FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Int in one for my F

Please add me to your list for a 1978 2f.

roger_murdock_blog.gif

No, No, No, Headers literally melt inside thermal wrapping, they end up full of hair line cracks. Dragster guys wrap their Headers for 1/4 mile, then remove and rebuild engine before re-wrapping for another 1/4 mile.
I know you’ve responded to one of my power steering conversion posts regarding seeing my headers wrapped in an associated photo. At the time, I replied that they had been wrapped for many years with no ill affect.

I bought these headers from Downey around ‘85. They have been wrapped this entire time. I’m curious why they haven’t cracked and speculate it might have been made a different way or a type of metal used? I can’t believe they’re a one-off fluke. The wrap keeps my engine bay quite cool even in 110deg weather and if these could be duplicated somehow others would have likewise success?

I know you’ve responded to one of my power steering conversion posts regarding seeing my headers wrapped in an associated photo. At the time, I replied that they had been wrapped for many years with no ill affect.

I bought these headers from Downey around ‘85. They have been wrapped this entire time. I’m curious why they haven’t cracked and speculate it might have been made a different way or a type of metal used? I can’t believe they’re a one-off fluke. The wrap keeps my engine bay quite cool even in 110deg weather and if these could be duplicated somehow others would have likewise success?

He always says that. I too have never in 25 years of headers and wrap seen the wrap destroy a header.

I don’t know of any drag car team that takes the wrap off and then reapplies it between runs. Maybe NASCAR back in the day, IDK. I know that on dad's methanol-fueled Super Comp dragster, the engine would cool off enough to comfortably touch the headers once it was in the pits just by idling it back to the pits on the return road. Didn't run wrap on the headers either.

Top Fuel, Funny Car, Top Alcohol Dragster and Top Alcohol Funny Car rules require double-pipe insulated headers. The double tube must extend to start of bend at bottom of body. For "Advanced E.T." classes (6.00 to 7.49 seconds E.T., so Top Sportsman, Top Dragster, Pro Mod) double-pipe or thermal-wrapped insulated headers are mandatory on supercharged, methanol-burning bodied cars, but not on dragsters. This is more about fire suppression than anything. Classes below 7.50 E.T. are silent on header insulation.

But friends: we're talking about a 2F here. It's lower displacement, lower compression, and is operated at a lower RPM than your typical 'racing' engine. (Well, maybe you can run your 2F at over 6,000 RPM, but not for long.) The typical 2F probably doesn't run very lean, either.

Even the typical SBC conversion probably doesn't use a 10:1 CR and run 14:1 AFRs at WOT and > 6,000 rpm continuously. (Now someone will claim they do.) Most tuners strive for under 14:1 AFR at cruise and under 13:1 at WOT, because pistons are expensive.

Yeah, one can build a hot-rod 2F. I have @FJ60Cam building a 4.4L 'high' compression 2F for me with the Carrillo rods.

Headers (as well as cast manifolds) do oxidize with time, and wrapping a header does tend to keep the header material hotter. Increasing the heat will mean the header oxidizes faster. Oxidation will also tend to take place in the bends, or other places with high turbulence. I don't want to get into the physics of it, but it's fairly simple to understand. Thermal stresses will be highest in the bends as well.

The combination you don't want: continuous high temp operation with lower grade ('mild') steel and small radius bends. This doesn't tend to describe your typical LandCruiser drive. (I admit nothing!)

But reduced oxidation is one of the reasons we went stainless.

:worms:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom