Two 40 Series - which one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your friend is the only one that can really answer the question of if it is worth it. In the end it won’t be worth what he has in it. If you watch the classifieds here on Mud you will find a better deal and find plenty of cooperation getting it North of the border. The prices on Mud seem to be more in line with the actual value.

I would purchase something that runs so you can enjoy it for $15k. I assure you that there’s nothing worse than having $15k tied up in a project that you can’t enjoy.

Or tell him to be patient and save up another $5k and come south and drive/ship something home. It’s better to get something he can immediately enjoy than watching it languish in the garage. He could then do basic maintenance items/restoration. All while enjoying the 40 and driving it around.

From my experience you think you are saving money by buying a project. However finding the energy and time to work on it will be the problem. Ultimately saving you nothing.

Alright. Well he’s going to go through with it.

I told him I wouldn’t spend 15 grand on it, but he likes it - I also told him it’s possible it will sell for less when it’s complete.

Anyways, I’m going to help him build this 40.

The thing I really don’t like about it is the Nissan TD - that in my opinion makes it worth less.

I told him I wouldn’t spend 15 grand on it, but he likes it - I also told him it’s possible it will sell for less when it’s complete.

The thing I really don’t like about it is the Nissan TD - that in my opinion makes it worth less.

The FJ40 has an allure to it. Similar to "Christine". The beauty is there no matter what.

There's definitely a bit of blasphemy in a Nissan within a Toyota, but what are the specs on the motor, might be fairly awesome for a driver/wheeler.
Also, what tranny does it come with?

There's definitely a bit of blasphemy in a Nissan within a Toyota, but what are the specs on the motor, might be fairly awesome for a driver/wheeler.

anything other than toyota as a power plant could be thought as blasphemy but it could be unique and cool. no one gives much thought to swapping in a chevy or mercedes and as i have both i think it could be a nea alternative. it’s going to be a crap load of work though finding all the little things as mentioned earlier and yes i agree that having 15k (or more) locked up in a project that seems to sit forever does suck. hope he doesn’t end up feeling that way! i do right now (but i’m not giving up)

It's not. It's someone's abandoned project from yrs ago. That thing will nickle and dime you to death. Find something more complete. It's all the little things that will kill the project. It's easy to see all the big stuff, it's all the little stuff that you don't realize is missing. Things like every electrical component needs a separate ground, and all the small fasteners, body mounts, paint, brackets, hinges, weatherstripping and hoses etc. And when its done, it's a fiberglass 40.
^This^ right here says it all. I bought my rig in boxes thinking everything was there...boy have I gotten an education.

Nothing wrong with doing it his own way. Make sure you guys post up your build here. Will be cool to follow it and see what you build with it. Congratulations to your friend and welcome to the community.

It makes about 120 HP seems inferior to the 13BT - don’t know about the transmission, but I’m pretty sure it’s worthless.

A few years ago I bought a very similar abandoned project. It was a previously restored frame and axles with a 350/th350/toyota case and a Mallotte glass tub.

I think I paid $1200 for it...might've been $1000.

Anyway, I've since made the tub quite nice. It took an insane amount of work.

Follow my build thread, its old but I'm about to fill in the blanks and get it updated with all the tub modification stuff.

A few years ago I bought a very similar abandoned project. It was a previously restored frame and axles with a 350/th350/toyota case and a Mallotte glass tub.

I think I paid $1200 for it...might've been $1000.

Anyway, I've since made the tub quite nice. It took an insane amount of work.

Follow my build thread, its old but I'm about to fill in the blanks and get it updated with all the tub modification stuff.
Yes, no matter how many grounds you place to the body, nothing seems to work right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom