How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you OP! This worked for me perfectly. Bought a cord on Amazon and I have it working on my MacBook Air. I was finally able to turn off my auto tilt and telescope when starting and get my Ahc pressures in factory spec.

Thanks very much to the OP for the time and effort put in to help us get Techstream running, it's very much appreciated.

I bought a £22 cable from Amazon uk and used the updated VM posted here to get connected on my 2016 MacBook Pro. I could connect to the truck, told Techstream it was a 2005 landcruiser but the only engine option if offered me on the menu was 2UZ-FE whereas my engine is a D4D. Because of this, while I could see options for immobiliser, ABS, I couldn't see any engine data because it was looking for the wrong engine.

Any thoughts on what might need changing to tell it to look for the correct engine type or offer me more menu options for the engine?

Also, My vehicle model is KDJ120R but the engine info I have is just 1KD-then some numbers, how do I find out exactly which engine model type I have?

Thanks.

I cannot get this to work. I've been trying all morning. I can't figure out how to get the cable drivers to load, the program seems to work, but I must not have the correct drivers for the cable. I followed many work arounds to no avail. Anyone? Need this to work ASAP so I can pull a code.

I have windows 10 64 bit, the white translucent cable.

I cannot get this to work. I've been trying all morning. I can't figure out how to get the cable drivers to load, the program seems to work, but I must not have the correct drivers for the cable. I followed many work arounds to no avail. Anyone? Need this to work ASAP so I can pull a code.

I have windows 10 64 bit, the white translucent cable.

Don't know if you saw this post above. I had problems until I copied the Xhorse drivers to c:\Program Files (x86)

1582997364179.png

It seems I don't even have xhorse drivers, when I try and run the installer it just quits out. I think its an old installer and failing on a 64 bit system

It seems I don't even have xhorse drivers, when I try and run the installer it just quits out. I think its an old installer and failing on a 64 bit system

Need to run the 64-bit registry hack.

Need to find a distro or download with the xHorse files and the 64-bit registry hack.

First, thank you for your help
Need to run the 64-bit registry hack.

Need to find a distro or download with the xHorse files and the 64-bit registry hack.

Next, when I do the 'hack' I get to the part where you run the updater, and it just.. doesn't run. I can't get past that bit. Tried running in compatibiliyty mode, but I can't figure out how to make it to the next step.

First, thank you for your help

Next, when I do the 'hack' I get to the part where you run the updater, and it just.. doesn't run. I can't get past that bit. Tried running in compatibiliyty mode, but I can't figure out how to make it to the next step.

The registry hack is a standalone process. I ran it before the product installer.

What version are you attempting to install? I remember something like this when I had previously installed a newer version and I was attempting to drop down to an earlier version.

The registry hack is a standalone process. I ran it before the product installer.

What version are you attempting to install? I remember something like this when I had previously installed a newer version and I was attempting to drop down to an earlier version.
I have TS version 12.20.024 installed and seemingly running fine. I get a dialog saing "cannot connect to VIM when I try to connect". I have another machine with nothing on it I can try a fresh install if there is a proven windows 10 software pack I can DL to it.

Ok, I got it working! Just spent 4 hours to read one trouble code. Anyways, followed these two links, with a little luck (the command prompt bit takes a bit of figuring out, it is explained better in other spots)

Good luck to whoever reads this.

Ok, I got it working! Just spent 4 hours to read one trouble code. Anyways, followed these two links, with a little luck (the command prompt bit takes a bit of figuring out, it is explained better in other spots)

Good luck to whoever reads this.
Congratulations!

What are the actual PC requirements for the hacked version of TIS?

I have an old mini notebook running XP (Sony Vaio TX750p), but it is kind slow (see specs)

Processor Company:Intel
Processor Model:Pentium M 753 (Ultra Low Voltage)
Processor Speed:1.20GHz
Bus Speed:400MHz
Cache Size:2Mb
Cache Type:L2
Systemboard Chipset:Intel 915 GMS

Graphics Chipset:Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Screen Type:LCD/WXGA w/XBRITE technology
Screen Size:11.1 Inches
Widescreen:Yes
Resolution:1366×768
Video Memory:128MB dynamically allocated
Video Out:VGA w/Smart Display Sensor
Touchscreen:No
Memory
Memory Capacity:512MB (expand to 1GB)
Memory Slots:1?
Memory Type:DDR2
Memory Speed:PC3200 400MHz
Shared With Video:Up to 128Mb (dynamic)
Storage
Hard Drive Interface:Ultra ATA
Hard Drive Capacity:80GB (4200rpm)
Hard Drive Size:
Optical Drive:DVD+R Double Layer/DVD±RW, DVD+R DL Write, DVD+R Write, DVD+RW Write, DVD-R Write, DVD-RW Write, CD-R Write, CD-RW Write, DVD Read, CD Read,
Battery
Battery Type:Lithion Ion
Default Battery Size:
Mfr Estimated Runtime:4 – 7.5 Hours
Dimensions, and Weight
Weight:2.76 lbs w/standard battery
Height:0.83″ – 1.12″
Width:10.7″
Depth:7.7″

Will this be enough to get it running without crapping out in the middle of scanning?

What are the actual PC requirements for the hacked version of TIS?

I have an old mini notebook running XP (Sony Vaio TX750p), but it is kind slow (see specs)

Processor Company:Intel
Processor Model:Pentium M 753 (Ultra Low Voltage)
Processor Speed:1.20GHz
Bus Speed:400MHz
Cache Size:2Mb
Cache Type:L2
Systemboard Chipset:Intel 915 GMS

Graphics Chipset:Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Screen Type:LCD/WXGA w/XBRITE technology
Screen Size:11.1 Inches
Widescreen:Yes
Resolution:1366×768
Video Memory:128MB dynamically allocated
Video Out:VGA w/Smart Display Sensor
Touchscreen:No
Memory
Memory Capacity:512MB (expand to 1GB)
Memory Slots:1?
Memory Type:DDR2
Memory Speed:PC3200 400MHz
Shared With Video:Up to 128Mb (dynamic)
Storage
Hard Drive Interface:Ultra ATA
Hard Drive Capacity:80GB (4200rpm)
Hard Drive Size:
Optical Drive:DVD+R Double Layer/DVD±RW, DVD+R DL Write, DVD+R Write, DVD+RW Write, DVD-R Write, DVD-RW Write, CD-R Write, CD-RW Write, DVD Read, CD Read,
Battery
Battery Type:Lithion Ion
Default Battery Size:
Mfr Estimated Runtime:4 – 7.5 Hours
Dimensions, and Weight
Weight:2.76 lbs w/standard battery
Height:0.83″ – 1.12″
Width:10.7″
Depth:7.7″

Will this be enough to get it running without crapping out in the middle of scanning?
That would actually be pretty good as the VirtualBox that is linked in the first post is running Windows XP in 32-bit if I remember correctly. Techstream is not a speedy program so there is no real need for an uber fast machine, you just need enough to either run the virtualbox provided or run the application alone which does not seem to be incredibly resource intensive.

That would actually be pretty good as the VirtualBox that is linked in the first post is running Windows XP in 32-bit if I remember correctly. Techstream is not a speedy program so there is no real need for an uber fast machine, you just need enough to either run the virtualbox provided or run the application alone which does not seem to be incredibly resource intensive.

Sounds good

I was a bit curious cause the requirements for the real deal TIS seem a bit higher and doesn't mention XP at all

PC Requirements:
  • Laptop or desktop computer
  • Intel or AMD processor: 1.5 GHz or higher
  • Windows 7 32 or 64 bit Techstream v4.21 up
  • Windows 8 32 or 64 bit Techstream v8.0 up
  • Keyboard & mouse
  • Memory (RAM): 1GB or higher
  • Hard Drive Space: 2 GB or more
  • Floppy Drive: not required
  • USB: 1.1 or higher
  • Network Card: 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
  • Optical Drive: Not required
  • Video Resolution: 1024×768 recommended, 1024×600 minimum
  • Sound Card: 1 channel audio or higher
  • Internal or external audio speakers
  • Internet Explorer 8 or later
  • Toyota Information System (TIS) requires Adobe Flash Player 11 up and Java 7 up
  • Software License
  • Details on the professional diagnostics Techstream license here: and download directly from Toyota.

Also, is IE 8 really required?

I think I deleted IE everything when I downloaded Chrome a while back :doh:

I've got an ancient Asus Eeee Netbook running Linux.. it originally had XPHome on it, but after the netbook was retired many years ago I put Linux on it just to learn more about the system ... and to try and get more life out of the netbook. It would be a GREAT garage device. Is there anyway to get Techstream to run on Linux.. on an older underpowered netbook? Had Techstream (courtesy of this thread) running great on my main laptop, but I updated it to Win 10 recently and haven't tried to reinstall Techstream.

I've got an ancient Asus Eeee Netbook running Linux.. it originally had XPHome on it, but after the netbook was retired many years ago I put Linux on it just to learn more about the system ... and to try and get more life out of the netbook. It would be a GREAT garage device. Is there anyway to get Techstream to run on Linux.. on an older underpowered netbook? Had Techstream (courtesy of this thread) running great on my main laptop, but I updated it to Win 10 recently and haven't tried to reinstall Techstream.

I didn't try it yet, but the posts above yours mentioned virtualbox, so I assume the software is run on virtual machine, like we do with DIS for BMW. If this is correct, then it doesn't matter what OS you have. There is a virtualbox for linux, I used it on my laptop with ubuntu

Thank you very much for finding that! Bookmarked for later. I link surfed through that and saw a post about a Wifi adapter that seems to work with Techstream. Thought it was interesting since maybe that would eliminate the cable firmware confusion, but if it doesn't then it also comes with a cable of its own that might work. Anyone have any experience with it?

Last edited:
Thanks very much to the OP for the time and effort put in to help us get Techstream running, it's very much appreciated.

I bought a £22 cable from Amazon uk and used the updated VM posted here to get connected on my 2016 MacBook Pro. I could connect to the truck, told Techstream it was a 2005 landcruiser but the only engine option if offered me on the menu was 2UZ-FE whereas my engine is a D4D. Because of this, while I could see options for immobiliser, ABS, I couldn't see any engine data because it was looking for the wrong engine.

Any thoughts on what might need changing to tell it to look for the correct engine type or offer me more menu options for the engine?

Also, My vehicle model is KDJ120R but the engine info I have is just 1KD-then some numbers, how do I find out exactly which engine model type I have?

Thanks.

Anyone have thoughts on why I'm only seeing one engine option, which isn't the one I have, when I connect tech stream to my 2005 LC120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom