Oil pressure gauge needle adjustment? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My oil pressure gauge needle in my BJ40 rests way below the 1st marker. I mean, it's bottomed-out. When the B engine cranks up the needle rises (significantly) to a position just past the 1st marker on the gauge. It would appear that the engine is producing good oil pressure, but not as indicated on the gauge. I've seen many photos of OPG's that have their needle resting at the 1st marker.

Is it possible to take off the oil pressure gauge and manually adjust the needle's resting position?

Never worked on a BJ40. I would think its possible to tweak the needle, but I would first check actual oil pressure with a separate gauge that is direct reading as in no transducer. 3 things I can think of is actual low oil pressure due to a worn pump/or the bearings, a bad sender if you have one or the gauge itself. Does it have an oil pressure regulator assembly - if the could need adjustment due to old weak or broken springs.

Don't adjust anything until you put a gauge on it with actual #'s on it, so you can confirm you actually have good oil pressure when the engine is hot. Anything less is just guessing. Then confirm you have the proper oil sender that's compatible with your gauge.

My 2 cents.

I agree with @pb4ugo, all fj40 gauge readings are a bit of a guess without more sophisticated measuring tools.

There are no numbers on the gauges so you only have the needle swing from low to high to determine if you have good temp/pressure/fuel/amp in your truck.

But once you are confident that you have good pressure, Toyota allows some adjustment.

I always have wondered how the gauges get so far out of whack. I have seen them so low they are off the face of the gauge.

That is 3 cents so I will stop 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom