Builds Goat. A 1967 survivor FJ-45 LWB (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bummer. Bryce mentioned you were hunting an OE shaft. I'll see what I can dig up at the shop.

That was my gut reaction. I’m scared I’ll mess up mine.

I will try to cut it off as suggested.

The problem last time is I could not
Get the shaft out of the frame.

I will try my slide hammer this time

My Venezuelan connection has one.

$1500 :eek:

I’ll try harder to remove mine. Of all the slide hammers and pullers I’ve git something is bound to work

DE366EE4-C195-4F0B-8E6F-3E70C40FD9D7.jpeg

915D5D87-BCAF-4AF8-BC64-D4ECB1A2F29B.jpeg

3AF4AB15-E051-4E86-99F3-4FCFBC9CA4D6.jpeg

That's a Toyota major service kit with a NAPA sticker. Wonder if napa still has one languishing somewhere?

Fwiw many of the NOS kits we were selling were also Napa labeled on the OE box. I had my Napa guys scour the system and they said there were none left in any modern Napa but it was quite possible an older Napa garage or machine shop affiliates might have one.

Hmmm, worth a try if the price is right. I bet we could get new shafts machines for under $100 each?

Man. That would be awesome.

So. I decided to dive back into this setup
And figure out how to make it work

I pulled it apart and put every puller I had on the old shaft and heated it up and still it sits.

So. I cleaned up the old lower bushing and put it back on and trimmed 1/2 the felt thickness out.

I tightened it up until the steering had a bit of resistance while both wheels were off the ground.

I adjusted the steering until the steering wheel was straight and took it for a spin.

It steers and stops like a 51 year old truck with new parts now.

I’m silly happy.

It steers and stops like a 51 year old truck with new parts now.

I’m silly happy.

Great :):)
... all you need beside a Goat is a Dog ...
a Lanz Bulldog ... buy one

search on youtube how to start a Lanz Bulldog... very interesting.

... today we drive again to catch some fresh asparagus :)
images

season ends june 24.

Last edited:
Great :):)
... all you need beside a Goat is a Dog ...
a Lanz Bulldog ... buy one

search on youtube how to start a Lanz Bulldog... very interesting.

... today we drive again to catch some fresh asparagus :)
images

season ends june 24.

some information about the soccer fan Hubolt Wirth and his ride. *
...Hubert Wirth, the journey on a vintage tractor from Germany to Russia can be counted among the most unique ones. At a speed of 20 kilometers per hour, the fastest that his pre-1960 Lanz Bulldog tractor can reach, Wirth says that making contact with people and enjoying the views of the central European countryside are the important things in the journey. Things that a plane ride can seldom provide.
Accompanied by his trusty dog Hexe **,
Wirth makes headway to Moscow at his own pace, taking leisurely stops whenever he feels the need to. He even leaves himself the option of switching his mode of transportation, for some variety, with a quality bicycle attached to his trailer. Wirth plans to reach Moscow in time for Germany's first game in the tournament against Mexico on June 17. Still holding out hope of acquiring a ticket to that much-anticipated match, Wirth is only sure that he will watch the France-Denmark match in Luzhniki Stadium, and that he will connect with the people of Russia and fans from around the world. Despite the big "Hello Moscow" stamped on his vehicle, Moscow will be far from the end of Wirth's journey. He plans to drive north to St Petersburg from where he will take a ferry to Helsinki and make his way home through Denmark. Wirth is a lifelong motorhead, having worked at Daimler-Benz car manufacturer until its closure in 1998. Wirth claimed that the Lanz Bulldog tractor is one of many vehicles he restored himself.

* not only the Lanz & his ride is great his homemade camper trailer is it too....

....nobody need bling bling :)

** Hexe english = witch
500_F_25371418_CDD7i4PnjWgfN2TVg5LPhzYzmFLzkpBn.jpg

Australia got the Lanz Bulldog too.
KL Bulldog
Tractor - KL Bulldog, 1951
Museum Victoria

"...The "KL Bulldog" was based on the German "Lanz Bulldog" tractor design, originally developed in 1921, by Dr Fritz Huber, and manufactured by Heinrich Lanz AG of Mannheim and successfully exported throughout the world before World War II. The Lanz factory was destroyed in bombing raids during World War II. Production of the KL Bulldog commenced at Springvale, Victoria in 1948, at an initial rate of 20 tractors/week and continued until 1952, with about 900 built in total. At the heart of the Bulldog tractor is a huge 10.7 litre single-cylinder two-stoke semi-diesel engine that produces excellent torque at low revs and has a loud and very distinctive barking exhaust. The hot-bulb ignition and the need to manually turn the engine over using the removable steering wheel column makes the tractor somewhat temperamental to start. It would run on almost any liquid fuel, from kerosene to low-grade light crude oil or even old engine sump oil. Lanz and KL Bulldog Tractors were a proven low-cost and very reliable power unit ideally suited to ploughing, cropping or even belt-work driving stationary machinery. Under a fluctuating load the hit-and-miss governor would open up with the exhaust resounding to an increasing tempo of deep throaty barks. Unfortunately for Kelly & Lewis, newer tractor models came back on the Australian market with features such as electric starter motors making the KL Bulldog seem out of date and sales never reached the expected volume..."

Last edited:
More replacing old stuff happened today.

Thanks @FJ40Jim for suggesting if my motor mount was broken to look a little deeper and see what else was worn out.

I ordered up some new motor mounts from @beno and today I was feeling good about a quick swap.

Quick.

I’m not sure who I think I’m kidding

C53694F4-C57A-4483-B112-B75DAB3761F8.jpeg

The rears were smashed flat and both fronts were separated

F515A035-6454-466A-95FA-D638927BF22F.jpeg

Nothing like a metal fan hitting a shroud to get your attention to fix something

B3451AF6-D238-4C81-9EF5-8DDACD181ED1.jpeg

This thing is so much tighter now with motor mounts. Bed mounts. Sway bar mounts. Steering ends.

5210D99D-7042-4093-B0CF-D2140EFB1678.jpeg

Pig approves.

7A33EEAD-FD69-403F-9785-28A0AED28842.jpeg

Even got some mud on the tires

A58387C5-2B60-4779-93BE-B6A8DAB28264.jpeg

Started this fun job today after hosting a swap meet at my shop

110B5F64-1452-4468-9097-8E80186B8B9C.jpeg

I have to say. There is just no substitute for OEM 40 door gaskets. They are pillow soft and fill in even the largest gaps. Thanks @beno

6A5A6B6A-D09E-488A-B7AD-31F9837A1069.jpeg

Swap meet?! How’d I miss that?

I’m only 250 miles away in Louisiana. I missed the crawfish boil, now this.... I gotta start paying attention to CC’s forum!

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom