'72 Heater and Blower restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your work looks great! I am in the process of doing the same. What is the original color of the heater box? Pewter?

Good job.

I did my 1970 a while back. It is satisfying for it to look and function as new.

Mine had a muscle shell inside. There was no way for it to get in there from the outside. Maybe is was a little treasure left for me by a worker at the Toyota factory 53 years ago?

here is the blower fully assembled with new gaskets (I'll make a separate post for that)

tempImageoRr1sg.png

some pictures of the heater box after paint. not exact to the original (screws should be black, internal color is different etc) but the color is very close

tempImageJT95s2.png

tempImageCzcpzt.png

tempImageFVHRmB.png

tempImageZXoW6j.png

here is a comparison of the original color to the new spray (I think it's anodized bronze - I'll double check if you need) if you look at the base of the mounting brackets, that is the original color along with the stamping in white

tempImageqpi62f.png

here is the heater duct after cleaning and paint touch up of the brackets. this piece of plastic is probably the best of the whole vehicle.... I'm guessing because it's an Arizona truck it was never used and the one place that was out of the sun

tempImageE36N85.png

tempImageTouERz.png

tempImageYXqi4H.png

tempImageXwW0uR.png

tempImagewnBYAJ.png

tempImageWtM1pQ.png

do you have the rubber connector between duct and heater? or are you using something else? i’ll be doing something like this (but i’ll likely leave my patina) as soon as my parts arrive.

if there was connector on the duct when I got it I don’t remember or it was so bad it fell apart. At any rate, I ordered one from, I think, Cruiser Corps? I can look it up if you want. Not sure what the original ones looked like but the aftermarket version is just a rectangle piece of rubber sewed into a sleeve that slides over both ends… I thought it should be molded or at least something fitted. If thinking, I could do the same thing with a section of car inter tube

if there was connector on the duct when I got it I don’t remember or it was so bad it fell apart. At any rate, I ordered one from, I think, Cruiser Corps? I can look it up if you want. Not sure what the original ones looked like but the aftermarket version is just a rectangle piece of rubber sewed into a sleeve that slides over both ends… I thought it should be molded or at least something fitted. If thinking, I could do the same thing with a section of car inter tube
Original one is just that, a piece of rubber, non molded. I still have mine but it's in a box since it is overstretched and aging.

thanks. i saw the one from cruiser corps. the shipping g to canada more than doubled the price. i’m not going to pay $80 for a piece of rubber i can see myself. so that’s what i’m going to try to do! i have some neoprene so i’ll give it a go for nothing. i can always penny up if it doesn’t work.

i put the same question in your gasket thread. the heater foam looks like open cell foam while
the partspuzzel gaskets are closed cell foam. what exactly did you use for the heater box? did you buy a kit or just make your own pieces?

for the heater duct 'tube' I would seriously look at using a piece of inner tube - should be about the same diameter and wouldn't have the seem.

i put the same question in your gasket thread. the heater foam looks like open cell foam while
the partspuzzel gaskets are closed cell foam. what exactly did you use for the heater box? did you buy a kit or just make your own pieces?
Everything I used came from the same 'kit' (came with everything for both the blower and the heater - they sell separate as well) from parts puzzle. the flapper foam was a lighter, probably open cell foam. I assumed they wanted a lighter foam so conform better/ better sealing?
the end caps for the heater core were a denser, closed cell foam. The blower gaskets were all the same closed cell foam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom