FJCO +8/80 Rear Brake Adapter install/review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is unfortunate to not get a resolution as to what your issue was in case someone else has the same problem

Last edited:
Care to share a parts list? I'm thinking this is the route I would like to go over a disc conversion.

Cable is dependent on wheelbase.
Handle placement is also partially dependent on personal preference as well as the trucks era (toolbox or not, etc)
For those two reasons it is pretty tough to make a complete comprehensive parts list.

That being said I am planning on designing weld tabs for the various parking brake cables to bolt to for the equalizer and up
on top of the housing to sell and for our shop installs but there are several versions of these to cover.

If you are interested in having us spec out a complete package for you feel free to message the shop, we have the adapters, loaded backing plates and drums, several cables, handles, etc in stock most of the time

I went with converting an FJ60 axle to a full floater and having the perches replaced to fit the FJ40 frame and used 78 FJ40 hubs from my front axle, and disc brakes with an adapter welded to the ends of the housed flanges that accepted Toyota brake calipers. When I ordered my H55F transmission and split transfer case I had the drum brake added to the output shaft. The drum brake on the transfer case worked fine when I was still able to drive it other than when the seal leaked. I also will move the hand brake to the transmission hump as part of the mod for the H55F. I also live where winters can be sub 0 temps and leaving it parked with the brake seat could leave you stranded. I only want to have to deal with one parking brake.
FLANGE ADAPTER WELDED 1.jpg

Bolted front spindles to the adapters and built out the hubs

ONE END ASSEMBLED AND TOQUED.jpg

CALIPERS ARE ASSEMBLED AND THE PADS LOADED AND DIFFERENTIAL MOUNTED .jpg

I went with converting an FJ60 axle to a full floater and having the perches replaced to fit the FJ40 frame and used 78 FJ40 hubs from my front axle, and disc brakes with an adapter welded to the ends of the housed flanges that accepted Toyota brake calipers. When I ordered my H55F transmission and split transfer case I had the drum brake added to the output shaft. The drum brake on the transfer case worked fine when I was still able to drive it other than when the seal leaked. I also will move the hand brake to the transmission hump as part of the mod for the H55F. I also live where winters can be sub 0 temps and leaving it parked with the brake seat could leave you stranded. I only want to have to deal with one parking brake.

Bolted front spindles to the adapters and built out the hubs
Nice axle but that is pretty irrelevant to the topic of this thread. The whole point is to
have it in the drum where it works the best as well as keep matched OEM brake bias

Is the adapter still available somewhere? Looking at the FJCO website they only sell t-shirts, keyrings but they dont have the adapter listed anywhere

Is the adapter still available somewhere? Looking at the FJCO website they only sell t-shirts, keyrings but they dont have the adapter listed anywhere

Did you contact them and ask?
If they are no longer selling them I can start making them. Probably at a much lower price point and with some minor changes to the things I didn't like as well.

If they get back to you and are no longer selling them, shoot my shop an email and we can get the ball rolling. Info@cruisermatts.com

great offering to the community Matt should these no longer be available. I was fortunate to find an 80+ axle, after swapping it out I now want to convert the 74 axle for a future project.
Great info for sure!

I don't see it on the website anymore.
Same with the mirrors.

@OlYellr needs a set of those adapters too I'd wager.

Did you contact them and ask?
If they are no longer selling them I can start making them. Probably at a much lower price point and with some minor changes to the things I didn't like as well.

If they get back to you and are no longer selling them, shoot my shop an email and we can get the ball rolling. Info@cruisermatts.com
Just curious, could you weld some material onto the existing plate (and/or weld up holes) and just re-drill for the 8/80 backing plate bolt pattern. Is an adapter actually required?

@cruisermatt now that Wilwood offers electronic parking brake calipers have you thought of that as an option?
I'm fortunate to have a split case with parking brake drum thanks to Valley Hybrids but if it weren't for that I'm intrigued by these electric parking calipers as I love my rear disc brakes "Poser style" Would be easy to modify the caliper bracket to accommodate these spot parking calipers.
Seems simpler than using the electric actuator with mechanical parking calipers.

@cruisermatt now that Wilwood offers electronic parking brake calipers have you thought of that as an option?
I'm fortunate to have a split case with parking brake drum thanks to Valley Hybrids but if it weren't for that I'm intrigued by these electric parking calipers as I love my rear disc brakes "Poser style" Would be easy to modify the caliper bracket to accommodate these spot parking calipers.
Seems simpler than using the electric actuator with mechanical parking calipers.

That is cool

Anybody know how much force is required to pull the cables adequately on the drums?

I've thought about using a pneumatic cylinder. Comes with a whole slew of problems being air dependent. I think that's no worse than potential electrical issues.

Way too many critical differences to be considered as a relevant comparison/option in my opinion.

Zero mention of how they operate as an “emergency brake” as well.

Last edited:
Just curious, could you weld some material onto the existing plate (and/or weld up holes) and just re-drill for the 8/80 backing plate bolt pattern.
No.
The answer to this is the same as the questions in the beginning of the thread, the early and later drums, backing plates and housing flanges have different offsets and thicknesses and the adapter plates have a very specific thickness to accommodate this. Yes, adapter required.

No.
The answer to this is the same as the questions in the beginning of the thread, the early and later drums, backing plates and housing flanges have different offsets and thicknesses and the adapter plates have a very specific thickness to accommodate this. Yes, adapter required.
So…when can we buy your adapters to do this mod???

Anybody know how much force is required to pull the cables adequately on the drums?

I've thought about using a pneumatic cylinder. Comes with a whole slew of problems being air dependent. I think that's no worse than potential electrical issues.

The actual answer would be very easy to determine with a load cell inline with the cable and bellcrank, multiplied by two.

The off the top of my head answer, maybe range of 15-35lbs pulling the handle up depending on how tight you wanted the engagement. That would be multiplied by at least the length of the handle (the arc of the cable guide would increase it as well).

So…when can we buy your adapters to do this mod???

I have some pretty good machining resources now - if there’s serious interest I can get some pricing and timeline estimates. If anyone is really interested, PM me, I don’t want to turn this into a sale thread.

No.
yeah after I looked at it a bit more i realized the thickness was a critical dimension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom