1984 BJ42 3B 24v Oil Pressure Gauge Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to replace the aftermarket guage that came with my truck. It has wires to the light but what looks like a tube to the guage. What I am looking for, for a replacement is it just a mechanical guage if I don’t want a light?

I put in a direct read OPG in my FJ. It has a nylon skinny tube from the back of the gauge to where the sender unit was on the F engine. I used a 2+' long piece of fuel hose to contain the oil line from the gauge to the other side of the fire wall - that way if the tube broke I wouldn't get a face or lap full of hot oil!

I wired in the light with the rest of the dash lights - I scan the instrument panel and the review mirror often - no surprises!

I put in a direct read OPG in my FJ. It has a nylon skinny tube from the back of the gauge to where the sender unit was on the F engine. I used a 2+' long piece of fuel hose to contain the oil line from the gauge to the other side of the fire wall - that way if the tube broke I wouldn't get a face or lap full of hot oil!

I wired in the light with the rest of the dash lights - I scan the instrument panel and the review mirror often - no surprises!
This is awesome, thanks, when I disconnect the existing one and put on the new one do I need to bleed the line or anything? or is there basically no pressure if the engine isn’t running

I think the oil bleeds back when the engine is off. When it is started again, oil goes up the tube and the trapped air will transmit the pressure well enough. That fitting going into the block is some what special. If you search the site I think its some sort of British pipe tap - not the same as American pipe tap - there are adapters I'm sure or you can make one.

I just used a scrap piece of road sign (sheet aluminum) with the proper size hole for the gauge and then bent/formed a tab to hose clamp the assembly on the base of the steering column. Still there since about 1984.

I think the oil bleeds back when the engine is off. When it is started again, oil goes up the tube and the trapped air will transmit the pressure well enough. That fitting going into the block is some what special. If you search the site I think its some sort of British pipe tap - not the same as American pipe tap - there are adapters I'm sure or you can make one.

I just used a scrap piece of road sign (sheet aluminum) with the proper size hole for the gauge and then bent/formed a tab to hose clamp the assembly on the base of the steering column. Still there since about 1984.
This is great, thanks again, I will give it a go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom