Delta VS Radius Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Delta VS

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
deltavs.com
Moving forward this first post will be updated with any significant updates/info added to the end of the thread so anybody stumbling onto the thread can see current info in first post. Updates will be newest at the top.

UPDATE 2024-02-16: adding document that details how much caster each DeltaVS arm adds compared to an OEM arm with OEM bushings to this post: Delta VS Radius Arms - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/delta-vs-radius-arms.1058871/post-15363932 This is current data

UPDATE 2021-07-07: this post Delta VS Radius Arms - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/delta-vs-radius-arms.1058871/post-13938144 discusses switch to 3" and 5" reg/long arms

Howdy all. We are slamming away on the Overland Expo build (yes, the one that starts in a few days). Thought some folks here might appreciate one of the products we are prototyping on this rig. Just installed and cycled, everything fits quite nice.

IMG_0581.jpg

The idea behind these arms is that they can be offered in 1" lift increments, ALL using the stock Toyota radius arm bushings (you can either reuse your originals or put new ones in). Your wheelbase will remain the same as well (at ride height) with these arms.

IMG_3405.jpg

These arms are welded inside and out, about 85% TIG.

IMG_3406.jpg

They have a very stout spine down the middle with stout sheetmetal caps that sandwich on both sides.

IMG_0548.jpg

We might be looking for a beta tester at some point in the near future who can really abuse the things. A "TRY to make them fail, please" situation.

The overall design is very similar to the trophy truck trailing arms and lower front A-arms we built a little while ago.

If anybody is at Overland Expo this weekend, PLEASE stop by and say hi! We are hoping to talk with as many FJ people as possible. We will have the Cummins 2.8L FJ80 swap in our booth (#41). Look for the Adventure Wagon booth as we are guests of theirs.

Last edited:
Howdy all. We are slamming away on the Overland Expo build (yes, the one that starts in a few days). Thought some folks here might appreciate one of the products we are prototyping on this rig. Just installed and cycled, everything fits quite nice.

View attachment 1700668

The idea behind these arms is that they can be offered in 1" lift increments, ALL using the stock Toyota radius arm bushings (you can either reuse your originals or put new ones in). Your wheelbase will remain the same as well (at ride height) with these arms.

View attachment 1700679

View attachment 1700680

They have a very stout spine down the middle with stout sheetmetal caps that sandwich on both sides.

View attachment 1700686

We might be looking for a beta tester at some point in the near future who can really abuse the things. A "TRY to make them fail, please" situation.

The overall design is very similar to the trophy truck trailing arms and lower front A-arms we built a little while ago.

If anybody is at Overland Expo this weekend, PLEASE stop by and say hi! We are hoping to talk with as many FJ people as possible. We will have the Cummins 2.8L FJ80 swap in our booth (#41). Look for the Adventure Wagon booth as we are guests of theirs.

New arms are pretty but you are going to have issues with tie rod to arm clearance based on the picture. When you flex an 80 turned you are going to run the risk of tearing off the tie rod from contact.
Are the new arms narrower than the factory?

Yup I agree with Phil from the looks of your pics you will not have enough clearance once you get into bigger lift heights at 4 inches you are prob gonna rub the arms on the tie rod bar. I run the Slee arms on j springs and now have massive clearance between the arms and tie rod where when I ran caster plates the arms were like your pics, for driving on the street no prob but any big flex and the bar is gonna rub pretty good. Little redesign and you prob have a winner

Yup I agree with Phil from the looks of your pics you will not have enough clearance once you get into bigger lift heights at 4 inches you are prob gonna rub the arms on the tie rod bar. I run the Slee arms on j springs and now have massive clearance between the arms and tie rod where when I ran caster plates the arms were like your pics, for driving on the street no prob but any big flex and the bar is gonna rub pretty good. Little redesign and you prob have a winner

FWIW Im on OME J's with caster plates and cut almost 1/2" out of my factory arms and they still have contact.

I will stop by your booth at EXPO and chat about needed clearance when flexing for an opportunity to beta test a possibly excellent new product.;)

asset.jpg

I could run em. I may(read:trying) go to the expo, i really need to.

My steering has moved to the front, with slee high steers and all that jazz. Only thing around there now is my sway bar.

New arms are pretty but you are going to have issues with tie rod to arm clearance based on the picture. When you flex an 80 turned you are going to run the risk of tearing off the tie rod from contact.
Are the new arms narrower than the factory?

It's definitely snug, but should work for testing (have to turn clamps, etc). The beauty of this design is we can easily adjust as/if needed. Looking forward to meeting up!

Say........are those the slee 2.5s???

It's definitely snug, but should work for testing (have to turn clamps, etc). The beauty of this design is we can easily adjust as/if needed. Looking forward to meeting up!

My guess you will make contact just turn the tires to lock. Be careful if you plan to drive it to Expo I do want to meet you.
;)

View attachment 1700668

View attachment 1700679

View attachment 1700680

View attachment 1700686

are these solid or box welded?

I’m in the market right now to address my caster. Currently on worn out rubber caster bushings so some new radius arms with caster built in would be rad! Man, if you could make beefy, slightly narrower radius arms with corrected caster of 4* at 2.5-3” lift that clears the steering arm, using OEM bushings, you’d be golden. I’ll be at Expo, I’ll look for you guys. You’re welcome to test a set out on my rig ;)

I can see the quality in the build on these... beautiful work. Can/will these arms be made slightly narrower than stock, to allow for more displacement where the arm meets the axle? Can they be designed such that, on one side, they only need a single attach point to the axle, for more flex? (combine with a bracket that sandwich reinforces the bracket on the axle).

Lots of questions, but I excited to see the final product.

Cool design. Subscribed. I'd like to see these get beat up too!

When my buddy and I built radius arms, we laser cut them out of some 3/4” plate, then welded bushing cups to them which we turned on a lathe. Seemed easier than this and it was very easy to make room for tie rod clearance.

Not as flashy as these, but it continues to do its job on the truck we put it on.

04150092-E508-4F40-83D4-FD24D76F569E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom