Technical Details: Topnault's FJ40 Mid-70s Tubs and More (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your products look very nicely made. I have questions regarding the transmission tunnel, why are there two holes on either side of the tunnel towards the fire wall end?
What is the gauge of the steel used?
Thanks, Jim

Your products look very nicely made. I have questions regarding the transmission tunnel, why are there two holes on either side of the tunnel towards the fire wall end?
What is the gauge of the steel used?
Thanks, Jim

Cowl vent drain hoses go through there on Non-US models

I was not aware that earlier models had vent drains penetrating the tunnel. Never too old to learn something. Are plugs available for the drain holes?

74 even thought the vent was welded shut on the US the drains followed previous years with drain thru the firewall. 75/76 drain for the cowl working or welded shut went thru the transmission cover. After that models with a factory heater the holes were not thru. Model without a factory heater had the drain holes in that location until the end of production.

I was not aware that earlier models had vent drains penetrating the tunnel. Never too old to learn something. Are plugs available for the drain holes?

No plugs available. Grommets were used on non heater models and 75/76 heater models still had drain hoses until Toyota just removed the vent completely when a heater was installed.

Thanks, Guess I could always weld them up. The thing is my welds aren't very pretty.

It's body work, you're going to be grinding down the welds anyway. Then smoothing them out so they're non existent. A good welder doesn't have to grind as much, but he still has to dress the welds. Or find a plug somewhere. I'd start with McMaster Carr, if that's the plan.

Last edited:
Thanks. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. I'm familiar with blending and have an account at McMaster Carr. Hadn't thought about checking with them though.

Now the final step was done! the tubs were coated with electrostatic primer and ready to be packed and shipped!

Once they arrived (around next month this time), we plan to always keep one floor demo at our Temecula store. Welcome to stop by and check out!

26201 Ynez Rd., Suite 102, Temecula, CA92591, tpautoparts.com, Tim

Image_20230920022107.jpg

Image_20230920022114.jpg

Image_20230920022044.jpg

Do you make fj45 tail gates with the embossed Toyota Logo?

Please forgive me -- I need to make sure more people see this and save:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

🚀 Ready to Get Started and Save Big?

Join our Affiliate Program effortlessly by visiting tppartswholesale.com or simply clicking this link: topnault.affiliatery.staqlab.com/partner. Let's embark on this adventure together and unlock up to a jaw-dropping 20% in discounts and rewards!

🌟 Who Are We & Our Mission?

Meet Topnault – Your ultimate source for OEM and aftermarket auto body parts. Our mission is clear: to offer top-quality products and unmatched service to our valued customers.

Explore Our Product Lineup:

FJ40 and FJ45 body parts (1975 – 1978 and 1979 – 1984).

Classic Defender 90 and 110 body parts (1983 - 2006).

Datsun 240z body parts for added style and performance.

📞 How to Connect:

Ready to dive into the world of Topnault? Reach out to us:

🌐 Website: tppartswholesale.com

📍 Address: Ynez Rd, Suite 102, Temecula, CA 92591.

📞 Tel: 909-834-8777

📧 Email: tim@topnault.om

And guess what? You can meet us in person at the 2023 SEMA show, booth number 24687. Look for Tim and discover even more exciting opportunities! Don't miss this incredible chance to join the Topnault Affiliate Program and earn discounts and rewards of up to 20%. Your journey to savings and success begins now!

Hi guys,

the long waited production level 75-79 FJ40 tubs will dock at Long Beach on October 15 and will be available to show in our Temecula warehouse starting from October 20th. Everyone is welcome to stop by and check their quality! I hope you all like it!

In case you cannot make it during our business hours (Mon-Fri from 8:30AM to 5:00PM) we can make special arrangement for you during the weekend. Just message me and we can schedule.

For those who cannot come to Temecula, you can find us at SEMA show (10/31 - 11/2) at Topnault booth #24687 in the Restoration area.

Don't forget to join Topnault Affiliate Program and save more!

Flyer B.png

Tim, there is a stiffener (inverted hat section) that is welded to the underside of the 1977 tubs (and probably earlier, but I can't find any documentation on when it was added and what production years carried it), at the seam where the floor rises behind the front seats. This stiffener is mounted across the floor, from the driver's side to the passenger side.

This is a common rust area, since the hat section is upside down and holds water and dirt. I couldn't find details of the underside of the '77 tubs on your website, but I thought since this was a welded component of the full floor you might be able to supply this part separately. This would be beneficial, since a replacement would save a floor if it was rusted and the floor was salvageable.

Not trying to detract from the OP's thread or anything...

Cool Cruisers used to make that channel. It's pretty simple. I purchased one a few years back just for insurance. Not too expensive as I recall. I think they make the mid floor panel above it as well.

Definitely a deal on the part:
1696528761254.png

I couldn't make it for that, and that's about what I'd expect it to be priced at. Their other underbody channels are a different story...I could buy a brake and the sheetmetal and make it myself for what they want just for stringers.

Tim, here's your competition:
1696528891687.png

1696528911911.png

1696528933255.png

Now this is the 4th revision of the mid 70 tub. The customer for this unit was very happy after examined the built quality and said “very good quality, huuuge difference”!

There are limited quantity available in our California warehouse but you can always place pre-order! You can place your order from tppartswholesale.com or email me at tim@tpclassic.com. Or you can call me during business hours at 909-834-8777. Tim

4629e51c71413efbcb8b2c57dbb3cc1a.jpeg
6c7308d73e515f68c1f1f94d4561478c.jpeg
389730f0d76a680e9c3c8ee455313feb.jpeg
81db4140286fbdfdb93d367c53d083da.jpeg

That looks a lot better than the one in the other thread, 78 I beleive. What can be done about the quarter panels? Looks like the joint is off where they make the corner meet the side. It may be an elusion?? Thanks for getting these to the U.S. The sheetmetal looks good, and the fitment is getting better. I like the nut serts added for the hard top. Does it have them for the roll bar as well and the bottom bracing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom