Fj40 not wanting to come out of 4x4 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Asking for my step dad here.
A while back his 1973 fj40 was stolen from their property. Hey got it back thanks to Facebook but nothing legally could be proven…
A second attempt to steal it happened a few months later by the same people.
Anyways, it’s suspected that the thief’s drove the 40 on surface streets in 4x4.
Now my stepdad can’t seem to get it out of 4wd unless he first unlocks the hubs. Then it immediately will shift out if 4wd. He’s also noticing a shutter in all three gears when starting out in 1st-3rd.
He’s having issues with internet at his property to he asked if I’d ask the cruiser gods.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and relayed to ol’ step-pops.

Unless he has lockers front and rear, driving around on the street in 4WD isn't going to do anything except affect gas mileage. Getting it out of 4WD can sometimes be a little tricky but usually is resolved by putting it in reverse and backing up a short distance. After that shifting into 2WD is simply a matter of moving the shift lever.

is the stutter an engine stutter or a vibration? The flywheel might have hotspots from how the thieves drove it. If that is what it is, a resurfacing of the flywheel is needed to correct it.

Unless he has lockers front and rear, driving around on the street in 4WD isn't going to do anything except affect gas mileage. Getting it out of 4WD can sometimes be a little tricky but usually is resolved by putting it in reverse and backing up a short distance. After that shifting into 2WD is simply a matter of moving the shift lever.
No lockers. The cruiser was bought new by his dad in 73’. As a kid in the 80’s I remember taking the rig all over the mountains in snow and rain, on and off road. 4wd drive was regularly used. The issue only was noticeable after it was stolen so I’m just wondering what sort thing could be causing it. The thieves definitely drove it like it was stolen. Wondering if something could be causing binding enough to keep the 4wd from disengaging.
is the stutter an engine stutter or a vibration? The flywheel might have hotspots from how the thieves drove it. If that is what it is, a resurfacing of the flywheel is needed to correct it.
I’m really not sure but I’ll ask. I asked him if he thought it could be the clutch or flywheel. It’s hard to asses being that the rig is 4 hours from me.

Thanks the both of you

The shudder when changing gears is probably clutch chatter--inspect the flywheel and pressure plate. I always have to roll backwards and unload the drive line to get out of 4wd. It sounds like you need to install a hidden ignition interruptus switch on the battery ground.

Not sure I agree with no damage. Part time 4WD when in 4WD there has to be some wheel slipping. The two driveshafts do not turn exactly the same unless going perfectly straight. On hard surfaces it much hard for wheels to slip. With stock manual steering lock the hubs and engage 4WD. Then try the same tight circles in 4WD. Then try driving in tight circles in 2WD. Tat extra strain you feel is in the transfer case. People refer to 80 series as triple lock. That because the transfer case acts like axle with selectable locker. I can see it was actually driven around in 4WD with the hubs locked cause damage to the transfer case. Personally since this seems to be parked in a remote location where the home is vacant would deal with that problem first since it obviously a target for thieves.

I would change the fluid in all the gear boxes and look for metal. Make sure all the tires are the same. A lot of time I need to put it in reverse to kick it out 4 WD low or high if I have been driving very far in 4WD. +1 for a remote kill switch.

Hmmm. I get a little binding in the t-case when I drive in 4wd on dry pavement (which I try not to do, of course).

But 100% for the un-binding process

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom