Did 55’s ever come with front axles that didn’t have locking hubs?

New owner to a 73’ 55 and my old 40 had them and every one I see on here has locking front hubs... I didn’t see anything about them in the manual either. It’s in Portuguese maybe.
I understand it just means the axles are turning full time just not sure why mine would not have them.
Truck came from Venezuela.

8A74B959-F628-4E93-9FC5-D49BF6B6F098.jpeg

ACE3053D-D65B-4DAA-9C54-5050F34D900E.jpeg

5BCE91FE-CEE6-4BBF-BC8F-94AFC6961726.jpeg

I’ve read that in here, people say they came with drive plates. So does that mean I can remove the grease cap and end plate next install a locking hub?

My 73 (Coyote) came without locking hubs. I did a disc brake upgrade with 60 hubs and installed locking hubs at that time. Once the flange was removed on the original hubs, it looked like you could just install locking hubs without problems. I have a couple sets of the course splined hubs if you decide you need them.

Not sure on the dealer installed thing or not, but drive flanges were, and are common depending on market, spec ect.

If you want locking hubs you will not only need complete hubs, but they will need to be for that axle (10 different applications of hubs I think) and there are 4 thicknesses of snap rings black, red, blue, green that you may have to use

Last edited:
Not sure on the dealer installed thing or not, but drive flanges were, and are common depending on market, spec ect.

If you want locking hubs you will not only need complete hubs, but they will need to be for that axle (10 different applications of hubs I think) and there are 4 thicknesses of snap rings black, red, blue, green that you may have to use
Great info!

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Pretty sure the 55s in Saudi that I have seen photos of don't have locking hubs. Neither my '83 FJ45 nor my '94 FZJ75 have locking hubs. I don't see any advantage to putting them on so my plan is to leave them as is. Yes I have heard the wear and tear argument and the gas mileage argument but both seem nebulous arguments and little more than small beer at best.

Last edited:
Looks like my 73 did. Pretty easy to change out, especially with support on here. I have a set of course spline hubs if interested. PM me.

There were those weird locking hubs that, as far as I know, only came on Pigs in certain years. My 12/74 came with them. Pretty sure they were factory. I took them off for Warns cuz that's what we did in 1987.
the ones with the flip out levers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom