Why did Toyota get rid of the 9.5" front diff for the 80 series? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speaking of Jeeps, and I hope you'll all humor me here, I do find myself questioning why Toyota never made a direct competitor to the Wrangler/Rubicon with linked solid axles in a compact package. I understand Cruisers are designed more for long-term durability , but how many American consumers are buying something to drive on rough washboard roads for 25 years?

If the made something like the 73 series below, or with roughly the same dimensions and design cues, and similar axles to the Dana 44s in the Jeep (8.2s, 8.4s, 9.5s, whatever), I think they literally couldn't make enough to keep up with demand.

The pitfalls of the newer Jeeps are electrical gremlins and shocking build quality. A Toyota version of the same vehicle would likely fix that. Y'all can go ahead and tell me I'm dumb or naive for this, but I can't help thinking this was a huge missed opportunity to wipe the Wrangler off the map.

1705712734706.png

Speaking of Jeeps, and I hope you'll all humor me here, I do find myself questioning why Toyota never made a direct competitor to the Wrangler/Rubicon with linked solid axles in a compact package. I understand Cruisers are designed more for long-term durability , but how many American consumers are buying something to drive on rough washboard roads for 25 years?

If the made something like the 73 series below, or with roughly the same dimensions and design cues, and similar axles to the Dana 44s in the Jeep (8.2s, 8.4s, 9.5s, whatever), I think they literally couldn't make enough to keep up with demand.

The pitfalls of the newer Jeeps are electrical gremlins and shocking build quality. A Toyota version of the same vehicle would likely fix that. Y'all can go ahead and tell me I'm dumb or naive for this, but I can't help thinking this was a huge missed opportunity to wipe the Wrangler off the map.

View attachment 3537129
This is a lesson on how to derail a thread !!

but how many American consumers are buying something to drive on rough washboard roads for 25 years?

Landcruiser was never designed for USA.

Toyota has sold more than 10 million landcruisers.
More than 10% are sold in Australia. So over 1 million
Vs 53,000 total Landcruiser sales in USA.

Compared to Jeep sales, nearly 700k per year. ( not sure how many are wranglers)

I don't think Toyota is interested in trying to wipe Jeep off the map.

Last edited:
100% weight savings and less NVH and more robust reliability paired with available power trains. All of the 70 series trucks went to the same setup as well At roughly the same time (phased in by market and platform).

Toyota knows what they are doing.
We always Analyze these to the Fourth Decimal Point then always come away with same Conclusion.

"Toyota knew what they were Doing" or "Damn they Smart"

We gotta get Smarter and Trust them, and Say our Prayers that we Aren't *eep Owners.

**Now Why they used Fine Threads on everything on Back Bumper has me Perplexed since if strength was a Consideration they should have went up One Size.
Same with Tie Rods (Fine Threads) when they could have Used Coarse thread and Jam Nut Design for Components in Harsh Environment.
Heat is your Friend in these Cases if you want to Keep Originals - Not Propane, but Acetylene.

We always Analyze these to the Fourth Decimal Point then always come away with same Conclusion.

"Toyota knew what they were Doing" or "Damn they Smart"

We gotta get Smarter and Trust them, and Say our Prayers that we Aren't *eep Owners.

**Now Why they used Fine Threads on everything on Back Bumper has me Perplexed since if strength was a Consideration they should have went up One Size.
Same with Tie Rods (Fine Threads) when they could have Used Coarse thread and Jam Nut Design for Components in Harsh Environment.
Heat is your Friend in these Cases if you want to Keep Originals - Not Propane, but Acetylene.

You do realize that the usage for Toyota is based off of standards. Toyota doesn’t make s*** up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom