Expedition Portal - Why the 80 is the next classic 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
An article that most of us probably agree with:

Not sure how wide the distribution is for that site but a few more articles like that and the inexpensive 80s will probably disappear.

It's obviously written by someone who's spent some amount of meaningful time with the 80. Totally agree on all points made; in particular, #1. I've said this here several times, it's the oldest LC you can drive daily comfortably here in the US. The only other LC model I'd give up my 80 for is a brand spanking new 70 series, but that's neither here nor there as a US resident.

If I were to write a deeper cut addendum to the article, I'd highlight the following based on my ownership experience thus far:

-One of the most attractive options along the vendor support front is additional, reliable, "curated" power by dudes like Joey at Wits' End (turbo for the 1FZ-FE). I do want a little more go from my LA crawler.

-Available and growing --> high quality, modernized (just so), well executed bumpers from legit fabricators like Delta Vehicle Systems

-"" suspension components from folks like DVS. If you want to fit 35s, there's zero chopping or cutting necessary. OME 2.5". DVS arms. Nitro 4.88s. Refresh OEM suspension rubbers --> beautiful ride in a pretty damn affordable package.

-Old school ergonomics - Pre-airbagged out A/B/C/D pillars; Range Rover command style seating with '96-'97 having the best dashboard (shallow, squared design). Makes you feel like you're sitting in something more like a 40 series than a new Highlander. You feel closer to the action.

Only real risky downside is insurance. It's in this odd purgatory phase of not being valued as a classic vehicle (e.g. 40), but many owners, like myself, use it as I would a Prius.

Awesome article as a rising tide raises all boats - thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
There is certainly 'something' about owning and using an 80 for what it was designed for, I have never had a car longer than around five years and I have had my fair share, and yet I have just entered ten years with my 80. With Spanish regulation making modifications extremely expensive, along with non committal insurance companies it does restrict your planned mods.

Despite this I have found the 80 incredibly able in it's all but stock configuration, value is of little concern to me, I reckon I will die owning it. By coincidence the other day I was chatting to a friend about my wealth, or rather lack of it and inheritance when I die, and I said the only thing I worry about is the fight over the 80, and he replied very quickly with "No there will be no fight Dave, it's already mine, bring the fight on!".

That is coming from someone who could afford a new LR...or two and yet would prefer my 25 year old 80.

regards

Dave

I would never have bought an 80 12 years ago if it wasn't for the diesel and parts availability for international travel. Really doesn't matter what you drive, you need parts to play. 80's and parts used to be cheap - not anymore. Replacement parts for the 70 Series are usually half the price, which doesn't wheel as well, but neither do most overbuilt 80's. 70 Series seem to be the only budget friendly option now.

With that said - I'll never willingly sell my HDJ80. If they were still made today - I would actually buy something off the Toyota lot.

Last edited:
I would never have bought an 80 12 years ago if it wasn't for the diesel + international travel. Really doesn't matter what you drive, you need parts to play. 80's and parts used to be cheap - not anymore. Replacement parts for the 70 Series are usually half the price, which doesn't wheel as well, but neither do most overbuilt 80's. 70 Series seem to be the only budget option now.

The upfront cost of acquiring a 70 is a lot higher though.

Compared to what? J7's are HALF the price for pretty much lego which make them quite bit easier to wrench on (diesel). Good luck getting into a ready to roll factory LHD HDJ80 for under $45k.

USA Problems

Compared to what? J7's are HALF the price for pretty much lego. Quite a bit easier to wrench on (diesel). Good luck getting into a ready to roll factory LHD HDJ80 for under $45k.

Compared to what? J7's are HALF the price for pretty much lego which make them quite bit easier to wrench on (diesel). Good luck getting into a ready to roll factory LHD HDJ80 for under $45k.

$45k? I didn't think they were that much. Depends on what you mean by "ready to roll" I guess.

LEFT HAND DRIVE, < 200k kms, HDFT, minimal rust, all mechanical 100% rebuilt i.e. ready to hit the road for a year.

Yes, left hand drive, I saw that part. Still surprised that $45k would be the going rate. I remember looking at some European classifieds about a year ago when I was 80 shopping (Germany and France mostly) and I remember them being in the $20k-30k range once converted to CAD. Perhaps they've gone up since then.

Considering the price of new & used parts these days and that one is also saving 100's of hours vs a swap, $45k would actually be a fair price for a well-sorted HDJ80.

80's only need to be restored every 25 yrs and that's good news for the younger generations who are just waking up to fact that they were sold a steaming pile of Engineered Obsolescence at the dealership.

Cruisers are now becoming a symbol of longevity or "Muy Fuerte" in the disposable era. I used to park on Main and very few even new what an 80 was. Now, lots of 👍

Last edited:
I reckon I will die owning it.
Dave 2000, i don't know if you have any grand kids or not, but if you do, then do like what I'm doing. I've already got my 9 year old granddaughter out on the trails teaching her how to drive, (my trucks an automatic) and how to pick the best route up a trail. My other granddaughter, and grandson are still to little, but God willing I'll get to teach them too. I'm planing on willing them my Land Cruiser, so I've decided to start infecting them with 80 fever while their still young. So far my plans been working pretty well.

Considering the price of new & used parts these days and that one is also saving 100's of hours vs a swap, $45k would actually be a fair price for a well-sorted HDJ80. One can spend $3k EASY just restoring our doors with OEM parts. Then there's days spent finding discontinued replacement parts at any price.

80's only need to be restored every 25 yrs and that's good news for the younger generations who are just waking up to fact that they were sold a pile of steamy Engineered Obsolescence at the dealership.
Planned obsolesce is a real thing in every industry right now including automotive, but the Tacoma and Tundra are not good examples of that. Many out there with hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles. They're not the perfect vehicle for sure, but nothing is. Both US Toyota trucks are very trusty and can be expected to last a very long time.

Google Tacoma Frame Issues.

Worked at a mine that was bought out by Imperial Metals, a Japanese Company, and all surface trucks were switched to Tundras from 2000 - 2004 Duramax Chevs. Those were some pissed off mechanics!
I am aware of the frame issues, Toyota spent millions replacing frames for people and rectifying that problem, outside that those trucks are essentially bullet proof. A poor steel vendor is not planned obsolescence. Just like the Tacoma, the 80 series can have headgasket issues, phh problems, leaks on leaks on leaks, EGR issues, slow windows, leaky front knuckles, etc. is that planned obsolescence as well?

Planned obsolescence is BMW idrive, the entirety of Tesla, $3,000 head light assemblies, etc. Big difference here.

-Old school ergonomics - Pre-airbagged out A/B/C/D pillars; Range Rover command style seating with '96-'97 having the best dashboard (shallow, squared design). Makes you feel like you're sitting in something more like a 40 series than a new Highlander. You feel closer to the action.

Agree with everything but the 95-97 dash :wtf: 91-94 dash is where it is at.

LEFT HAND DRIVE, < 200k kms, HDFT, minimal rust, all mechanical 100% rebuilt i.e. ready to hit the road for a year.
Personally, I wouldn't want to purchase an import LHD HDJ80 in most cases. Some decent Canadian examples can be found, but there are rust issues with many and Canadian Cruisers are similarly used like US Cruisers. That can often be pretty rough. The other LHD market for diesel 80s is primarily South America. Generally speaking, South American Cruisers are used HARD (commonly much harder than US ones) and can be more neglected in terms of maintenance. It might be a cheaper way to acquire one, but if you pick up a South American diesel 80 series I would definitely budget for some extensive refurbishing of the drivetrain and other mechanicals/electricals.

On the flipside, most Japanese import 80 series are not abused anywhere close to the same level as South American ones, and even US ones. They are generally pretty low miles for their age and commonly maintained at a higher level. Yes, you have the downside of RHD, but they will command higher prices purely because of the condition of most of them. I'd much rather deal with a right hand drive, than the headaches that can come from a South American one with questionable use and history.

BTW, the article on ExPo was written by Matt Scott of Adventure Imports (Maxtrax, etc dealer for the US).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom