Builds DRANGED's GX470 build/ownership thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick question, is the top sturdy enough to mount a vise?
depending on what you intend to do in and how big of a vise, yeah. Holding stuff, yeah, pounding on stuff, nope.

The wood is fixed to the cabinet via nutserts (accessed by removing top drawer and reaching up in

Last edited:
About 4 years ago, I put in an X2 31M battery from BatteryPlus, ran my ARB 24/7 and I never had a problem with it. If I knew it would sit for more than three days, I would hook up the battery tender to it.

depending on what you intend to do in and how big of a vise, yeah. Holding stuff, yeah, pounding on stuff, nope.

The wood is fixed to the cabinet via nutserts (accessed by removing top drawer and reaching up in
Nothing major, some gunsmithing and light projects. Had planned to get this inexpensive vice here below...

Amazon product ASIN B009ACC7GY

Contemplating industry, aka non "off-road niché" fuel can holder for 2 can, mount on roof ... Make spacer so one can fits securely as an option too.
(I normally carry 2-3 water jerries behind rear seats), so water in, fuel out.

It would appear my son has the gift (/curse) of ATD (Attention To Detail) 😊

1612547520707.png

1612547530592.png

Although, I wonder if he longs for the rallying days of the Subaru (note stars grill badge ;) )
1612547655587.png

I think I looked into replacing the canister a while ago... Sort of a job, but comparably relatively easy.

Thanks @Vlad , this is a perfect"order of events" checklist.

🤙
So ...
Nearly 2 years of clearing the CEL, a few months after a dealer confirmed, "yeah it's the charcoal canister" with a $1200 quote (@$800ish in parts), I purchased said canister from LexusPartsNow For around $620. Then this weekend I wrenched on it with a buddy.

Procedure: drop the spare to gain access (this pic is the new one... didn't snap a pic of the old one...)
1615949418666.png

3 bolts
1615949470320.png

2 [quite odd] hose clamps
1615949486223.png
1615949518932.png

a harness
1615949552505.png

a standard clamp.
1615949569286.png

Last edited:
FWIW, I've been able to find better prices than Lexus Parts now via parts.lexus.com.

You search for the part, then open up a dealer search around different parts of the country, then just go through them all that offer store pages (many are just phone numbers). You can find a much better price than MSRP, and they sometimes offer free shipping.

now to mod the mod and shore up this air dam. . . . 🤔

View attachment 2685897View attachment 2685898
Looks good. By the looks of that stock bumper, long overdue 🤣
BTW, cruised through your town 2 weeks ago moving family back down south. Was in the GX hauling a trailer, wish it was for a vacation there, be we drove straight through with no fun excursions....😔

now to mod the mod and shore up this air dam. . . . 🤔

View attachment 2685897View attachment 2685898
Definitely looks overdue!

It looks good though.

Ever think about using kydex?

It's a heat moldable plastic (not exactly plastic, but very similar). You could get a sheet of it and make a mold then make your bends with a heat gun.

Typically it's heated with an oven or hot plate when people make holsters or magazine pouches with it, but it can definitely be formed with a heat gun if your piece was too big to fit in an oven.

Definitely looks overdue!

It looks good though.

Ever think about using kydex?

It's a heat moldable plastic (not exactly plastic, but very similar). You could get a sheet of it and make a mold then make your bends with a heat gun.

Typically it's heated with an oven or hot plate when people make holsters or magazine pouches with it, but it can definitely be formed with a heat gun if your piece was too big to fit in an oven.
thx, yeah overdue LOL...

Kydex.. Might've heard of it... 🤔 Is that the stuff they use as skid plates for sxs and motocross bikes, etc? A wrench budy in town mentioned it years ago , but I've never followed up on it..> That kysex stuff sounds rad, and molds would be ideal for sure, but yeah heat gun-pliable is good for larger sheets and fewer, less complicated bends.... That could be a good solution to that air skid post bumper, pre radiator..

for that I'm thinking of cutting off the tabs, then rewelding them back on, as straight back vs this step-down configuration.. then your stuff molded would be a good fit!

Finally looked up the airbag washer trick. 🙄
proof of concept (to me), I used 1/8" bushings, sub $5 rear lift 😂
PXL_20210527_210057812.jpg
PXL_20210527_210121066.jpg
PXL_20210527_210819590.jpg
PXL_20210527_211851716.jpg

Proof of concept 👌
(ergo sample size of n=1)
I gained 1/4"-1/2" ..

per the one YT video I saw
1/4" lift per 1/16" washer. He did 6 washers with his Bilstein 5100 lift.

I've since swapped for 1/4" bushing to yield 1/2" lift.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've been able to find better prices than Lexus Parts now via parts.lexus.com.

You search for the part, then open up a dealer search around different parts of the country, then just go through them all that offer store pages (many are just phone numbers). You can find a much better price than MSRP, and they sometimes offer free shipping.
Funny, there are three dealers who end up always having the best deals. Though the Denso radiator I just ordered was from rockauto at $114 cheaper than anyone else.

https://parts.eskridgelexus.com
https://parts.lexusofwestkendall.com
https://parts.olathetoyota.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom