Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First steps! Congrats!

Hope your Sears battery continues to work well. Lots of chatter on the 100-series boards about them failing. I got a new Grp31 under warranty a few months back and can't tell if it is already dying on me or just not holding a charge since it's been so cold and the LC has been sitting so much this winter...

First steps! Congrats!

Hope your Sears battery continues to work well. Lots of chatter on the 100-series boards about them failing. I got a new Grp31 under warranty a few months back and can't tell if it is already dying on me or just not holding a charge since it's been so cold and the LC has been sitting so much this winter...
Ben - that grp31 DHP won't be going back in, it hasn't been holding a charge at all lately. I keep having to flip the switch to jump start my self. I read that they are being discontinued, not sure what I will replace it with yet.

The two DHPs I have in my F350 for about three years now have been great. Sometimes the truck doesn't get started for weeks at a time. Maybe I got them before they went to s***. I heard the same thing about them being discontinued.

Only had 30 mins tonight, but got the air filter canister, power steering paper clip and A/C compressor out. I also took the top plate off of the compressor, this is reused on the adapter plumbing so that OEM toyota A/C lines remain in the truck.
20160217_222620.jpg
20160217_222627.jpg
20160217_222709.jpg

Was my son's 1st bday party this weekend, so had limited shop time, but I did manage to get everything ready for the big pull.

It seems the fastest way to pull the motor is to disconnect the harness from the PCM and pull through the firewall...then take the engine harness off after the motor is out. That is the route I am going.

The 97 PCM has 4 plugs, 3 of which are part of the engine harness, and the other, I assume ties into the body harness. I assume the three grey connectors in the picture below are IH1, IH2 & IH3, but I can't identify which is which with the EWD I have...there must have been variations between 96 and 97. Can anyone confirm which plug is which? I am guessing the widest plug (26 pin) is the IH1.
20160221_183818.jpg
20160221_180810.jpg
20160221_183625.jpg

I also found this gem, a prior owner really hacked up the factory stereo wiring, I will tidy this all up before putting it back together.
20160221_183730.jpg

Mystery solved I think. IH1 and IH2 don't plug directly into the PCM, they are the other two white plugs on the engine harness that are closest to the firewall.
20160221_195318.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a 190 degree thermostat from Napa today, part #375-190. I also have a OEM cummins 180 degree thermostat coming, not sure which I will use just yet, there are mixed reviews on 180 vs 190.
20160224_210553.jpg

I also took out the center console and shifter and then removed the hood.
20160224_210223.jpg
20160224_210143.jpg

Only thing left to do before pulling the drivetrain out is drop the cross member and unbolt the engine mounts.

Major milestone accomplished tonight, the drivetrain is out!

I am certainly glad I picked up an OTC engine leveler, would have been much harder to yank everything out without it.
20160229_193534.jpg

Hooked up a winch from my mates truck and used the remote to pull the truck back as I manned the hoist.
20160229_193457.jpg

Now that's one long drivetrain.
20160229_195400.jpg

Done!
20160229_201216.jpg
20160229_201712.jpg

Wow the original drivetrain looks so little next to the Cummins.

Wow the original drivetrain looks so little next to the Cummins.
The toyota drivetrain is a couple feet forward of the cummins, so it's a bit of an optical illusion, there is really very little difference in the overall dimensions.

Aweseom to see this milestone! Congrats.

Can already smell the diesel! Looking good

Aweseom to see this milestone! Congrats.
Thanks, now the fun continues.

Can already smell the diesel! Looking good
I need to put a sticky on my windshield to remember to drain the fuel tank...don't want to do this swap and then start her up on gasoline.

Last night I took a look at how I could make a plate to bolt the xfer case shifter to. At first I was a little discouraged since to put the shifter back in the OEM position (in relation to the xfer case) I would be interfering with the trans shifter tower. (10.5" from front of xfer case to front mounting holes on trans)

I poached one of @thegogglesdonothing photos and realised that the OEM position of the xfer case shifter on a manual sit's about 6 inches further back than on an auto, this puts the mounting location in a good spot on top of the rear extension housing of the trans.

I need to call @beno and see if the OEM xfer case shift linkage for an HF2AV that came behind a manual trans is available.
IMG_8851.JPG

20160301_235258.jpg

20160301_224731.jpg

20160301_224633.jpg

Enough about the diesel conversion, what's the status on the wheels and tires? ;)

Did you need to press the 5th gear on your new main shaft when you assembled yours? Tried to test fit my new 5th gear onto my main shaft and would not go on.

How did you press the gear on if it is press fit?

Enough about the diesel conversion, what's the status on the wheels and tires? ;)
Wheels have been media blasted and are awaiting paint. Taking up way too much room in my garage right now. I am waiting to get them mounted until after I have swung the new drivetrain in. The added height of the tires will just make it more challenging to clear the front valance, as it is I had that drivetrain swinging up high.

Did you need to press the 5th gear on your new main shaft when you assembled yours? Tried to test fit my new 5th gear onto my main shaft and would not go on.

How did you press the gear on if it is press fit?
The oem mainshaft has an internally threaded output shaft, which this tool can be used to press 5th gear on with. I believe the quad 4x4 torque king shafts are also threaded.
20160303_232714.jpg

Dustin had difficulty adding an internal thread after re-splining the cut down shaft, so instead I used this and a 40oz dead blow hammer to press 5th gear on. (This is the old OEM mainshaft for display purposes)
20160303_232818.jpg

20160303_232838.jpg

The oem mainshaft has an internally threaded output shaft, which this tool can be used to press 5th gear on with. I believe the quad 4x4 torque king shafts are also threaded.
View attachment 1219171

Dustin had difficulty adding an internal thread after re-splining the cut down shaft, so instead I used this and a 40oz dead blow hammer to press 5th gear on. (This is the old OEM mainshaft for display purposes)
View attachment 1219172
View attachment 1219173
Thank you very much good sir!

My main shaft does not have the treaded end on it like the OEM so I was a bit lost lol.

This clears it up! Do you need to install 5th gear after the Main shaft is installed in the case or can it be done before?

Thank you very much good sir!

My main shaft does not have the treaded end on it like the OEM so I was a bit lost lol.

This clears it up! Do you need to install 5th gear after the Main shaft is installed in the case or can it be done before?
Since 5th gear is on the outside of the main case, 5th gear gets installed after the new mainshaft has been fully assembled and put back in the case, it's one of the last steps you do during the rebuild.

I am about 3/4 the way through a detailed writeup on how to rebuild an NV4500, I just need to dedicate another hour or so to wrap it up.

When you get to the point of bolting on the accessory bracket take some photos of the bolts and locations. I think I am using 4 holes and 4 different size bolts. The updated thermostat housing uses a shorter bolt than the old housing. I'm also thinking of getting stainless for them. The black uncoated bolts rust quick so I've been using anti seize on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom