FJ40 Rear Heater Lines Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm restoring a 79 FJ40 and was wondering if anyone has found a way or product that can be used to restore (patch & recolor) the rubber insulation on the copper pipes that run from the firewall to the rear heater.

I've seen a number of references to replacing them with rubber hoses but I'd like to keep the FJ as close as possible to factory original.

I've attached a picture of a section of the pipe I'm referring to. Other sections of the rubber are in much worse shape.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

upload_2017-2-6_12-37-38.jpeg

You might check out businesses that do home AC installs, they might have a thinner insulation for the tubing than you can find at the local hardware stores.

I ordered some of the smooth foam tubing from here. one piece was not long enough so there is a seem, but as long as the seam is on a straight section it is hardly noticeable. I think I ordered 5/8 & 9/16 & ended up using the 9/16, but not sure. It took some lubrication & encouragement to get the smaller size on but it fits better.

local heat/air places around here were useless.

Foam Tubes Manufacturer - Basic Foam Grips | GripWorks

Here is what I used just sprinkle some baby powder or similar inside to slide it on:

McMaster-Carr

I believe I got two lengths of it. Works great and looks like the old insulation. I'm assuming the diameter of your rear heater pipes are the same as my 74.

What Ginmtb said. I ordered the same tube cover material from McMaster Carr for my '77. Will post pics of my rebuild when it is further along

Here is what I ordered from McMaster-Carr:

4339T8 Weather-Resistant EPDM Foam Tube 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID, 6 Feet Long

It went on easier than I expected. I cleaned and waxed the pipe and then put powder inside the foam tubing. After that it was just a matter of encouraging onto the pipe. To keep powder out of the pipe I plugged the end with a rubber stopper and then just to be sure there wasn't any powder in the pipe I blew it out with a compressor.

Thanks ginmtb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom