Builds Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice specs on the 2.8. Is there anyway to squeeze out some more juice?

I've heard from diesel tuners that this could be a 400 horse power engine, but who knows. I wouldn't bet on it, as my friend Sheldon says an engine has a certain amount of horsepower hours. You can either have them all now or spread them out over time.

Following.

I've been looking for a good diesel option for about a year. Excited about this build.

be interesting to see how it plays out. Will the setup have A/C and P/S too?

I've heard from diesel tuners that this could be a 400 horse power engine, but who knows. I wouldn't bet on it, as my friend Sheldon says an engine has a certain amount of horsepower hours. You can either have them all now or spread them out over time.
So THATS why my 3FE is still alive! :rofl:.

Intercooler is going in, hoping to have this bracket templated so we can offer it as a kit

20170710_232140846_iOS.jpg

20170710_232042756_iOS.jpg

Probably too early to ask this question but are you thinking down the road of other transmission options for this engine?
Excited to watch this one come together.

We can use a 4L60e or a 6L80e transmission behind this engine. There is also talk about being able to add a Toyota a340 with a Jeep bellhousing behind it.

Subscribed.

Custom flywheel housing by TorFab I assume? Which bellhousing/flywheel/clutch are you using? Looks like an AA SBC to H42/H55 bellhousing.

How much did the Cummins 2.8 kit cost? I didn't think they went on sale yet.

We are using an adapter from the Cummins to a 4L60e, then an AA bellhousing from that to an H55f. The Cummins flywheel got machined down to reduce rotational mass, and the AA flywheel also got machined down for the same reason.

Cost is unknown, it seems to be at the same price point as a new EROD kit from GM. They will go on sale in the fall, but we don't know for sure yet. We are a part of the Cummins test group for this engine, they released 25 engines to the aftermarket to get some documented installs.

We are using an adapter from the Cummins to a 4L60e, then an AA bellhousing from that to an H55f. The Cummins flywheel got machined down to reduce rotational mass, and the AA flywheel also got machined down for the same reason.

Cost is unknown, it seems to be at the same price point as a new EROD kit from GM. They will go on sale in the fall, but we don't know for sure yet. We are a part of the Cummins test group for this engine, they released 25 engines to the aftermarket to get some documented installs.

That is just awesome :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wow, and it's 200+ lbs lighter than a 2F !

I have a Calif '87 FJ60 sitting in the driveway with a bad 2F - I didn't have the heart to part it out, even though she's kinda rough.

Man, a 'kit' like this with all brackets would be the way to go. Hell, I'd even tow the rig up to Washington State for the install (are they still letting Kalifornians in ?) :eek: :D

Looking forward to thread.

Dunno.

But as far as emission legal, it looks like for C.A.R.B States it will be '94 and older legal. EPA States 1999 and older ?

Dunno.

But as far as emission legal, it looks like for C.A.R.B States it will be '94 and older legal. EPA States 1999 and older ?

This engine isn't OBD2 compliant according to Kalifornia, but I'm assuming they will release a new computer if the program is successful.

Yeah, I see where they are working with CARB to make it obdII compliant. FJ60/40s are obviously pre-OBD, so I'm guessing it won't matter for those.

Anyway, very exciting build and thanks for documenting it!

The real beauty for a crate engine would be to make it 50 state emissions/OBD compliant to swap in for late model vehicles. FZJ80 diesel conversions will have a lot of demand moving forward and the only way to make that work will be to make it OBD compliant.

I've got my fingers crossed :bounce:

I'd easily believe it, I imagine this engine will be able to throw down just as much as the 2.8 Duramax does and that engine has been tuned to some impressive numbers already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom