Two 40 Series - which one? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

I Forgot About the Women!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hi,

A friend of mine is looking at buying a 40 series project but isn’t sure if he wants to spend the money.

The project 40 series has a brand new fibre glass tub, and new body parts, new powder coated frame & axles, all body parts are there including a exoskeleton cage! Not to mention a Nissan turbo diesel - however, it just needs to be assembled. $15,000 for everything - that seems very cheap to me.

My friend isn't sure if they want to spend the money on the project - more over, they are looking at buying a cheaper option - another 40 series that’s VERY rusty but has a rebuilt Diesel engine, they think it might be a easier project.

Do you guys have any feedback on what a fair price for the disassembled 40 series is? Maybe in what he should decide on?

What’s the end goal? In my mind, a mess of someone else’s mish-mashed parts isn’t worth $15k when you can buy a decent running project for that or less.
Fiberglass tub, Nissan diesel, tons of missing parts that aren’t realized yet…. Most projects like this end up for sale in a few years in the same state, just with more parts added to the pile.
Sorry.

Depends upon how Rusty ? Rebuilt engine is a good thing as long frame /body will hold it .

“My friend isn't sure if they want to spend the money on the project” — all FJ40s are projects and cost more money than ever expected - in my experience.

The two described above sound like they will need work $ money. Not as cool, but a newer Jeep may provide a better purchase choice—parts are less and more mechanics will take on work.

“My friend isn't sure if they want to spend the money on the project” — all FJ40s are projects and cost more money than ever expected - in my experience.

The two described above sound like they will need work $ money. Not as cool, but a newer Jeep may provide a better purchase choice—parts are less and more mechanics will take on work.

I agree, if they are worried about the cost they picked the wrong vehicle. This hobby has changed over the years. In the 1990s was the hay day for cheap 40 series and parts.

Its only money and I wouldn't pay $15k for a project. Seems to me they should evaluate their skill level and tool inventory plus a place to work on a project first. Its not rocket surgery but it can be close.

You’ll spend a ton filling in all the missing parts. And at the end of the day a fiberglass tub FJ40 with a Nissan diesel may barely be worth the $15k paid for it.

We need pics to give better advise. Assuming your friend is up there near you the fiberglass is not a bad option. any idea what brand fiberglass tub? That tub, if it is a Gozzard brand, with supposedly "new" other body parts is easily worth half that price. All done frame and axles. Is it already set up for the Nissan? Guessing you guys would be doing the work? Maybe he could get it for less than asking price. I know in some other threads you mentioned how hard to find a decent priced 40's series was up there.

So I guess what I’m wondering is, are all of the parts of the incomplete 40 worth 15 grand combined. Sadly I don’t have pictures… the all the parts look really nice.

I believe the fibreglass body is aqualu…

Don't buy someone else's half-finished project, and a nissan diesel in a toyota is just wrong.

From doing restoration projects, estimate your costs and time and double both, and you'll be about in the ballpark.

If your friend doesn't want to spend the money, he should get a new truck.

Really why?
No thanks to a complete rust bucket, regardless of engine. Also, 15K for the described 40 is too much IMO. It'd be a consideration with a Toyota diesel, but then I'm not a big fan of diesel engines.

I would run away from the do-it-yourself project with its fiberglass tub and non-factory engine. Sounds like trouble. As others have said, the amount of rust on the other one would determine my answer there. Remember, even on something as simple as a 40, rust is like cockroaches. If you see some, there are a lot more hiding.

I would run away from the do-it-yourself project with its fiberglass tub and non-factory engine. Sounds like trouble. As others have said, the amount of rust on the other one would determine my answer there. Remember, even on something as simple as a 40, rust is like cockroaches. If you see some, there are a lot more hiding.

It needs a new roof. Body’s bad.

So I guess what I’m wondering is, are all of the parts of the incomplete 40 worth 15 grand combined. Sadly I don’t have pictures… the all the parts look really nice.

I believe the fibreglass body is aqualu…

Probably a gozzard. I don't think aqualu makes fibreglass bodies.

Not my first choice for sure.

Okay, tomorrow I am going with my friend to go and look at the 2 40 series, apparently the Tub is from California.

From the looks of it, the parts are all labeled and receipts are attached.

What is a good quality 40 series tub worth?

aqualu makes aluminum bodies and nice ones. if it’s fibreglass it’s not aqualu.

what’s the goal for your friend? if he wants a driver quickly to get out and play with the miss matched option is a no go for sure. if it’s a long term project that is unique and the money isn’t a deal breaker then the fibreglass and powder coated option may be intriguing. i started with a rough but complete fj40 with the intent of full customization. i’m 10 years in and 8 years behind where i want to be! it has cost me a lot and i’m no where near done! and i have all the parts i need at my disposal. when you start customizing something it will take deep pockets and more important if your doing the work yourself it’ll take a lot of your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom