Technical Details: Topnault's FJ40 Mid-70s Tubs and More (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is a SA model cruiser, we didn’t get barn doors with two holes in the hinges like this. The American versions all had the three holes and bracket like the gentleman posted above.

View attachment 3417556
Do we have this type of license plate holder in America?

ebf395b6ebdaef81b1e8391c9c4c8cf2.jpeg

1693657484320.png

Do we have this type of license plate holder in America?

View attachment 3417608

Yes that was a change in early 1974. Last year for the barn doors in the US market. Most barn doors had the other style. Ambulance doors actually started 4/72 in some markets. US it was 1/75 so all of ours had the later two light license plate holder.

Never heard of different hinges being used on hard top models is other markets. I know the two piece ambulance doors used on non US soft top models only had two screws per hinge. Thought all hard top barn doors used three.

For comparison. my 1977 rear full height doors:

Rear Doors, full size.png

and my new (to me) half doors (year unknown, maybe @Living in the Past can identify the year)
EDIT: Patrick says 1970

20230902_083102.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect the next question is "does the two hole hinge variant line up with two of the holes on the three hole variant"? That would certainly make it easier for topnault to add a third hole+capture and knock out two variants at once (increasing their sale options).

The SA cruiser license plate bracket pic they posted looks like the same license bracket for the 79 US variant.

I suspect the next question is "does the two hole hinge variant line up with two of the holes on the three hole variant"? That would certainly make it easier for topnault to add a third hole+capture and knock out two variants at once (increasing their sale options).

The SA cruiser license plate bracket pic they posted looks like the same license bracket for the 79 US variant.

Columbia, Venezuela and Brazil used locally made body parts or breakdown kits. So wouldn't count on anything matching up unless it was made by Toyota in Japan.

Believe all van and soft top models made in Japanese used this style license plate holder from 74 on. Pickups had a different style. There are different metal strips that are used to hold the wiring. Believe I have three different style of strips in my collection of license plate holders. That is something that could be easily added later.

Tim,

I appreciate your desire to create parts that are correct, as opposed to parts accurately described as "wrong, but will fit”.

In that light, I took some photos of the correct mounting bracket, the license plate bracket that attaches to it, as well as a door. Then I put all three together as they would be installed.

Here’s the mounting bracket. The four holes toward the corners are where I drilled out the spot welds that held the bracket to the door. In the center raised section, the two smaller holes are where the license plate light attaches, and that also secures the license plate bracket to the mounting bracket. The larger center hole is for the power wire that feeds the license plate light.

View attachment 3416259

Here’s the license plate bracket.

View attachment 3416260

And the door. You can see two holes at the bottom. There are captive nuts inside and that's where the license plate bracket attaches with bolts. The hole just above the center is where the wires that supply power to the license plate light pass through the door.

View attachment 3416261

And everything positioned the way they would be installed.

View attachment 3416262

I hope this helps...
Jay, are the two bottom holes on the door catch nut holes? Could you take a measurement on the 3 hole locations and dimensions? Thank you!

What are the marks near the hinges the arrows point to? the other arrow is pointing to the side mirror holes, Is it possible to not drill the mirror holes in some doors and give people the option? I would prefer to not have those drilled out in my set, if possible! :)
1693878364238.png

What are the marks near the hinges the arrows point to? the other arrow is pointing to the side mirror holes, Is it possible to not drill the mirror holes in some doors and give people the option? I would prefer to not have those drilled out in my set, if possible! :) View attachment 3420105

The 3 larger holes are for side view mirror. The small dots are spot welding marks. All these doors are built the same and your door are already on their way to us.

HALF DOORS!!! :) I looked online and saw that my order had been delivered to my address so sent a message and found out doors were shipped today. If you ordered doors, they should be on their way. I also see online that they are SOLD OUT!!! I am not right all that often, lol, but I was right when I said these would be gold. I hope they fit well, I'm looking forward to replacing my vinyl half doors.

HALF DOORS!!! :) I looked online and saw that my order had been delivered to my address so sent a message and found out doors were shipped today. If you ordered doors, they should be on their way. I also see online that they are SOLD OUT!!! I am not right all that often, lol, but I was right when I said these would be gold. I hope they fit well, I'm looking forward to replacing my vinyl half doors.

Hopefully going to do a write up on the install?

I had previously informed the customers that our 75-78 FJ40 tub would be shipped in July, but the workload turned out to be much higher than anticipated, and the delivery time has been delayed until this month. Despite being much slower than expected, we have achieved precise product quality: our 75-78 FJ40 tub is now in the production phase and ready for shipment at any time.

Thanks to the hard-working crew on the production floor! We will soon see these tubs in Temecula store in California!

tpautoparts.com (Topnault) Tim

Image_20230917080216.jpg
Image_20230917080124.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom