Drawer System or No Drawer System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went the DIY route using 3/4" birch plywood. They're not perfect but the wood itself is super sturdy. I've had them in for about 25k miles and they're still going strong with minimal rattle. I daily my car and love having them back there to keep all my tools in the car and have them locked up without worrying about my stuff getting stolen (I live in Houston). Never felt like I really needed the full cargo space or wish they weren't in there. I don't think I'd go without them in future cars.

View attachment 3414378View attachment 3414379
Wow. Looks like you did a great job with them. I use to live in Texas, those drawers can keep those fresh tortillas from HEB warm on camping trips as well.

I built mine during some time off during the Covid outbreak in 2020. Mostly 5/8" plywood with 3/4" maple for the drawer faces. I used polyethylene for the sliders instead of typical drawer slides.

I don't camp as much as I'd like, but I find them unobtrusive for daily use. I also like that I can keep my tool bag and recovery gear locked up, out of the way and out of sight.

D2A374C7-C66E-4C32-959D-753A95D49532.jpeg

I'm a fan of drawer systems, have run a few versions over the years including DIY and ARB. You can get really used to knowing where a bunch of stuff is, where it goes when you're done with it, lot less digging when out camping etc. Plus when not camping I like how clean it all looks, plus the fridge slide, place to mount fuse panels & charge controllers, add 12v sockets, the list goes on. You can see a lot of that in this pic:

I recently installed the OVS cargo box drawers, it's a smaller size, low-cost alternative to some of the others out there. Not trying to sell you on that approach but if you want to see more I did make a video, feel free to hit me up with any questions. drawers — Gamiviti - https://www.gamiviti.com/drawers
went with the OVS as well.. only a single on the passenger. will do a fridge slide on the driver. Just enough room for everything I need.

20230917_140241.jpg

20230917_140153.jpg

20230917_140141.jpg

Made this today.

20231001_140353.jpg

20231001_140502.jpg

20231001_140508.jpg

Had just a shelf in there for the dog before. It was a hassle to take in and out. Basically had to be assembled in the vehicle.
This setup, yank the drawers, four thumb screws to remove the two halves of the shelf. Box slides out the back.

Now I'm thinking of a box that could hold up just the shelf halves for the dog, but be open underneath. I do use that space occasionally for things that wouldn't work with the drawers.

Made this today.

View attachment 3444999

View attachment 3445000

View attachment 3445001

Had just a shelf in there for the dog before. It was a hassle to take in and out. Basically had to be assembled in the vehicle.
This setup, yank the drawers, four thumb screws to remove the two halves of the shelf. Box slides out the back.

Now I'm thinking of a box that could hold up just the shelf halves for the dog, but be open underneath. I do use that space occasionally for things that wouldn't work with the drawers.

Amazing workmanship! Any reason you left the jumpseat in place rather than taking them out?

If I daily drove my truck I would not want a drawer system. You do loose a lot of cargo carring ability. Especially if a fridge gets bolted down. My truck is a toy and I’ve got a M101a trailer to use if I need to haul something large. Over the years I’ve run a home build platform with action packer boxes below it. Now a set of custom spec Drifta Drawers. The drawers allow you to access half your cargo without unpacking. That is the big advantage. I choose Drifta’s as I could spec the dimensions I wanted and I love the table that stows above the right drawer. If I had the time and tools I’d homebuild but wood shop is not my hobby. These drawers are the same height as the closed tailgate.

IMG_0476.jpeg

Amazing workmanship! Any reason you left the jumpseat in place rather than taking them out?

Too much effort to put them back in if I need seats for some reason, and I don't feel you gain much space. If you built something to go over the wheel wells and into the space the seats currently are, you'd have to put it in, in pieces, and even then I don't know if there's a way to Tetris them into place. Or, you'd have to pull the top.

I wanted this easy to yank out when needed.

Drawers you just lose cubic footage, but you gain organization and I would think some safety in a roll over

Last edited:
sogncab,

What kind of rear bumper is that?
Custom.

I designed it, mocked it up out of plywood, and had a fabricator bend up and weld it together. PRLC finished it off by doing the swing outs for me

I built mine during some time off during the Covid outbreak in 2020. Mostly 5/8" plywood with 3/4" maple for the drawer faces. I used polyethylene for the sliders instead of typical drawer slides.

I don't camp as much as I'd like, but I find them unobtrusive for daily use. I also like that I can keep my tool bag and recovery gear locked up, out of the way and out of sight.

View attachment 3418568
Where’d you source those grab handles? I like those.

While drawers can certainly be cleaner and more tidy, I didn't like the lost storage volume that comes with it (not to mention expense) - my $.02.

I went with this solution and couldn't be happier. I still keep everything organized under that platform (recovery, camping, cooking, others) and have plenty of room leftover. The flip top makes everything easily accessible - here's my finished build.

Good luck!

If you only go camping on occasion, I might not bother. I have a half width low profile (8" ?) drawer that I made for my FJ55 that now fits perfectly in the 80. On the other side is a fridge slide. I can sleep inside the rig if necessary. It stores some tools, spare parts, recovery equipment, marshmallow skewers... And takes up very little cargo space.

Also agree on the cargo “loft.” Mine is a piece of wire closet shelf from Home Depot, zip tied to the grab bars. Nothing heavy ever goes up there. But that could change.

Last edited:
Lower profile and an attic rack is where it’s at for this kinda thing. You can still haul most stuff and you have. Lot of other stuff stored away and outta sight. I have found that keeping stuff in totes and what not is more imcumbering on cargo space when trying to fit bigger bulky items in that area vs a low profile drawer set up as your only constrained by over all height

My old set up, just haven’t had to replicate it in my new 80.

Just installed the AirDown GearUp in mine. I really like how organized my daily carry is now and I can rearrange dividers as needed when I camp. And that top bit folds out to a sleeping platform.
IMG_8265.jpeg

Made this today.

View attachment 3444999

View attachment 3445000

View attachment 3445001

Nice work!

Kinda looks like you took too much outta the side panel, but realistically, you not likely to put much weight up top anyway I guess

Nice work!

Kinda looks like you took too much outta the side panel, but realistically, you not likely to put much weight up top anyway I guess

Dog mostly. Plywood is a lot stronger than people think, and there's a lot of structure there in a small amount of space.

Dog mostly. Plywood is a lot stronger than people think, and there's a lot of structure there in a small amount of space.
No more snacks for doggo then! :lol:

I agree plywood has a lot of inherent strength. I'm sure it'll be fine. Looks spindly at a glance, but I like the weight reduction! Really creative

I work in construction, and we do a lot of high end commercial fit out stuff.
So much of the joinery items have carcasses similar to what you've done. They remove maybe 70-80% of concealed flat panels to reduce weight, easier to transport and install, and make it easier to run cabling for speciality lighting etc.

I find it interesting.
For the companies producing it, they still purchase the same amount of material, have a stack more machining to be done (CNC cutting tables), and a load more rubbish to manage at the factory, but the weight reduction alone offsets all that.

I find it interesting.
For the companies producing it, they still purchase the same amount of material, have a stack more machining to be done (CNC cutting tables), and a load more rubbish to manage at the factory, but the weight reduction alone offsets all that.

I own one of the companies doing it. 😆

The machining doesn't add up to much on the cnc. Each one of those holes takes maybe 7 seconds to cut out. My machine spits out a sheet on average in six minutes cutting out cabinet parts. Those parts took a while, but I had some profiling toolpaths in there too that are slow.

It's amazing how much less stuff gets damaged when it's lighter. A few years ago I started trimming weight out of things when I could, and in some cases even adding handles cut into the parts to make it easier to carry. Sometimes you just build a giant beast and you're f'd through and through....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom