Did 55’s ever come with front axles that didn’t have locking hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could it be that they spend more time in 4wd?
My thought is Toyota intended them to have drive flanges only (thus the configuration from the factory) but they also recognized the US market was used to free wheeling (locking) front hubs (Bronco, Scout, Jeep, etc.), thus the port installed hubs. Just a guess.

In other words, I'm thinking the US is the anomaly and not the other way around. Australia would be a good data point though. I wonder what the 40s and 55s came with downunder?

Although I never see locking hubs over here, the parts diagram does show them as an option for both my '83 Troopy and my '94 pickup. Looks like the Troopy optional hubs are still available. I assume they are Aisin? Looks like it covers 4X and 6X from 1980-1989 in all markets.

The '94 FZJ75 also shows optional locking hubs on the parts diagram but lists them as "not applicable".

Last edited:
Ha! All of this is a valid argument both ways…but non of which was my original thinking to swap for. My reason was simple. The truck had hubs caps that were new with holes for locking hubs. I could have either bought new caps and keep the the stock full time action or find a set of used lockers and keep the caps. My 40 in college had locking hubs and I didn’t mind getting out when I needed to use 4WD.
I don't think there is a wrong answer here. Those hub caps are cheap and still available and I'm sure you can find locking hubs that work.

Interesting though, when I look up your 55 (assuming I'm looking at the right diagram), it shows a free wheeling option but says "not applicable". Not saying you can't add one so just FYI.

43530HUB ASSY, FREE WHEEL
Not applicable

My thought is Toyota intended them to have drive flanges only (thus the configuration from the factory) but they also recognized the US market was used to free wheeling (locking) front hubs (Bronco, Scout, Jeep, etc.), thus the port installed hubs. Just a guess.

In other words, I'm thinking the US is the anomaly and not the other way around. Australia would be a good data point though. I wonder what the 40s and 55s came with downunder?

Although I never see locking hubs over here, the parts diagram does show them as an option for both my '83 Troopy and my '94 pickup. Looks like the Troopy optional hubs are still available. I assume they are Aisin? Looks like it covers 4X and 6X from 1980-1989 in all markets.
That’s kinda where I’m going with the previous reply, America being the more modernized country during that time period, and many other countries that Toyota was exporting to were 100 years behind in their road development. If 2wd is seldom used during the everyday venturing of the average customer, then having 4wd as the main drive mode makes more sense, and locking hubs become irrelevant.

Maybe/maybe not - just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
That’s kinda where I’m going with the previous reply, America being the more modernized country during that time period, and many other countries that Toyota was exporting to were 100 years behind in their road development. If 2wd is seldom used during the everyday venturing of the average customer, then having 4wd as the main drive mode makes more sense, and locking hubs become are irrelevant.

Maybe/maybe not - just thinking out loud.
I think you are right on.

In my experience in Third World driving, you really, REALLY want that 4wd on demand. Getting out to lock the front hubs could have terminal consequences.

Plus, most of the roads are a soft sand or clay, so you drive enough in 4wd conditions, that locking hubs would just be superfluous.

Note the utter lack of locking hubs on this 76 series.

1643257445521.png

Just looked up a 1973 Australian spec FJ55 and it also shows the locking hubs as "Not applicable". 1978 Aussie on the other hand gives an optional part number: 43530-60012

1973 and 1978 Japan spec FJ55 (FJ56 for the 78) doesn't even show an option for locking hubs. Nothing but drive flanges - so much for the bad roads argument.

Europe and the Middle East (and all other General Countries) shows the same as Australia; NA for 1973 and same optional part number: 43530-60012 for 1978.

So the US seems to be the only market that offered the option in 1973 with the rest of the world except Japan offering the same sometime between there and 1978. Fascinating that the option was never offered in Japan. I guess they considered drive flanges the bees knees and that was that in the motherland.

In the event of a broken birf, it would be about 5 minutes quicker to pull a drive flange than it would be to remove a lockout hub. Six less bolts. So there's that. However, worn and broken birfs may be more of an issue if they are always in action as opposed to mostly sitting still in a lockout hub environment. I'd say it boils down to a matter of preference. Lockouts look better to me. It's what we in the states are used to seeing on trucks. When they are all cleaned and freshened up, they sure look sexy.
Aisin's look even sexier than Warns IMO.
IMG_E4431[1].JPG

Ha! All of this is a valid argument both ways…but non of which was my original thinking to swap for. My reason was simple. The truck had hubs caps that were new with holes for locking hubs. I could have either bought new caps and keep the the stock full time action or find a set of used lockers and keep the caps. My 40 in college had locking hubs and I didn’t mind getting out when I needed to use 4WD.
Locking hubs....it is the USA.. choices.. :)

Lockouts look better to me. It's what we in the states are used to seeing on trucks. When they are all cleaned and freshened up, they sure look sexy.
Aisin's look even sexier than Warns IMO.
View attachment 2906711
Warn’s look great on vintage domestic tin. They are the classic American lock-out.
Prefer the look of the ASCO/AISIN’s on Toyota/LC’s.

Holy flying locking hubs Batman, my 2006 Tundra has no locking hubs and a part time transfer case.

I don't think there any reason or rhyme to it 🤷‍♂️

The brifs on my 94 FZJ80 had 280k on them and were still going strong when replaced them with RCV to run 37" tires. It's still full time & with drive flange ;)

I think if you are a stock piggy you are probably fine with drive flanges. I have a big lift and big HP and had to make a few sacrifices on my front drive shaft due to room. It is still very well built, but I drive faster than most stock pigs so the idea of the front bits doing 80 mph scares me. Also, I accidently didn't unlock my hubs once and got on the road and I could hear and feel the difference. I have rebuilt the front end since so I don't know if it was noisy because it was tired or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom