, ashtray, transfer case boot. Only downside to that is you Have to have a case with a magnet on the back so you cant use magnetic charging. I dont use that so not a big deal for me but some do.
Thanks! I’ll probably put it in the glovebox

I put a VLITE2 in my 05 lx last year. So far it's great, minus the somewhat muddy sounding audio quality. I haven't gotten them to admit that the audio bitrate that is being pumped in from the VLITE2 is low, but I have a feeling everyone with the VLITE has the issue. I haven't heard that same issue with the VLINE2 though, so I'd be curious to see if anyone else can speak on the audio quality there. I will play the same song on Spotify as the CD I have in the cd changer and there is a noticeable muddiness. I sent the unit back to them for them to investigate, but they say they were unable to reproduce the issue. I am just dealing with it, it's better than having no Carplay, am I right? I also tried the bluetooth module route, but I hated that it would annouce "Bluetooth Connected" whenever I turned on the car. It sounded very chintzy.

After a few months, I recommend going with a Grom unit. Just don't play the music too loud and you won't hear the poor audio quality. Everyone that has ridden in my car will comment on how I have carplay and how it's seamlessly integrated into 2005 hardware. It's quite a flex. Worth the $400.

For holding the phone, I use a Mophie Snap vent mount that is magsafe compatible. I got it on ebay for $6.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

I put a VLITE2 in my 05 lx last year. So far it's great, minus the somewhat muddy sounding audio quality. I haven't gotten them to admit that the audio bitrate that is being pumped in from the VLITE2 is low, but I have a feeling everyone with the VLITE has the issue. I haven't heard that same issue with the VLINE2 though, so I'd be curious to see if anyone else can speak on the audio quality there. I will play the same song on Spotify as the CD I have in the cd changer and there is a noticeable muddiness. I sent the unit back to them for them to investigate, but they say they were unable to reproduce the issue. I am just dealing with it, it's better than having no Carplay, am I right? I also tried the bluetooth module route, but I hated that it would annouce "Bluetooth Connected" whenever I turned on the car. It sounded very chintzy.

After a few months, I recommend going with a Grom unit. Just don't play the music too loud and you won't hear the poor audio quality. Everyone that has ridden in my car will comment on how I have carplay and how it's seamlessly integrated into 2005 hardware. It's quite a flex. Worth the $400.

For holding the phone, I use a Mophie Snap vent mount that is magsafe compatible. I got it on ebay for $6.

View attachment 3581814

View attachment 3581815

Thank you for this! I have the BT-45 and it does mention the Bluetooth Connected and it does sound kinda tacky lol. I'll definitely take your advice on the audio sounding muddy, though I'm not sure if that might be due to the Lite version maybe not having as stronger of an amplifier compared to the higher end one but I have no idea. I have to say it does look really good for the screen and I actually purchased the same MagSafe phone mount on eBay sometime last year and just have it in my center console when the one on the dashboard loses its grip. One question... does the CarPlay activate on startup or do you have to press the DISC button every time and does CarPlay go away when you shift to Reverse and come back?

When I start the car, I see the Lexus screen for a few seconds, then the VLINE boot screen. After that boots, my screen goes to the NAV screen by default. I just press the audio button and it goes to the Grom unit and then after a few more seconds, like 20-30, Carplay will show. It goes right back to carplay after going in reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom