The "Radiator Leak" Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The "Radiator Leak" Build/Rebuild

Just as the title says, this thing started with a radiator leak. A minor leak at that. Went down to performance radiator and bought a new one. Went to put it on and by the end of the day my cruiser looked like this:
IMG_0177.jpg

I decided I didnt like not knowing what was going on under the hood, Power steering fluid was everywhere and im obsessive compulsive/anal retentive. This led to a desmog, 5 bottles of simple green, the last 6 months of my disposable income, and a lot of beer (IPA:beer:). I got inspiration from JDhall3's build.

I had never done anything like this before. But everything looked simple enough to figure out, especially when i got all the smog crap removed. I had my FSMs and Mud so i went to town.
So this is what ive done:

-New OEM: vcv, any and every gasket, power steering pump, heater valve and every single heater hose, Fan Clutch.

-Ceramic coated (Jet Hot) Valve Cover, firewall heat shield, intake manifold, all coolant hard lines, and the thermostat cover.
IMG_0213-1.jpg

P6210187.jpg

-Powder Coated every damn little bracket/pulley in the engine bay.
P6210177.jpg

-Brand new bolts anywhere i could get to them (All OEM on the block)

-Degreased the whole damn engine and painted it. Low gloss up top, High Gloss on oil pan.

-Desmog with a weber 38 (w/ MAF one piece manifold adapter), fluid heat riser, JimC Dizzy Recurve, and some downey ceramic coated headers. (on the way)

-All wire split loom was replaced with high heat split loom

-New Steering Shaft U Joints (both)

-Zero Rust w/ crystal coat the whole front frame.
P5070125.jpg

-Stainless Fuel lines, New Fuel Filter (OEM)
P6210178.jpg

-Thermotec heat shield on powersteering hoses- they are close to the headers.
P6210176.jpg

-Rear Heater Delete
P6210184.jpg

P6210185.jpg

- Thermotec adhesive backed heat shield on ALL exhaust shields
IMG_0229.jpg

This has taken me close to 4 months to do. Between balancing work (im a navy pilot so its decently hectic), the wife (who cant wait for this to be over), and this rebuild Ive been busy. I just cant wait to stop driving the damn honda and get this baby back on the road. I will keep the pics coming, and I will have plenty of questions for you guys as well:cheers:

Last edited:
Wow Awesome Work.

Its all worth it. Once you crank it and hear that 2F run for the first time you'll get some jollies. I did.

I wish I could have gone anal with painting everything cause it looks awesome. I can't wait to see it finished.

But seriously though. 5 bottles of Simple Green? haha

yeah, very nice work...looks great!

yep, didn't you know that drinking Simple Green will make the job go faster???:cheers:

Nice! That looks really nice, if I weren't under the gun to get my junk soon I would take that much time and do it right. Out of curiosity, is getting things ceramic coated expensive? I might look at doing that to my components while they're out of the vehicle.

Damn! Lemme get out my sunglasses for the motor! :cool:

Sweeeeet! Very nice work.

:beer::beer:

Drool

Just to document this whole build Heres some interior pics of the color match linex i had done last year.

P9250002.jpg

Do you intend to put any soundproofing in addition to the liner, or is the liner thick enough to cut road noise? I've always liked the idea of a lined interior, but my 84 is loud enough with the padding and carpet, I'd hate to think of all the road noise and body squeeks with just bare coated metal.

Otherwise, I bow to your superior fabbing and cleaning skills. Wish my 84 looked that good!

Glenn in Tucson

Nice work,makes me want to finish my 87 fj-60.Think Ill get started,let me know how those headers work out. Mike

You sir need a job at an auto plant! Nice work. Do those rims fit without spacers, where'd you get them?

Do you intend to put any soundproofing in addition to the liner, or is the liner thick enough to cut road noise? I've always liked the idea of a lined interior, but my 84 is loud enough with the padding and carpet, I'd hate to think of all the road noise and body squeeks with just bare coated metal.

Otherwise, I bow to your superior fabbing and cleaning skills. Wish my 84 looked that good!

Glenn in Tucson

No sound proofing. Just lots of road noise! Im going to linex the wheel wells as well (on the outside of the truck) just to try and cut down on some more road noise and seal out any weather. I will thoroughly inspect them though as i did on the inside to make sure there is absolutely no rust first. Im sure that would be awesome to seal any rust in with linex :eek:

eventually when i go over the interior i will rip out the dash and soundproof the firewall.

I love the sound of the road!
(It does suck on long trips though)

You sir need a job at an auto plant! Nice work. Do those rims fit without spacers, where'd you get them?

They are 3.75" backspacing so they fit but are literally 1/8" from the TRE boots. Im deciding right now between the slide on 1/4" spacers and the bolt on 1" ones.
Im guessing the latter is the safer choice.

Removed the pesky heater hose and pipe because it looked like it would be like a huge pain in the ass to change out if it ever had a problem. So i replaced it with a toyota oem hose thats made for just that (replacing the pipe and hose). Fit was perfect, so i wrapped it in thermotec to shield it and installed it up.
IMG_0248.jpg

I also got the timing cover gasket replaced and cover installed. This thread:

Timing Cover Gasket

was a huge help. To make it easier though i installed the pulley to center the cover, tightened the bolts a little, pulled the pulley back off and tightened to spec, then reinstalled the pulley. A lot of work but wanted to get it right the first time, definitely dont want to do this again. Threw a brand new crank nut on and that was the day! just waiting on some belts from cruiser dan to get the pulleys all good to go!

Got a little more done today:

-Got the cabin air filter for the dizzy out. As i suspected, it was beyond clogged and disgusting. Placed an order for another one. So my dizzy venting can finally work as advertised.

-Got the front wheel wells stripped and linexed, rears will be done when this beast can drive again.
IMG_0249.jpg

-Got the hubs done- they were powder coated and got some new oem bolts.
IMG_0250.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom