What is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had to put my starter into a shop for rebuild. This lady, Cindy, has been rebuilding starters and alternators for 30 years. She said, as I walked in with it, "Ah, an old Denso unit." After testing she said that the solenoid need rebuild and seemed confident that athe guts of a newer Denso unit should work out fine. Sounds like the right spot.
Now, these pictures ore of something that I can't ID. The yellow wire attaches to the solenoid and at its front end there is a shaft that is attached to a lever that is at the fuel injector pump. There "was" a plastic or rubber cap/bellows over the piston that the shaft moves. It is a fore and aft movement of about 1". No identifying marks can be seen from above or below. Right now there is reasonable access to its removal but I'd prefer to let it stay in position. Any ID's? This is an older 3 ltr B motor and I haven't found the data plate.
Thanks folks.

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

..............? not sure what I looking at ??

I'm not an expert, and it's hard to tell exactly which piece you're referring to in the pics, but with those caveats, I would guess it's the EDIC, which is a device that provides for overinjection of fuel at startup, and then shuts down fuel supply when you turn the ignition off.

sorry for the lousy photos but that was the best I could do. The EDIC. I hadn't thought of that as I figured the motor was too old for it. I looked at a schematic that was posted recently sure points to that being what it is.
I shall check with the diesel forum as well. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom