How dangerous is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working through little things on the 40 and wanted to tackle the ride height when I noticed the ubolt attachments are different and a little bent. How dangerous is this to keep riding on while I get parts together?

C78A2998-FE6D-4118-AEBA-62038A3FDDE9.jpeg

587938BC-7803-4DB2-AC96-898182A60135.jpeg

02939CF7-D78C-43B3-825F-35FD4C7DB44E.jpeg

C5A6677A-7FBF-4409-AF85-AC226EAAAF76.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely time for some Preventative Maintenance.

passenger side looks like it has had some spring wrap in the past it does not have a smooth arch
X2 most likely loose Ubolts
you will need to address this soon, if the Ubolts are loose the spring can move breaking the centerbolt and causing more issues.
most likely you will need new rear springs and Ubolts and plates hopefully the locating hole in the spring perch hasn't been opened up from being loose.

Also, when you're done getting everything fixed, try avoiding the rocks.

moderate driving it will not be an issue anytime soon.... however... that is bad... worse for ya if you get into an accident at speed

looks like the rear axle had a very bad hit and it has pushed past the spring pin, one side on yours is more than the other

it had happened to me once... hit a tire and rim that was left in the middle of the road... pushed the axle past the spring pin on the drivers side... I lost control after fishtailing at 65mph and rolled it on the highway 2-3 rolls side over side then came to a stop upsidedown

that wasn't very fun

was this damage done by you? or a PO?

Springs seem to have good arch, I'd say dump the bottom load carrying leafs (diving boards when the spring comedown on them), then disassemble the spring pack, paint each leaf separately, reassemble with fresh u-bolts and u-bolt plates, then enjoy.

Springs seem to have good arch, I'd say dump the bottom load carrying leafs (diving boards when the spring comedown on them), then disassemble the spring pack, paint each leaf separately, reassemble with fresh u-bolts and u-bolt plates, then enjoy.

1578420358080.png

this pic has a wave in the leaf spring under the axle???

I would not drive it until the springs, U-Bolts, and U-Bolt plates have been replaced. I agree with @Downey about dumping the diving board leafs completely.

I agree with @3_puppies
Those springs are toast. Both sides show evidence of being hammered. You can run them for now but they need replaced.

At the least, get a new set of spring plates, ubolts and spring pins from @cruiseroutfit or @65swb45 and make it safe while you decide on what springs to buy.

moderate driving it will not be an issue anytime soon.... however... that is bad... worse for ya if you get into an accident at speed

looks like the rear axle had a very bad hit and it has pushed past the spring pin, one side on yours is more than the other

it had happened to me once... hit a tire and rim that was left in the middle of the road... pushed the axle past the spring pin on the drivers side... I lost control after fishtailing at 65mph and rolled it on the highway 2-3 rolls side over side then came to a stop upsidedown

that wasn't very fun

was this damage done by you? or a PO?
Unfortunately the PO so I dont have any history of what happened. At this point looking at options and priority for any remediation. This is just a project vehicle not a daily driver, but I want to keep it rolling down the road safely as often as possible.

I would not drive it until the springs, U-Bolts, and U-Bolt plates have been replaced. I agree with @Downey about dumping the diving board leafs completely.

Still learning so pardon the question if it is dumb. What does dumping the bottom spring layer do for me?

Just not needed if you are not planning on carrying tons of weight.

So it’s looking like a full spring kit for the rear is the way to go- here is the front setup- same boat?

Either way I am stuck with the front shackle reversal for a little while and the tera flex is going away.

067B1DEB-BAAD-4888-B946-83F8E8BD72CB.jpeg

5B1908DF-52B1-4D0E-8E38-91A34F87AED4.jpeg

1. Those are not OE springs.
2. Since they are are not stock you can rule out fatigue from age.
3. Having ruled out fatigue, the only other explanation is trauma.
4. The amount of trauma it takes to invert both halves of a leaf spring is beyond excessive.
5. I would closely inspect EVERYTHING those springs have been in contact with, especially the frame and shackle hangers.
6. I would replace springs, pins, shackles, ubolts and ubolt plates.

This Wall Of Shame resident drove in to the shop for carburetor work a decade ago, completely unaware.
4677DB3A-DF1C-4370-A5CD-801FB411D268.jpeg

I think that first pic of the tera-flex is worthy the wall of shame.

Based on the PO's design choices and condition of the rear, I'm thinking you may have a few more issues up front. Are the springs, perches and plates in the same condition as the rear?

You might be able to to replace the tera-flex with an appropriate shackle to get the front behaving properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom