easy place to put a cheap oil pressure guage on oem straight 6 engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just get a Tee from your local Ace Hardware store and screw it into the same place that the stock sender is at.

The OME gauge in my 72 never worked right when I got it in 82. I bought a nice illuminated oil direct read oil gauge. I made a mounting bracket that clamped onto the steering column. I used some fuel hose over the skinny nylon oil tube from the back of the gauge to the engine side of the fire wall - will prevent a face full of hot oil in the event of a tubing failure. I also have a block off plug for the fitting on the engine to seal that end too, carried in the ash tray. Been there since 83.

fj40 1977
Here's how i did it on an early 2F without an oil cooler...

20231210_113720.jpg

20231210_113700.jpg

Not so fast. I believe that the threads are BSP ( British Standard Pipe). McMaster-Carr sells a BSP Tee then you can buy an adapter to screw on a NPT fitting. I have all the part numbers if you need them.

McMaster-Carr
4443K835 High Pressure 316 Stainless Tee Right Angle 1/8 BSPP female x 1/8 BSPT male
4092K711 Precision Extreme Pressure 316 Stainless 1/8 NPT Female x 1/8 BSPP Male (Gauge screws directly to this)
4443K806 Straight Connector with Hex Body BSPP Female
If you are installing an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that has a 1/8" NPT thread into a Toyota engine block you need this adapter. The threads are very close but not the same, trying to screw 1/8" NPT into your block will do damage or leak.

This…
Amazon product ASIN B08LQN61K6
…along with a standard Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge and fittings and the OEM low pressure sensor in the stock gauge location to get to this on the motor…
IMG_4411.JPG

…and mounting the gauge using existing holes under the dash (so it can be removed for full return to stock without additional “PO” holes) to get to this in the cabin…
IMG_4412.JPG

…allows the existing OEM pressure gauge (in this early ‘63 it’s a low pressure light in the cluster) to remain functional.

But maybe this is an insegrevious post since we’re talking a 2F and not an early 1F. But I got to show off a bit. 😉

Last edited:
Brilliant

This…
Amazon product ASIN B08LQN61K6
…along with a standard Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge and fittings and the OEM low pressure sensor in the stock gauge location to get to this on the motor…
View attachment 3504003

…and mounting the gauge using existing holes under the dash (so it can be removed for full return to stock without additional “PO” holes) to get to this in the cabin…
View attachment 3504002

…allows the existing OEM pressure gauge (in this early ‘63 it’s a low pressure light in the cluster) to remain functional.

But maybe this is an insegrevious post since we’re talking a 2F and not an early 1F. But I got to show off a bit. 😉
nice adaptor,,thanks, i didn't know about those threads,, i would have jammed a regular 1/8" pipe in there probably

nice adaptor,,thanks, i didn't know about those threads,, i would have jammed a regular 1/8" pipe in there probably
That's the same adapter that I bought a few months ago, it works perfectly.

20231006_163637.jpg

@middlecalf - now that you have proved the concept, you might want to switch from nylon to copper tubing. The world is littered with stories of blown engines due to plastic oil pressure gauge lines leaking. This would create an insegrevious situation. The copper tubing kits are ~$13, or you can just buy copper tubing bulk and likely re-use most of your fittings and ferrules. Also, be sure to use grommets and protection where the line passes through the firewall.

^great tech. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom