Technical Details: Topnault's FJ40 Mid-70s Tubs and More (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tpclassic

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Many of you want to know the status of our mid-70s FJ40 tubs, and the status of our other FJ40 products. Meanwhile, we also need guidance from you all regarding some details and ideas. Therefore, I am starting this thread to report the progress of the program and initiate some questions for your valuable input.

Timing: We have once again postponed the first shipment as we require more time to ensure a better job. The initial shipment of 72-78 tubs is now scheduled for late August, with an expected arrival at our Temecula warehouse in the middle of September. This shipment will include one floor demo and some of the pre-orders.

Initially, we announced that the floor thickness would be 2mm (14 gauge). However, after creating a sample, we have recognized that it is overly thick and heavy (please refer to the photos and videos). Therefore, we intend to use the same tooling to produce the floor at a reduced thickness of 1.5mm (16 gauge), which, in my opinion, will be sufficient and even superior. Your feedback on this matter is highly valued, and we eagerly await your input.

Furthermore, it's important to highlight that the implementation of modern e-coating technology should alleviate any major concerns about rust. Your feedback is crucial to us, and we sincerely appreciate it.

Tim

Image_20230731093002.jpg
Image_20230731093022.jpg
Image_20230731093041.jpg
Image_20230731100603.jpg

WeChat Photo Editor_20230731101320.jpg

Image_20230731092949.jpg

Not a big deal but these are 9/72 (73 model) to 1/79. The locker striker plate changed 1/75. Tub change to accommodate the new striker. Not sure if it's possible to make the later style with an oversize floating plate that could be drilled and tapped for the style door be used? I also see the top of the rear wheel well is made like the q/79+ at the back. Not really a big deal as long as the rear sill is made for the four body mounts and not the two used on the 1/79+. The body mount style on the later one the frame is made with heavy reinforcements at that those two locations.

Why exactly is 16 ga sheet metal superior to 14 ga sheet metal, for a 40 floor? Other than allowing you to use lower press tonnages, that is.

I'll take one of the 14 ga rejects.

VERY interested.

Not a big deal but these are 9/72 (73 model) to 1/79. The locker striker plate changed 1/75. Tub change to accommodate the new striker. Not sure if it's possible to make the later style with an oversize floating plate that could be drilled and tapped for the style door be used? I also see the top of the rear wheel well is made like the q/79+ at the back. Not really a big deal as long as the rear sill is made for the four body mounts and not the two used on the 1/79+. The body mount style on the later one the frame is made with heavy reinforcements at that those two locations.
It's a big deal for me, and all owners of 9/72 and earlier, as I own a 1/72 and that floor pan is nothing like mine. It has no rear transmission hump profile and would my current underseat tool box be able to be reused?

I notice on your website that you list a chrome bezel for 1970-1978 FJ40s, but it says you are sold out. When will these be available again, and to be somewhat blunt, what it the quality of the bezel itself and the quality of the chrome?

I do want to be polite and tactful, but some made-in China products are low quality and some are excellent. I'd like to know where yours are on that spectrum.

My questions are : 16 ga floor is ok but is the rest of the body in 16ga metal ? Are their under bed channels. What thickness are the body mounts behind the front seats ? Front fenders ? windshield ? Some of these guys will be taking them off-road where some damage can be expected, so if any of the body parts are 18ga or lighter then it will be easy to get damage, dents etc...

My questions are : 16 ga floor is ok but is the rest of the body in 16ga metal ? Are their under bed channels. What thickness are the body mounts behind the front seats ? Front fenders ? windshield ? Some of these guys will be taking them off-road where some damage can be expected, so if any of the body parts are 18ga or lighter then it will be easy to get damage, dents etc...
I will find out but I don't see a slight chance the factory will use 18 gauge sheet metal for the under-floor channels and for the body mount brackets.

I will find out but I don't see a slight chance the factory will use 18 gauge sheet metal for the under-floor channels and for the body mount brackets.

please understand that the majority of us that are in the market for a replacement tub in the next couple years are seeking to purchase due to rust in our original OEM's

I fail to see how thinner steel in your aftermarket replacements would be desirable to us

please understand that the majority of us that are in the market for a replacement tub in the next couple years are seeking to purchase due to rust in our original OEM's

I fail to see how thinner steel in your aftermarket replacements would be desirable to us
This definitely is the best time to bring these questions up! I need to know also, thank you! We are finalizing the details of the tub and I already sent your questions to the factory.

I will dig more about this.

I notice on your website that you list a chrome bezel for 1970-1978 FJ40s, but it says you are sold out. When will these be available again, and to be somewhat blunt, what it the quality of the bezel itself and the quality of the chrome?

I do want to be polite and tactful, but some made-in China products are low quality and some are excellent. I'd like to know where yours are on that spectrum.

Our own factory does not have the license to do chroming so this was chromed by a third party. I inspected the quality of one of our chromed parts, and I agree with you - if I give a score on chroming quality, from 1-5 and 5 is the highest, I give it 2.5.

Quality is mainly the output of cost (surface prep, chrome thickness, shipping protection, etc). The price for this part is $235.77.

FJ40 Chrome Bezel.jpg

Our own factory does not have the license to do chroming so this was chromed by a third party. I inspected the quality of one of our chromed parts, and I agree with you - if I give a score on chroming quality, from 1-5 and 5 is the highest, I give it 2.5.

Quality is mainly the output of cost (surface prep, chrome thickness, shipping protection, etc). The price for this part is $235.77.

View attachment 3390501
Thank you for the reply, and for yourthoughts on the quality. The photo you provided is of the later bezel style. The 1970-78 style is different. The website says "Sold Out". Will they be available again, and if so, do you have any idea when that might be?

I'm jumping the gun a little as I'm presuming they will be available, but is it possible to be put on a mailing list when they are once again in stock?

Thank you for the reply, and for yourthoughts on the quality. The photo you provided is of the later bezel style. The 1970-78 style is different. The website says "Sold Out". Will they be available again, and if so, do you have any idea when that might be?

I'm jumping the gun a little as I'm presuming they will be available, but is it possible to be put on a mailing list when they are once again in stock?
We too were not quite happy with the chrome quality. However we do have the primed only front bezel (Front Bezel 70-78 with Primer, for FJ40, FJ45 Toyota Land Cruiser - https://tpautoparts.com/products/front-bezel-old?_pos=1&_psq=bezel&_ss=e&_v=1.0). I know some people paint it with metalic silver paint. I hope this is an option for you.

For anyone concerned about 16 ga not being "enough", keep in mind most of the original sheet metal is closer to 18 ga thickness, so even an increase to 16 ga is 20% heavier already. I agree that 14 ga. would be overkill for any body paneling.

Andrew
Thank you for the input!

Very interested in a set of these late model style doors!
EWheeler,

My impression from reading a number of your posts is you appreciate quality, and attention to detail. When I look at the photos of these half doors I see issues that shouldn't be there.

I say that because I have wanted nice half doors for quite a long time. Last winter I bought a set of pretty good (but not great) half doors on ebay. I have been working to improve them, and I see some of the same issues I'm addressing with these doors.

EWheeler,

My impression from reading a number of your posts is you appreciate quality, and attention to detail. When I look at the photos of these half doors I see issues that shouldn't be there.

I say that because I have wanted nice half doors for quite a long time. Last winter I bought a set of pretty good (but not great) half doors on ebay. I have been working to improve them, and I see some of the same issues I'm addressing with these doors.
Thanks for the kind words Jay. I appreciate craftsmanship and quality, for sure. But im also a cheap bastard and half a hack when fabricating things for myself, and i know the effort, time and skill it takes to get things near perfect. I just dont have the paitence or desire to ever get things anywhere close to perfect, nor do i want to pay for perfect. I do have a set of late model shells that i could build my own half doors with, but its likely better use of my time to spend the scratch to get some prefabbed ones, even if they need some tweaks.

Topnault has publicly here on the forum been super receptive to constructive criticism, its obvious they care about their product and customer satisfaction, so maybe bring up the issues you see and they can be addressed if they deem the effort worth the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom