Early vs late 60 front axles … same? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiserTrash

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
cruisertrashparts.com
Doing some research here and can’t find anything on this subject via search.

Early 60s, before the transmission spacer was added, have a shorter front driveshaft with a CV joint at the t-case end and a single u-joint at the diff. Later 60s with the transmission spacer have a longer “regular” driveshaft with a single u-joint at both ends.

So my question is this: were the axles different to accommodate the different driveshafts? For early 60s you’d want the diff pointing up at the t-case (to get the u-joint aligned with the driveshaft angle). In later 60s you’d want the diff flange parallel with the t-case flange, roughly level with the ground (maybe +/-2*). The caster spec on both is +1* however.

So we’re early 60s “clocked” differently, like in how the knuckle balls were rotated at installation? Maybe the stock suspension was low enough in stock form where they didn’t worry about it.

I have heard 62s did have the diff pointing upwards more. I don’t know any of the reasons why that would be (A440 longer than the H42?), but it shows Toyota had this on their mind at some juncture in the design process.

Curious minds want to know…

The only difference I'm aware of in any 60 series axles is that those rare beasts that came with factory cable diff lockers have different axles.. otherwise all 60 axles are the same, late/early/diesel/petrol/LSD/Open

only difference might be the diff flange where the driveshaft bolts to being different
along with the above

difference on the 62 housing is the factory added a gusset underneath on the long side of the axle

the basic housing never changed how it was setup, any is interchangable with another

No, the axles for USA market trucks are the same 80-87. The only change is the flange on the differential which can be swapped as required.

The only change came with FJ62 with gussetted front housing, 4.10 gears, improved/vented front rotor backing plates.

The change for early/late H42 is all in the driveshafts.

All I know is the flanges are different, as well as the pinion angle.

That tells me what I need to know. Thanks y’all. Sounds like Toyota’s approach was that on stock suspension it was close enough before and after the 1984 transition to not warrant any axle changes.

@woytovich I read a very old thread you were commenting on that is tangential to this. What did you ever find out about the geometry of DC shafts in early 60s? Anything?

Thread for reference

I believe the early 60 front driveshaft was double cardan.

yes it was, it was located at the transfer case end not the axle end

Last edited:
@FJ60Seth @3_puppies correct. Early 60s had a double cardan front driveshaft up front, with the DC joint at the t-case and the single u-joint at the diff. I wonder why Toyota did that and why they changed it when they added the transmission spacer in 84/85, and they apparently didn’t alter the axle at all. I want to wrap my head around the original engineering choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom