Builds Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread

torfab

Supporting Vendor

We got our hands on a couple of these engines last month, and are knee deep in the first one right now. So far we have dropped an engine into the bay with an H55f behind it. We're working on making brackets for everything (engine, ECM, fan, intercooler, fuel filter, radiator, etc). I'm hoping to fire this up next week some time, and maybe give some driving impressions.

I've never done a cummins conversion, mainly because the current options are not a good fit for a Land Cruiser. Yes you can stuff a 6BT into a cruiser, but why? It's not like the wheelbase of an FJ60 can handle towing 10,000 pounds safely on the highway.

I like this engine because it's appropriate for the build. It has a redline of 4200 RPM, creates the same HP and TQ as a 1HD-T in stock form, and comes brand new from the factory. Torfab's diesel conversion options will consist of the Cummins R2.8 and the 1HD/Z variety only from now on. We have done other engines, but it's not worth it, because the money you spend on installing a new engine in your cruiser would be better spent on an engine that will bring you the best experience long term.

I'll keep adding some photos of the build as we progress, but I'm really pumped about this build and can't wait to drive this cruiser around and get real world experience behind the conversion.

20170705_231718890_iOS.jpg

20170705_231712357_iOS.jpg

20170705_153910423_iOS.jpg

20170705_153851948_iOS.jpg

20170704_171339832_iOS.jpg

erse

SILVER Star
Probably too early to ask this question but are you thinking down the road of other transmission options for this engine?
Excited to watch this one come together.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

Subscribed.

Custom flywheel housing by TorFab I assume? Which bellhousing/flywheel/clutch are you using? Looks like an AA SBC to H42/H55 bellhousing.

How much did the Cummins 2.8 kit cost? I didn't think they went on sale yet.

lt1fire

Dang Tor already ripping in to it, was excited about this build since we talked about it last month. I need to get up to Everett to check it out when I drop my front diff off with you.

Are you already doing the other engine in the 40 as well or waiting to finish up this one?

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
SILVER Star

Subscribed.

Custom flywheel housing by TorFab I assume? Which bellhousing/flywheel/clutch are you using? Looks like an AA SBC to H42/H55 bellhousing.

How much did the Cummins 2.8 kit cost? I didn't think they went on sale yet.
All the questions I have in my mind to ask ..

Also following... very interested in this engine and how she does in a "60/62. How much does one of these engines cost?

I'm also curious to the performance over my 3.3T. I thought that was a good fit for the cruiser, similar size and all mechanical, pretty simple setup. BUT, if the 2.8 is better performance and mileage and has a spot for an A/C compressor that will be a nice upgrade

Also sub'd!

Think this would be a perfect drivetrain in my 40 also.

I wonder about the challenges of getting this power plant emissions legal in certain states...

-Ed

bhk

SILVER Star

I think making it 100% compliant in all states was one of the main goals of this motor. At least I think I heard that in one of its promo videos.
I heard that too. Be interesting to see if they actually pull it off.

wow, seeing the spec sheet the engine definitely is a lot more automotive friendly then my 3.3, having a vacuum pump and a/c compressor are big advantages. Guess I know what to replace with if mine ever goes out!

Top Bottom