Builds My 94 80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little background....

I was looking for an 80 to replace my 03 Tundra as I now have 3 kids and the wife to tote around.
I have had lots of Toyota's, my last being a 94 4Runner that I went crazy on and it became a trailer queen so this time I just wanted a mildly built DD and always loved the 80's so I started my hunt.
I don't drive my truck very much since I work out of my house in NC and travel to Dallas, TX every other week... my wife works weekends at the Hospital and we drive her Sequoia during the week, so I basically only drive on the weekends.

During my hunt for an 80 I looked at lots of overpriced stock rigs and most had mechanical issues as well as trashed leather interior.
I did find a clean, almost rust free 94 with excellent cloth interior (I usually only go with leather but seeing the condition of all the other rigs, the cloth holds up 1,000X better) 230K on the ticker...
Only issues were, no lockers and blown head gasket.
The guy replaced this 80 with another after he blew the head gasket (leaking rear heater lines were the culprit) and he knew a fair bit about them and was asking $2,500
I offered him $2K and left with my new LC...

finally at it's new home

Next up I found a motor here on Mud for $1,500 but when I looked into who had the motor it was an old buddy of mine and I pick it up the next day after getting my 80 and paid $900 for it.
Now my truck is a 94 and the engine is a 97.
After lots of research, I swapped just the motor and kept the original wiring harness.
I deleted the EGR and some other stuff to clean up the engine compartment.

Next on my list were the Stereo and the crappy speakers
I chose a Pioneer DEH-6600BS… http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X6600BS due to the Bluetooth and 3 RCA outputs
I also chose Polk Audio db651… http://www.polkaudio.com/products/db651 due to others here and they Marine rating (will paint grills to match interior)
All purchased from Amazon for just over $200
I have also wired for 2 amps (going in the space where the factory sub was) and a JL 12” sub that I had sitting around for years but have not installed any of it yet.
I had a Cobra 18 WX ST II from an old rig and this has been wired up to a 2’ Firestik 2 and placed below the stereo
My install I did use the spacers in between the door frame and panel
For the front doors, I notched where the “wings” of the spacers were so they would fit more flush.
In the rear doors, I used the tin snip method to widen the openings.

Last edited:
Now to the fun part… suspension
I chose OME J coils, 2” front spacers and caster plates from MetalTech (great customer service and I highly recommend this vendor)
I ordered rubber extended break lines form O’Reilly’s (BH621096, BH380233 & BH380535) but these have yet to be installed
Now for measurements center of hub to fender:
Front Drivers Side 20” to 25 1/2”
Front Passenger Side 20” to 25 1/2”
Rear Drivers Side 20 3/4” to 25 1/2”
Rear Passenger Side 21” to 25 1/2”

Wheels and tires were next…
After looking at lots of pics here and getting approval from the wife, I ordered some Level 8 Strike Wheels in 17x9… thanks jcardona1 for the wheel specs because according to Discount Tire these will not fit the 80. Found them on ebay for $452 shipped from Discount Tire and the local store matched the price.
For tires I decided on Nitto Trail Grappler MT in 37x12.50
Discount Tire also matched a local Craigslist add for $1,440
After mount and balance, tax and new locking lug nuts, I am in these for just over $2,100

I went to get an alignment directly after getting the tires installed and they royally f’d it up at Tire Kingdom… I spent 3 hours there and they couldn’t get my steering wheel straight.
Told me it was due to a faulty return to center switch and I had to get that fixed before they could fix it…. What a load of crap…. They did refund my money though so I’m happy to fix my wheel myself.
Probably with whole new draglink setup.
They did fix my toe and gave me a spec on my Caster -3.9 & -4.3 as I have not installed my MetalTech plates yet… if the rain stops I will have those in today… just hope it is enough without extra weight of bumper and winch.

Future Mods include: front winch bumper, rear tire carrier, sliders and lockers
I would like to retrofit stock lockers but will probably go with Spartan Lockers.

Also have Husky Liners for the front and rear seats for Xmas

Best year, color, and interior combo. Ask me how I know. Mine wasn't locked, but got e-locked axles from a 96 LX swapped in. Nice job on saving what looks to be a great cruiser!

has it been wrecked? I ask because the grille is the wrong type, hats are 95-97. or maybe the PO swapped out the front end parts. Either way, congrats, you're doing a great job so far.

What back spacing on the wheels and what bump stops? Or when you get to that point

I do have the stock "Toyota" grill and a LX grill... hasn't been wrecked PO just swapped.

I think the BS on the wheels is 4.5".... bump stops are on the list.. so is rear sway bar spacers that I will make out of 2x2 stock.... front swaybar has been removed

80 looks great. I am jealous of the wheel/tire combo.
I see sliders and bumpers in your near future by the way you are going..hahaha

Nice looking rig

Great job, can't wait to see what's next!!

I have always built tube bumpers but I am gonna give a go at plate bumpers on the 80.

I do some light towing... jetski or my KTM so I plan tobreuse the factory hitch in my bumper build

Sliders will probably be 2x4 with 1 3/4 DOM outer rail

MetalTech caster plates were installed today...

I read the Slee instructions and basically followed them but I removed the arms completely and installed the axle side first.
I left all bolts loose and used the floorjack under the panhard bracket to rotate the axle.
Drivers side went on first and was easy.. passenger side required me to use a ratchet strap to pull the axle back slightly and had my wife lower the floorjack, again under the panhard bracket and the frame bolt slid into place.

Only thing I couldn't use was the lock washer on the passenger outer hole... not sure if later models have more room in between the panhard bar bracket and control arm bracket but there was no way I could put the bolt in like Slee's instructions or even fit the lock washer in there.

Took about 2 hours by myself to install.

Test drive tomorrow and then an alignment check

Is it just me or has new toyota styling gone to ****?

That 4runner front end looks ridiculous.

Love the 80 I bought more everyday.

And your build really inspires me!!!

It's been a while since I have posted...

I haven't been slacking though.

I fixed my shaky mirror by bending a coat hanger to make new tabs... also used the zip tie method as a backup.

My side mirror also didn't operate correctly, when I pushed up it went right, right it went down and so on, but when I had the mirror off I saw how the 3 wire connection and switched them around and now mirror adjusts properly.

I ordered a Trail Gear HD steering setup and installed the drag link and straightened out my steering wheel.

I also couldn't resist the $110 shipped snorkel on Amazon, ordered it up and installed yesterday.

Truck looks great man and nice work so far. I saw youre ride when i was coming home from Charlotte a few weeks back but I was in the 45.

Pop over to the old north state cruisers and say hello and come out to one of the charlotte meetings/dinners or our meet and greet in march up near uwharrie. Hope to see you around and looking forward to what you come up with for armor.

Truck looks great man and nice work so far. I saw youre ride when i was coming home from Charlotte a few weeks back but I was in the 45.

Pop over to the old north state cruisers and say hello and come out to one of the charlotte meetings/dinners or our meet and greet in march up near uwharrie. Hope to see you around and looking forward to what you come up with for armor.

I have seen a couple lifted 60/62's but not a 40 or 45 since I have had my truck...

I will checkout old north state cruisers and uwharrie in March sounds awesome!!

We got about 7-8" of snow outside of Charlotte the past couple days...

I took my truck out and it did amazingly well!!

Here she is with my wife's Sequoia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom