Help with heater hose! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I have spent the last 90 mins searching to understand the heater hose plumbing for adding a heater to my 77 fj40 with a 2f. The lower heater hose routing seems straightforward(for the return, right?), but I can’t find a consistent answer on how to feed the heater with warm coolant from the engine. I took a few pictures of my engine bay, can someone please direct me to which hose I feed into the heater? If it helps: I purchased the vintage air heater only kit and my FJ didn’t have heat when I bought it.

Thanks so much!!

IMG_0028.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

Drivers side of the head, near the rear.
Thank you for the quick reply! In the image below, would that be the one in the red? If so, it currently routes under the carb, so if I reroute that to the heater, do I need to figure out some kind of “T” connection to keep it feeding under the carb?

Apologies if I’m way off with this- this is my first job with coolant system outside of a flush, so my questions may be super dumb!

IMG_0029.jpeg

Neither one of those.

There should be another port near that temperature sensor closer to the valve cover.

Wow. Man you have bigger problems than heater hoses. Your brake lines are soft copper refrigeration lines.
Glad I wasn't the first one to see that mess of lines....classic SA truck :( That thing is rough, every where I look I see hackjobs.

But yes, the head should have a heater plug/port by the coolant temp sender.

You still need recirculation line off the lower rad hose as well.

Neither one of those.

There should be another port near that temperature sensor closer to the valve cover.
Ok- thank you for that, now I don’t feel as dumb! So: I think the one you’re talking about is currently plugged, but circled in red, right? It’s the next port closer to the firewall from the (temp?) sensor. I have also shaded a yellow (port?) closer to the front of the car, but I’m guessing that’s not it.

If it’s the red one: I guess my next step is to order the port itself to connect it to my heater hose.

Thanks so much for the help with this!

Glad I wasn't the first one to see that mess of lines....classic SA truck :( That thing is rough, every where I look I see hackjobs.

But yes, the head should have a heater plug/port by the coolant temp sender.

You still need recirculation line off the lower rad hose as well.
Yeah- I just got it about 2 weeks ago and am really surprised at some of the things I’ve come across! In any case, I got it to also work on it/learn more about working on cars, so I’m looking forward to the projects!

The lower radiator hose is the one I’m comfortable with knowing what to do- it’s that heater plug/port that has me stumped!

Ok- then I’m stumped again! I have taken 3 pictures of every angle of that section of the engine compartment- can someone please identify which port im looking for?

Or: can someone snap a picture of their heater port and share back?

Thank you!!!
IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

Yellow circled port
Temperature sender is what is next to it.

Edit: i'm too slow

I circled the plug in red. There are fittings that will screw into the head to connect your heater hose to.

IMG_0039.jpeg
DSCN9829_9831aeda-bb04-40e1-80e3-7a00d96e2ad8_900x.jpeg

Post up more pics of your engine bay (and whole 40) and we can point out other things to fix.

I noticed your ported vacuum on the carb isn't connected or plugged. If it's a vacuum advance distributor, you should hook that up.

X3
X2 also too slow

I’d recommend getting an original brass pipe for the coolant line that runs along the bottom of the side-cover. You’ll also need the valve that mounts inside the firewall and plumbing & grommet to go through the firewall.

Edit: i'm too slow

I circled the plug in red. There are fittings that will screw into the head to connect your heater hose to.

View attachment 3537491View attachment 3537492
Post up more pics of your engine bay (and whole 40) and we can point out other things to fix.

I noticed your ported vacuum on the carb isn't connected or plugged. If it's a vacuum advance distributor, you should hook that up.
Awesome- thank you!!!! As soon as I get the heater taken care of I’ll take you up on that! quick follow up: do you happen to have a part number for what you pictured? Or can I just go to my Toyota dealer and ask for it?

My vintage air system has a heater control valve integrated(that looks like it shuts off flow when I don’t need it) so I’m not looking for the old school one manual solution, just the port exactly as you have pictured!!

Looks like this is the start of a lot more projects than I anticipated, but look forward to bringing this up to a level that’s respectable!!

Max

The hoses you are illustrating in your post are not coolant hoses, though they are marked as such. It appears those are being used for engine manifold vacuum and crankcase vapor.

Awesome- thank you!!!! As soon as I get the heater taken care of I’ll take you up on that! quick follow up: do you happen to have a part number for what you pictured? Or can I just go to my Toyota dealer and ask for it?

My vintage air system has a heater control valve integrated(that looks like it shuts off flow when I don’t need it) so I’m not looking for the old school one manual solution, just the port exactly as you have pictured!!

Looks like this is the start of a lot more projects than I anticipated, but look forward to bringing this up to a level that’s respectable!!

Max
1705835194434.png

$19.88 list at the dealer.

Now might also be a good time to familiarize yourself with the pipe threads commonly found on Toyota vehicles. They are not interchangeable with the pipe threads found on many parts at your local hardware store or even auto parts store. Toyota uses BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread). This is important to know because some of the threads are close to matching NPT (National Pipe Thread) but are just enough off so that if you were to incorrectly use the wrong fitting you may get cross threaded and ruin your threads. ;)

a little late here but also make sure you have good protection in the antifreeze.
most overseas rigs from temperet zones aren't ready for the norths cold weather

Not to split hairs but I think these arrows are backward. I’m pretty sure the flow from radiator comes into the engine/water pump from the lower hose and returns through thermostat housing. In that case, the heater hose on the bottom radiator hose is the feed for heater core and the shutoff valve with hose to head is the return. Shutting the valve still stops flow in either case and as far as hose hookup, still the same so doesn’t really matter.
IMG_6877.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom