FJ62/3FE desmog air pump bypass belt....the LONGER one?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhere in the volumes of desmog threads I found a post showing a slightly longer belt for the Air Pump delete, thought I saved it. Can NOT find it anywhere to save my damn life, the Search button will be sore tomorrow...I've worn it out.

The usual Air pump bypass belts are Gates TR22525 or Dayco 22528, my understanding is these do not go around the alternator.

I'd like to maintain dual belts on the alternator for redundancy....anyone know what this longer belt is??

I have a desmog kit from Lerms' customs that came with this belt. I'll try to remember to look at it tonight when I get home and let you know

So the one I got in the kit is a Dayco Top Cog Gold Label 22528. I don’t have the kit installed yet but hopefully that points you in the right direction.

I too want the long belt. I purchased the Gates 22525 and haven't put it on yet. I saw another thread indicating it might be the short one. My old MB 300SD had 2 belts on the alternator which was a nice backup. As soon as we find the right belt I'm ordering 2.

Ahh shoot. I didn’t reread the post when I got home to compare. Sorry about that.

You can always run string around the pulleys you want to route it and then measure that or take it to the auto store. They should have a belt measuring tool there.

@Dunbar PirateD!! good to see you pop in. That belt info is in here somewhere, think it was a link inside a thread inside a thread inside a link. Maybe I was hallucinating. The stock 3FE has two belts on the alt., I'd like to keep it that way.
@poptart yep that's the other next option.

Damn...found it. Amazing what a small adjustment on a Search will dig up. Looks like the longer desmog belt to incorporate the 3FE alternator is Dayco #22570 or also Napa 25-22570, found a couple different posts that confirm this.
@Dunbar

I'm going to order a couple and see how it goes.

I'm ordering one of these as well, not sure when I'll desmog. My FJ62 is up on jack stands right now getting a bunch done to it, but I'll be pulling the radiator soon so it seems like a good time to go ahead and do it. Honestly, didn't know this was an option. Thanks for the info

Great sleuthing. I'll order too.

Why not just eliminate it completely? I removed mine and installed a shorter belt. I understand the desire for redundancy on the alternator belt but these are pretty stout belts and you're also placing more load on the alternator bearing. I'd rather just keep a spare belt in the back.

Changing belts is a major pain in the ass that I don't want to do while stranded. I do carry extra belts but if my water pump works I'm driving the truck home.

Last edited:
Why not just eliminate it completely? I removed mine and installed a shorter belt. I understand the desire for redundancy on the alternator belt but these are pretty stout belts and you're also placing more load on the alternator bearing. I'd rather just keep a spare belt in the back.

Eliminate what completely?

Eliminate what completely?
Remove the air pump and don't use a dummy pulley in it's place. A Dayco 22528 belt works.

IMG_20200415_084235.jpg

IMG_20200415_084637.jpg

@YooperCruiser oh gotcha, yes that is the plan to completely remove the air pump with no dummy pulley, just like in your photos. The longer belt in question (22570) would accomplishes this and also wrap around the alternator. I like the idea of two belts on the alternator like the stock design (redundancy).

I’m considering both belt options. Either way, can’t wait to eliminate the smog pump...I have 3 of them bc of their aging issues.

@YooperCruiser did you remove the air rail or just plug it up? I don't have time to pull my manifold to properly plug the air rail holes but would like to eliminate the pump right away. I don't know if it would cause problems to leave the air rail in place with the pump removed.

@YooperCruiser did you remove the air rail or just plug it up? I don't have time to pull my manifold to properly plug the air rail holes but would like to eliminate the pump right away. I don't know if it would cause problems to leave the air rail in place with the pump removed.
I just plugged it up. Someday I'll remove all of it but I've had other priorities and it's running perfect.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and pull mine then. I also have the EGR delete parts that I'll do at the same time. BTW, my wife has 3 brothers and 2 sisters in the Marquette area so I visit there yearly if not more. I also know an eye surgeon with a simliar MUD name to yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom