Exhaust over or under frame, options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy fellas. i just bought a cxracing header with the straight outlet. it says straight outlet is for auto trans and or fuel injection.. and the curved up for manual/carb.

my exhaust is pretty awful, the previous owner removed the cats and i wont replace them. id like to find other options.

Untitled by bill bill, on Flickr

i plan to beat on this truck a bit and i have a couple questions. any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. has anyone with an auto gone above the frame? kits/full systems available?
2. would a set of sliders help keep the exhaust safe if it went under the frame?
3. does anybody have any good pictures of over the frame setup, there doesnt seem to be much room between frame/floor
4. google yields few results with "cat back" systems, i found a borla system, are there others? over or under..

I built my own with 2.5” SS process plumbing parts. 1fze, A343, exhaust over the frame.

There are pics somewhere in this thread:

Last edited:
I kind of wish someone would just replicate the EMS setup with high quality materials it seemed to be a pretty decent way to go.

I have the old EMS system that goes over the frame. If you search I’m sure you’ll find plenty of pictures and hate.

Start with a down pipe from a 105 and you begin inside the frame rails, no need to go over the frame.
Any pictures of this? The 105 y pipe fits with an auto?

Would it be easier if someone built an exhaust pipe that includes the cat and the muffler that exits before the rear tire that tucks up high enough to not get in the way of sliders?

Go over the frame routing like a 93-94 1fz truck.

Also, you can go between the trans and the frame right off the factory manifold.

What’s the difference between OTRAMM’s exhaust & EMS exhaust...?

I'm fairly certain EMS went from the manifolds back including the Y pipe. @OTRAMM's assumes you're using either the stock Y pipe or the real Magnaflow Y pipe. I guess it'd probably fit the Bosal crap too but why would you.

I am intrigued with the 105 down pipe, do you know how much of the exhaust will cross over?

FYI, if you do go over the frame, you’ll have to remove that rubber block(damper) from the side of the transfer case. No harm in it disappearing and you won’t have room with it there anyhow. Took me a while and plenty of reading and frustration to figure this out.

i HAVE @OTRAMM Exhaust Header to tailpipe and other than tearing the super heavy SS pipe at the hanger on Imogene( pipe shattered like a bottle) its stood up perfectly and has well over 50K on it, and it sounds very serious.

I am intrigued with the 105 down pipe, do you know how much of the exhaust will cross over?

All I have seen is the 2' of down pipe off the exhaust manifold used. Im finding the 105 down pipe hard to located and pricey. Not sure Im willing to send $$$ to the middle of nowhere and hope.

I wonder if the 105 down pipe is as restrictive as the one on the 80 series.. I know the motor got some upgrades!

Mine is a '96, auto with stock y pipe. I had the cats modified so that I could run the exhaust over the frame.

I went over the frame. Pics are in my "build thread" (click in the 1997 FZJ80 in my signature). Used the magnaflow down pipe (real one) and a rod builders kit from summit racing. I did not have to remove the weight from the side of the T-case but I do have a 1 inch body lift that I had previously installed to clear the 33's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom