Fan in heater box possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_2600.jpeg
Just wondering if anyone has tried putting a fan in a heater box. I have RHD BJ40 with no heater but I do have a LHD heater box and fan. I was thinking of putting the heater box in but with its own in built fan, would it work or am I being stupid?

IMG_2601.jpeg

View attachment 3570623Just wondering if anyone has tried putting a fan in a heater box. I have RHD BJ40 with no heater but I do have a LHD heater box and fan. I was thinking of putting the heater box in but with its own in built fan, would it work or am I being stupid?

View attachment 3570622
I tried it and it worked. My original wiring was a mess from the PO with no power to the blower. After I did a complete wire harness replacement I went back to the stock set up. That is the good part of the mod is it is easily returned to stock configuration.

That looks good, it will probably not have the CFM of the squirrel cage fan in the engine compartment, but it will certainly draw in air.

Nice idea.

I tried it and it worked. My original wiring was a mess from the PO with no power to the blower. After I did a complete wire harness replacement I went back to the stock set up. That is the good part of the mod is it is easily returned to stock configuration.
Thanks, my wiring is mess as well, it’s on the list. I think if it works enough to stop her misting up in Welsh rain it will be good enough for me.

Holy flashbacks Batman! I did that to my trail 40 back in…1988!

The brushless fans are only about $10 so if it’s not strong enough I guess I could put another in the bottom. It’s in tight without any fixings so I can always pull it out if it doesn’t work out

With low air flow the air will be more likely to short circuit. Air being discharged with head right back to the fan. If you have a high humidity problem will also have no way to bring in outside air. Once Toyota started building FJ40s with a heater designed just for the vehicle outside air. Canada 40s went a step further and required a vent relief in the back. This is to help with windows fogging up.

I really like Rain and Fog X window treatments. I built an aux heater box behind my front seats, has a fan and a heater core like the size of a Subaru radiator.

With the vertical glass well treated, I could just kick the rear bumper as a I was walking up to the rig and the ice and snow would fall off all the windows - no scraping required. I do all the outside light lens too. Some suction cup items might not stick to treated glass very well - clean the spot with like windex. The orange winter rain x washer is all I ever run. Above about 35 you don't need wipers most of the time - stuff just beads off and away.
At Halloween I do the windows inside and out, and spray the door gaskets with silicon so they don't freeze shut, plus a shot of wd-40 in the lock mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom