How much would you sell your truck for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It isn't about keeping it or not. It is about who winds up with your project, and what do they do with it. The first thing that is gonna happen is the new owner is going to make another mess in the world, spend all their time with a grinder and plasma cutter, all their money here or there. Instead of appreciating it, it will get modernized and made to look more aggressive, typically compromising ability in some aspect or another. Can't put a price on the material collected in a dustpan. Buying new parts that don't hold up to their advertising, anticlimactic new owner situation. It is like Antiques Road Show, the prices can be determined precisely, you can find someone to restore it, but, who's spouse is gonna let a grinder-wielding-fool to purchase it? Automobiles are for driving, not for hearing sanding and air-compressor or rattle painting.

It isn't about keeping it or not. It is about who winds up with your project, and what do they do with it. The first thing that is gonna happen is the new owner is going to make another mess in the world, spend all their time with a grinder and plasma cutter, all their money here or there. Instead of appreciating it, it will get modernized and made to look more aggressive, typically compromising ability in some aspect or another. Can't put a price on the material collected in a dustpan. Buying new parts that don't hold up to their advertising, anticlimactic new owner situation. It is like Antiques Road Show, the prices can be determined precisely, you can find someone to restore it, but, who's spouse is gonna let a grinder-wielding-fool to purchase it? Automobiles are for driving, not for hearing sanding and air-compressor or rattle painting.
I got my 40 when I was 16 years old and few years later I rattled canned it. Couldn't afford normal paint. I just did the best I could learning and affording the parts I could, when I was able to. But yea this is what it looked like when I got it...

20221209_111355.jpg

I wish I never did, I wish I just kept the faded rusty bucket the way it was... except the whole interior was spray painted metalic copper šŸ¤”

Automobiles are for driving, not for hearing sanding and air-compressor or rattle painting.
putting your blood sweat and tears into them to make it yours is half the fun.....doing so with a loved member of the family only adds to the experience..and value.

putting your blood sweat and tears into them to make it yours is half the fun.....doing so with a loved member of the family only adds to the experience..and value.
I consider all my vehicles as canvases on which to express my ā€˜artā€™, whether or not it conforms to the original design. I consider my Concors restored shortbed 45 a failure in that regard, because it was not an expression of myā€™art.ā€™ I more or less conformed myself to it.

OTOH, my lwb 45 is high art IMO because it is modified from end to end, as my imagination has seen fit over the last 30 years. Yet all has been done tastefully (the hood louvers were there when I bought itšŸ˜›) to the point that non-cruiserheads think itā€™s basically stock. 5ā€ suspension lift, hi steer, 13ā€ long travel shocks, F155 crank, cam and pistons shoved into an F135 block, body lift cab, H42, Saginaw, and on and on. Even the passenger side mirror is not stock.

As others said, replacement cost is a factor. Since I have neither the energy or another 30 years in which to replicate it, I logically cannot sell it for any price without taking a loss.

E26709D1-0655-4EE2-BA95-8B22939B7BAB.jpeg

Last edited:
New motto ā€œNever Sellā€ is becoming a reality. I have never wanted new shiny things but I do want what I own to be mechanically sound. As to the welder and grinder comment-yup, thatā€™s me. I bought one 4x8 sheet of 18 gauge metal to cut out the rust and glue in panels so that she looks less like swiss cheese and more like the flying brick she is destined to become.

If you have any kind of attachment or have a lot of time in the vehicle do not sell it to anyone with in a thousand miles of you.
In the 1970's I built up a 63 Renault Caravel and sold it to a guy that lived a few blocks from me.
He drove by my house just about every day and over the next year I watched the car slowly deteriorate.

We should just start playing stupid and/or lying just to measure reactions...
-"I can't sell it, it's an illegal import"
Iā€™m definitely using that one next time lol. ā€œI smuggled it on a banana boat from Central Americaā€. Goal achieved when the guy tells his friends the crazy guy he met at the gas station

It all depends on who is asking. If they're serious, I usually just say NFS. If they're a dumba**, I usually give some dumba** answer. In all seriousness, I would sell my 40 if I got enough to put me a long way toward a nicer one. However, once I get to a certain point on my resto-mod, I seriously doubt I would sell it for any amount someone might actually pay.

the cost to replace it with a better one is the only way....

besides the shop would be all empty and lonely without it

14319.jpg

The FJ40 XXX series is one of a class of vehicles that becomes part of peoples lives. Hunting, fishing, off roading, etc.. people attach their lives to this. There are other cars that do the same but the durability to the design keeps it pretty close to family heart. SO, to sell one is like selling a picture album from ones life. I have heard from many they regret selling their FJ40 and spend many hours looking for one back. For me , best to keep close until I die , and the sale will not matter.

images

I think a lot. I might let my SOA go for $35k, but it's worth more like $20k or something. Needs work. Plenty of surface rust that I like just fine as it is, but it doesn't help the re$sale value. The whole thing is made of refurbished parts with <10k miles on them.

I think about selling my 80-series to upgrade to a 200-series all the time. With a $10k paint job it might be worth as much as $50k. I'll probably never do it though. We really enjoy it. :princess: wants the faded clear-coat fixed. I have rattle cans of color and clear to experiment on the roof and see how it comes out. I talked to a guy who will recover the seats for me just today. We'll likely get that done soon. If I had more space I might just get another one. ;)

The FJ40 XXX series is one of a class of vehicles that becomes part of peoples lives. Hunting, fishing, off roading, etc.. people attach their lives to this. There are other cars that do the same but the durability to the design keeps it pretty close to family heart. SO, to sell one is like selling a picture album from ones life. I have heard from many they regret selling their FJ40 and spend many hours looking for one back. For me , best to keep close until I die , and the sale will not matter.
Well said @1969FJ. Immediately regretted selling my 2nd 40. Replaced it 9 years later and donā€™t see myself letting go of the this one.

Iā€™m still trying to buy back a 1958 Corvette with tremendous sentimental value that was in our family decades agoā€¦.located it but current owner has zero interest in entertaining any offers. Waiting game now. Lesson learned..donā€™t sell! šŸ˜¬

I don't have any real attachment to my Landcruiser.
What I do have is far more money and time plugged into it than it is worth. šŸ˜†
It has been a fun project, and continues to be one. I'm still a long ways from not having a list of larger projects to accomplish.
There will always be little things. Everything is in a state of degradation.

I do enjoy driving it though, and I do enjoy the attention it receives. They are unique vehicles. A different driving experience than anything else I've owned.

My favorite quote in this thread is from JohnnyC
ā€œIā€™m not selling it to make you happyā€ Iā€™ll probably use that one!
I have considered what Iā€™d consider selling mine for and as I ponder a fair price it always seems to be 15K. Then I think that amount would not buy me another one in the same condition. For the last several years I owned both the 40 and a 2018 Wrangler which was much more comfy. I finally decided to sell one of them and the Jeep was sold. They were both toys and I kept the one that rode worse, was not climate controlled, much less dependable , gives me the most satisfaction owning and that I canā€™t replace for the money someone will pay for it.

Deep down inside, I love the tools, the shop, the maintenance rhythm, the independence, etc. as much as the truck. But, if I had to depend on a mechanic, shoot, you can have my Cruiser, I already have enough fun just exploring the map.

Iā€™ve had quite a few cruisers and a few of them for sure I wish Iā€™ve had back. Both of my 40s I really liked, but was just the wrong time to own them. One was an SOA on 37s with 350/sm420 , the other was a 350 as well.

Iā€™m always on the look for another 40, but would prefer more stock.

As for selling, I was asked yesterday what my price was to sell my BJ74 (itā€™s basically a modern FJ40). Told him it wasnā€™t for sale but he was persistent. I said I was offered $50k once (doubt he was serious) but I turned that down.
Hmm, was all he said then Said thanks for letting me drool on your cruiser as he walked to his $80k ford truck.

Would I sell? Maybeā€¦it would have to be for the right 40ā€¦but Iā€™d rather just have another cruiser rather than sell one. Land cruisers have been in my life since I was a few years old and now Iā€™m oldā€¦.er.

Iā€™m still trying to buy back a 1958 Corvette with tremendous sentimental value that was in our family decades agoā€¦.located it but current owner has zero interest in entertaining any offers. Waiting game now. Lesson learned..donā€™t sell! šŸ˜¬

A childhood friend, who I'm current friends with on FB, restored and owns my dad's Austin Healey. I don't think he'll ever sell it, but he has promised me 1st dibs.

It was originally BRG with painted spoke wheels. Not sure why he would change the color.

1672339736010.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom