Early window vent gasket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nifski

SILVER Star
Threads
Is there a source for the front windshield vent gasket? We are restoring a 1964 fj40, it looks like this gasket is the hinge and the knob pushes the vent out and in, any insights for restoring this or a link to a thread would be appreciated!

I think 40 or 60 mil EPDM roofing rubber can be cut to size. Still on my list of things to do. I have to use a spot weld cutter on my truck as the older trucks had welded vent pieces that sandwiched the rubber. I think 64/65 Has bolted back pieces to sandwich the EPDM which should make it a lot easier.

Is there a source for the front windshield vent gasket? We are restoring a 1964 fj40, it looks like this gasket is the hinge and the knob pushes the vent out and in, any insights for restoring this or a link to a thread would be appreciated!

is yours bolted or spot welded together? lots of penetrating oil on the bolts as they will break easily.

is yours bolted or spot welded together? lots of penetrating oil on the bolts as they will break easily.

ive taken to using a small die grinder to cut sideways into the nuts just beyond the threads of the studs. Leaves 4 out of six sides on the nut, and the extra heat makes ‘em come off...every time.

Of course, more challenging with the retainer on the windshield frame.

ive taken to using a small die grinder to cut sideways into the nuts just beyond the threads of the studs. Leaves 4 out of six sides on the nut, and the extra heat makes ‘em come off...every time.

Of course, more challenging with the retainer on the windshield frame.

I'll try and remember that trick

SOR used to sell them.
I have an NOS one if anybody thinks they can reproduce it

The SOR ones fall apart 10 min after you finish installing them. (the real story: I have had bad luck with them recently, had 3 fall apart within a couple months after i installed them, they crack right along the hinge area.)

I smell a group buy!

I'm willing to handle the payment/logistics if it works out.

His notes say it will not work on the welded vent flap. As i have not seen both side by side, are the spot welds in different locations than the bolted vents or are they different sizes? Mine needs a new seal but have never taken it apart to get a good look at it. I have thought about just cutting a piece of 60mil epdm roofing material and using that. The roofing material should stand up to the UV light and assuming that thickness would work, you could make them for less than $10.00 a piece with scraps from a friendly commerical roofer. @Splangy can you measure the thickness. Again, i have not taken mine apart so if there is more to this, let me know. Also for those who have the bolted flap, any chance you can provide the number of bolts and the size of those bolts? I am thinking it would be best to weld a stud to make mine a bolted flap to make it easier to deal with in the future.

His notes say it will not work on the welded vent flap. As i have not seen both side by side, are the spot welds in different locations than the bolted vents or are they different sizes? Mine needs a new seal but have never taken it apart to get a good look at it. I have thought about just cutting a piece of 60mil epdm roofing material and using that. The roofing material should stand up to the UV light and assuming that thickness would work, you could make them for less than $10.00 a piece with scraps from a friendly commerical roofer. @Splangy can you measure the thickness. Again, i have not taken mine apart so if there is more to this, let me know. Also for those who have the bolted flap, any chance you can provide the number of bolts and the size of those bolts? I am thinking it would be best to weld a stud to make mine a bolted flap to make it easier to deal with in the future.

I haven’t seen his Repop, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t be compatible with the bolted and welded one. You have to drill out the welds to install a new one, anyways.

SOR still sells one for $20

I replaced one on a early welded vent before without undoing the welds. Had to clean out the old rubber from the vent door, then cut the middle out of rubber flap, then stuffed it into the cleaned out metal vent/door.
If i took more time with it, it would come out pretty good ( looks a little sloppy), it was a last minuet idea that works and could be improved upon.

Im wondering if this is how it was supposed to be replace before the vent with the removable back plate was introduced .Looking at the FJ25 parts book, replacement rubber looks to have the middle hollowed out to replace it the way I did.

IMG_3363.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom