FJ45 Troopy. What does this knob do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Water overflows my drip rail and comes inside via the corner glass.. I carry towel all time in back.

Another stupid question... what is consensus on closing the ambulance doors? Is it a slam or is it a gentle and firm push? A LC200 wants a gentle and firm push. An Airstream requires a slam.

So, leaking is just part of the fun of FJ40?

Nope. Just means you need to spend money on seals.

I just picked up from the Toyota dealership the cap to sides seal, the sides to tub seals, top of the windshield seal, and bottom of the windshield seal. There's some other packing seals that have to be acquired aftermarket.
I made friends with a parts dude at a small independent dealership, I'm super thankful he's excited about keeping another old Toyota on the road.

Water in your rig is inviting corrosion.

If you're in the time of year where they dump salt and chloride on your roads, please park it inside until the roads are free of that. These things rot out scary fast.

Another stupid question... what is consensus on closing the ambulance doors? Is it a slam or is it a gentle and firm push? A LC200 wants a gentle and firm push. An Airstream requires a slam.

I turn the handle a bit and push until I hear a click. Door slamming is for meth habits and screen doors at the trailer park when yelling at malnourished children in the yard next to your 92 IROC on blocks. 😆

I turn the handle a bit and push until I hear a click. Door slamming is for meth habits and screen doors at the trailer park when yelling at malnourished children in the yard next to your 92 IROC on blocks. 😆
😂

Day Three. The adventure continues.

Troopy was parked outside. It rained.

Entire back of the interior is wet.

Then, I went to fill it with gas. A strong gas smell became apparent. Gas was pouring out of the tank!

Seller says customs inspected the tank for drugs when imported. Maybe they didn't put it back together correctly. 🤦🤦🤦

Squawk list grows. (Although one squawk disappeared. I let it warm up a while today and second gear was fine.)

View attachment 2881222
oh no, they drugged the fj40. :p

So, leaking is just part of the fun of FJ40?
Nope My seals are good but probably need little silicone to seal the upper edges. The windows on the sides can be problematic but try and figure out where your leaking and go from there. I don't agree that you need to go out and buy all new seals...yet. If your rain gutter is in good shape you should not have too much water on other hand its impossible to seal em like they were when delivered (just my opinion and experience)

Another day, more problems.

On the rear door, the lower pin is no longer attached to the handle. It is free floating. I can stick my finger in the hole and move it to the left or to the right. The top pin is still functional.

Then, I had to jump start her, but I thought that was because it was 18F. I decided to let her warm up for a good while. I had the lights on and the heater on. At around 15 minutes, she abruptly turned herself off and then made zero noise when the key was turned in an attempted restart. I think alternator is inoperative.

When she is perfect, I will have earned it.

gas leaking: check the integrity of the soft lines at the tank

Troopy is parked at mechanic lot, so it's the first thing they see tomorrow morning. Leaking gas tank is top of the list.

Troopy is parked at mechanic lot, so it's the first thing they see tomorrow
You own a 40 series now. Time to learn how to wrench on it. Mechanics will rape you. ;)
Yeah, having owned two 200s, I didn't know Land Cruisers could break!

Troopy is parked at mechanic lot, so it's the first thing they see tomorrow

Yeah, having owned two 200s, I didn't know Land Cruisers could break!
As I mentioned you have great starting point. However, get some tools, this entire website is about helping others with their cruisers. It probably ran better before someone restored it!!

I was never raised working on cars. Now after numerous landcruisers and a very special 40 series I cut my teeth on by doing knuckle rebuild, new brakes, rotors and pads. There is somethng to be said about being able to pull your car into the shop and work on it. Something probably not likely with the 200 series.

As I mentioned you have great starting point. However, get some tools, this entire website is about helping others with their cruisers. It probably ran better before someone restored it!!

I was never raised working on cars. Now after numerous landcruisers and a very special 40 series I cut my teeth on by doing knuckle rebuild, new brakes, rotors and pads. There is somethng to be said about being able to pull your car into the shop and work on it. Something probably not likely with the 200 series.
When I was a kid, my first car was a 1985 Renault Encore. It was a piece of sht when it left the factory, and it was worse when I bought it. I remember doing brake jobs. The fourth wheel was so much quicker than the first. Now I have a real job, three little kids and too much to do. I may have to pay the mechanic to get this thing airworthy, and when my kids all go to college, I can learn to doctor this thing myself.

Just looking at your BaT pics again. IT is beautiful but do the kick vents work since they put speakers down there? Love the AC, that is on my list of things to do with the BJ45. Also saw on paperwork it was designated as a FJ45LV, didn't know they werer referred to as an LV?

Just looking at your BaT pics again. IT is beautiful but do the kick vents work since they put speakers down there? Love the AC, that is on my list of things to do with the BJ45. Also saw on paperwork it was designated as a FJ45LV, didn't know they werer referred to as an LV?
My 83 is designated as such.

1641221145425.png

Learn anything from the mechanic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom