FJ62/3FE desmog air pump bypass belt....the LONGER one?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never understood why Toyota had the alternator get a redundant belt but the water pump only got one belt. It seems like the WP would be of higher priority? Does the alternator put more stress on a belt than the WP?

It's been five years since I changed out my belts, so I'll probably do that this summer. Been running the shorter belt for a long time, but I do like redundancy, so I'll make sure I order the longer one this time.

@red66toy I believe it does actually. When there's heavy load put on an alternator or generator, it takes a lot of oomph to keep it spinning. Ground power carts for any medium to large aircraft use big diesel engines to turn the generators on them. Our old ones in the USAF used Detroit diesels. The newer ones used 24-valve Cummins and MAAAAAAN were they a big upgrade. That said though, with the single belt it hasn't slipped on my 120A alternator with the loads I've put on it. No winching or real heavy stuff though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Went to install this belt today I think 570 is to short. Couldn’t get the PSP back up level again. I think I’m going to pick up a Gates TR22588 and try that. Anyone else try to install the 22570 yet and run into similar issues?

Last edited:
@poptart How did this end up, were you able to use the 22570 belt?

My FJ62 is in pieces right now, I just got it a couple months ago and I'm in the middle a big overhaul of basically everything. I fitted the 22570 belt on and you can't moved the PS pump back all the way to the top on the mount, while this it shouldn't be a real issue and won't prevent it from working, I just wanted to check and see if a larger belt would work a bit better. I ordered the 22588 and it's way to large, so it appears the 22570 will have to do. If it's not raining this afternoon I'll throw the 22570 back on and take a pic since my radiator is already out. Also, with the 22570 you'll have to loosen the Alternator to get the belt around everything.

Pictures as promised. You can see how low the PS pump is swung down.

D2AD9B3E-6D0D-422B-B455-83DEDC1697C6.jpeg

5AE376EA-35FC-40BC-B65D-EAA9DF2C750A.jpeg

In your first pic there is a lot of adjustment room in the tensioner pulley for that belt. I use an air or power ratchet to spin it after loosening the front nut. You should be able to level the PS pump after that.

In your first pic there is a lot of adjustment room in the tensioner pulley for that belt. I use an air or power ratchet to spin it after loosening the front nut. You should be able to level the PS pump after that.

yeah that was with the belt installed and tightened. Which is funny cause I had to run tensioner out far but that belt has no give and there’s no real good place to get a pry bar under the ps pump to lift it higher with the belt on. I threw the 22528 belt on and had no issues. I’m guessing it’s just the angles or something that makes it difficult to get PS pump higher with the 22570 belt on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom