Drawer System or No Drawer System (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I admire the functionality of the drawer systems I see in people's rigs. I've seen very high end systems and DIY systems. I only go on camping trips from time to time and may venture into overlanding in the near future. What I am wondering if whether the benefit of having a "system" of some type in the back is worth losing the flexibility of just an open cavity of space that can respond to any hauling need. Thanks in advance for sharing from your experience.

Totally worth having a drawer system for many reasons for daily use. Keeps all of my emergency equipment organized, fast and easy loading for my camping boxes and supplies, sleeping platform, I still have 1/2 to 2/3 of my open space, I use the drawer slide and my fridge multiple times per week. Imagine grocery shopping and not having to rush home. I always have cold water and snacks in my fridge,

If you are concerned about losing the open space for hauling you can rent a small trailer.
6.JPG

Disregard everything outside the red box.
A low profile set of drawers leave alot of space to be used as needed.
This is a mid-build pic of sorts. The far right side doesn't have a drawer on mine due to other devices installed in that area.

edit: the 'attic rack' also allows for a good bit of out-of-the-way storage.

IMG_20200904_181534717.jpg

Totally worth having a drawer system for many reasons for daily use. Keeps all of my emergency equipment organized, fast and easy loading for my camping boxes and supplies, sleeping platform, I still have 1/2 to 2/3 of my open space, I use the drawer slide and my fridge multiple times per week. Imagine grocery shopping and not having to rush home. I always have cold water and snacks in my fridge,

If you are concerned about losing the open space for hauling you can rent a small trailer.
View attachment 3395537
Is that a fishing pole rig on the ceiling?

Disregard everything outside the red box.
A low profile set of drawers leave alot of space to be used as needed.
This is a mid-build pic of sorts. The far right side doesn't have a drawer on mine due to other devices installed in that area.

edit: the 'attic rack' also allows for a good bit of out-of-the-way storage.

View attachment 3396356
Cool. Where do you buy the attic rack?

Cool. Where do you buy the attic rack?
I got the brackets from...https://www.deltavs.com/all-products/fj-fzj80-lx450-ceiling-storage-bracket
Went with the unfinished version as they disappear once a shelf is in place. Think there are a couple other places now too since I've bought them.

Then put in whatever metal shelf you want. Mine is 48"x18" in black but you can go skinnier, like 48x12. Could go wider @ 48x24 but that limits access to it from the rear for larger items. Can still access it fine from over the second row tho. Think I got the shelf off Amazon. It's just a standard metal wire shelf.

I guess it depends on your rig. I got a set for my GX460 and found them to be more of a hassle than help due to the side swing door. If I'm going camping / overlanding then I have my squaredrop in tow. It's a pain in the ass with the dual swing out rear bumper and the side swing door just to get in the back, then add the camper (I'm getting the tongue extended soon to help with this) and then you need something in the drawer. I got rid of them and haven't really missed them. If I still had the LX450 I could see the benefit as it would be much easier to get in and out with the split fold down gate like in the 2 pics above.

I'm a fan of drawer systems, have run a few versions over the years including DIY and ARB. You can get really used to knowing where a bunch of stuff is, where it goes when you're done with it, lot less digging when out camping etc. Plus when not camping I like how clean it all looks, plus the fridge slide, place to mount fuse panels & charge controllers, add 12v sockets, the list goes on. You can see a lot of that in this pic:
IMG_9183.jpg

I recently installed the OVS cargo box drawers, it's a smaller size, low-cost alternative to some of the others out there. Not trying to sell you on that approach but if you want to see more I did make a video, feel free to hit me up with any questions. drawers — Gamiviti - https://www.gamiviti.com/drawers

IMG_9550.jpg

I've been so tempted by the OVS drawers since I first saw them. Such a great combination of features at a good price.

They just seem a bit too short for a 100.

In fact , it also has space for the stove but the truck was propped up due to the sloping ground so my midgetiness could not comfortably cook with the stove on the the pull out. So I just took it out and used the table instead …

If you’re new to camping or a casual camper, there’s no need to rush into drawers. You will know when it’s time. I’d say, allow yourself to get one “thing” after each camping trip. At the end of the trip, think about which one “thing” would have made your trip more enjoyable. Eventually, you will get to drawers.

How often do you need the space? Drawers are awesome when you're camping, but sometimes get in the way for daily use. If you need to use your rig as a daily driver then skip the drawers for now and just use boxes. Once you start camping more, the constant digging and rearranging all your stuff due to the lack of organization is probably going to annoy you enough to get some drawers. That's the real benefit of drawers, you can access items without having to constantly move things around. Because no matter what it is, that one thing you need right now is always going to be at the very bottom of all your stuff.

Last edited:
I admire the functionality of the drawer systems I see in people's rigs. I've seen very high end systems and DIY systems. I only go on camping trips from time to time and may venture into overlanding in the near future. What I am wondering if whether the benefit of having a "system" of some type in the back is worth losing the flexibility of just an open cavity of space that can respond to any hauling need. Thanks in advance for sharing from your experience.
The answer to your question is conditional to the situation. If you're at the mall or Costco on a shopping trip with the family or helping a friend move, your answer will be different than most other times. But, most other times, a drawer system is worth it. I went from a DIY to a fairly high end ARB system and unless you have exceptional fab skills, don't waste your time and money on a DIY setup. Also, if you do a DIY system, avoid wood. Wood is fine for stationary type environments, but with the constant vibration in a mobile environment, with out using a buttload of glue, wood seems to come apart and be reduced to sawdust. High end systems are designed for vibration exposure and mine is still as tight today, as it was when installed over 10 yrs ago.

Almost embarrassed to show my DIY attempt that worked fine for a while using under the bed storage containers and plywood:
HPIM0559.JPG

Finally graduated to the ARB "Outback" drawer system for my 80 series:
IMG_0794a.jpg

The answer to your question is conditional to the situation. If you're at the mall or Costco on a shopping trip with the family or helping a friend move, your answer will be different than most other times. But, most other times, a drawer system is worth it. I went from a DIY to a fairly high end ARB system and unless you have exceptional fab skills, don't waste your time and money on a DIY setup. Also, if you do a DIY system, avoid wood. Wood is fine for stationary type environments, but with the constant vibration in a mobile environment, with out using a buttload of glue, wood seems to come apart and be reduced to sawdust. High end systems are designed for vibration exposure and mine is still as tight today, as it was when installed over 10 yrs ago.

Almost embarrassed to show my DIY attempt that worked fine for a while using under the bed storage containers and plywood:
View attachment 3409097

Finally graduated to the ARB "Outback" drawer system for my 80 series:
View attachment 3409101
Thanks for the insights. Even with the mall and Costco, I am not sure I would ever use that much space. Helpful to understand the disadvantages of a wood DIY build. I like your current set up. What are those black metal looking bars on each side of your wheel bump?

Thanks for the insights. Even with the mall and Costco, I am not sure I would ever use that much space. Helpful to understand the disadvantages of a wood DIY build. I like your current set up. What are those black metal looking bars on each side of your wheel bump?
They are for the 3rd row seats which I don't use anymore. I just never have removed them. They're sometimes useful for tie downs, but have never been in the way. BTW, the cargo screen is optional and for family setup, could get in the way.

I went the DIY route using 3/4" birch plywood. They're not perfect but the wood itself is super sturdy. I've had them in for about 25k miles and they're still going strong with minimal rattle. I daily my car and love having them back there to keep all my tools in the car and have them locked up without worrying about my stuff getting stolen (I live in Houston). Never felt like I really needed the full cargo space or wish they weren't in there. I don't think I'd go without them in future cars.

IMG_6534.jpg
_DSC4431.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom