How good is access to cooler/fridge on a drawer system? Any real-world examples of how accessible your cooler is on an ARB Drawer System or similar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have spent hours searching different drawer system photos regarding fridges or coolers. 90% of these photos are just glamor shots of the fridge sitting inside the rig all tucked away on the drawer system. I just picked up a used ARB drawer system in the classifieds (thanks!) with the drawer slide, but its so high I don't know how accessible it would be if I bought a fridge. I see there's now a mini-revolution of slide/tilt brackets to angle the fridge down a little, as my setup already has a slide I am wondering how (at least for the last 10 years) all of these fridges on the ARB style or Dobinson style drawer systems were accessed.

I guess my main question is: how much room do you have when your fridge is opened to access your cooled goods? does it hit the hatch or body? does using a strait slide improve access for something like the 50qt ARB fridge? Anyone with photos of an opened fridge that they can share to show how much access they have?

thanks in advance!

I had the DFG Drawers in my GX460 with the built in fridge slide. I felt it was a bit too high for my liking as I couldn’t open the fridge all the way without opening the door. Sold off the drawers and installed a straight slide on the floor of the cargo area. Much better. For reference I’m 6’ tall and my GX is on a 2.5” lift. Sorry, no pics with the drawers installed.

thanks for the reply, that's kind of what I figured. the 100 series has a little bit more of an opening maybe, but not much. I am currently running a RTIC ice chest so its not a problem as I can remove the chest, but the long term goal would be to ditch the ice.

What size fridge are you using? I am hoping a longer/shorter fridge may allow for enough of an opening to be functional. something around 16"-17" tall maybe instead of those super deep units. I'm probably looking in the 40-50 L range myself to feed me and my family for 2-3 days...

thanks for the reply, that's kind of what I figured. the 100 series has a little bit more of an opening maybe, but not much. I am currently running a RTIC ice chest so its not a problem as I can remove the chest, but the long term goal would be to ditch the ice.

What size fridge are you using? I am hoping a longer/shorter fridge may allow for enough of an opening to be functional. something around 16"-17" tall maybe instead of those super deep units. I'm probably looking in the 40-50 L range myself to feed me and my family for 2-3 days...
I started with the SetPower AJ50 (53 quart) when I had the drawers but when I sold the drawers the guy wanted the fridge as well so I sold that one. Then I got an Amazon brand 55 qt unit that I still have but we use it in the wife's Tundra to / from events or in the house when we need it. I then got a SetPower 69qt unit for a 2 week CO trip that didn't arrive in time and used the Amazon one on that trip. During the trip I discovered that I really wanted a dual zone so on Black Friday I ordered a SetPower TC75 (80qt) and this thing is a monster. I had to completely reconfigure the cargo area of the GX to accommodate this thing. But I know I won't need anything else anytime soon.

Last edited:
I have a 43 quart fridge on a set of Land Shark drawers on a DFG tilting slide. My 100 has around a 3" lift. Even though I'm under 6', I don't have much trouble reaching in, but sometimes have to climb up to look in.

Resized_20200704_150239_1182852933538721_1704906432228.jpeg

Resized_20200704_150246_1182876047331525_1704906455337.jpeg

Hi all,
I have spent hours searching different drawer system photos regarding fridges or coolers. 90% of these photos are just glamor shots of the fridge sitting inside the rig all tucked away on the drawer system. I just picked up a used ARB drawer system in the classifieds (thanks!) with the drawer slide, but its so high I don't know how accessible it would be if I bought a fridge. I see there's now a mini-revolution of slide/tilt brackets to angle the fridge down a little, as my setup already has a slide I am wondering how (at least for the last 10 years) all of these fridges on the ARB style or Dobinson style drawer systems were accessed.

I guess my main question is: how much room do you have when your fridge is opened to access your cooled goods? does it hit the hatch or body? does using a strait slide improve access for something like the 50qt ARB fridge? Anyone with photos of an opened fridge that they can share to show how much access they have?

thanks in advance!
Something similar to this? I don't have a pic of the fridge drawer sliding out, the pics you see is the same drawer slide mechanism. The fridge slides out on the left drawer and is easily accessible. This is a 63 qt ARB fridge.

Gil 80 Series_LowRes-45.jpg

I would go with Dr. Gil style, just remove the top and build a brace if nec, set fridge in drawer, done.

I was looking at those, how is the box vented to get rid of heat ?

I like the idea of a drawer fridge, but I already have the ARB system. Something like that DFG tilting slide works likely since my concerns, I'll give it a look.

If cost is not a major concern, the Clearview Easy Slide works perfectly for this situation. With a regular slide and the fridge on top of the drawers there was no way my wife could reach in, let alone see what was there, but the Easy Slide drops the entire fridge down to tailgate height with minimal effort.

Ilove this setup, easier access without having to get out of the truck!

Hi all,

thanks in advance!
My choice was to install the ARB Outback slider/tooldrawer for the fridge on one side and if you need more than 1 drawer for storage, you can stack them. The black bracket on the slide holds my National Luna 50L fridge/freezer securely so I don't need to worry about bungie cords or ratchet straps and mounts. This older pic, used for clarity, is before I added some other equipment, such as the Delta attic rack, Puma 12v air compressor and tank. There's enough room to open fridge door about 3/4ths, but not all the way with slider retracted. With slider extended, fridge door can be opened to the point where it stays open. With my 2.5" lift, and being 5'9", I can see inside most of fridge/freezer compartments, but to see to the bottom, I need to either get on the tailgate, or stand on something. IMHO, a tilt extention would be a nice upgrade for my setup.
IMG_0794a.JPG

Buy a fridge and find out.
Chest or vertical.
Be a (wo)man.

Seriously what else are you going to do with something you've already bought?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom