Complete Transmission Flush DIY - VIDEO (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally pulled together the video I took while completing a complete transmission fluid flush. Most of you know the dealer's service typically consists of draining and refilling the pan only. This only introduces 3-4 clean quarts of fluid in the system. I went through 14 quarts of fluid.

BONUS: In this video I drop the pan and replace the inner filter-screen as well - so you get a glimpse as to what awaits you in the bottom of the pan. The dropping of the pan was not originally part of the plan - I screwed up and stripped the drain plug! (rookie maneuver I know....and I'm still kicking myself in the arse for that one!) The story there is that I mistakenly used the trans pan plug torque spec for the manual transmission model rigs - not offered for sale in the U.S....idiot, I know - but now we got a more interesting video! :)

Anyway - please enjoy and be kind as this was my very first video! (All the part numbers used are listed at the end of the video as well)

This is absolutly phenomenonal! I've done this a few times, but your ability to make such a good video is just awesome.

I don't know anything about making videos, I'm trying to learn, so this is very inspiring to me.

Thanks again.

This is absolutly phenomenonal! I've done this a few times, but your ability to make such a good video is just awesome.

I don't know anything about making videos, I'm trying to learn, so this is very inspiring to me.

Thanks again.
Thanks Rob! "Phenomenal" is a strong word - but I like it so let's keep using that! ;)
This was my first real attempt at putting one together - shot it with my iPhone over the course of a few days (had to wait for parts) and then spent more time than I thought using iMovie (big learning curve).... I certainly know where to improve!

It is a bit odd. It goes into the aux cooler, and then from there into the standard cooler that is part of the radiator..... Intuitively I would have thought going through the radiator cooler first and then the aux would make more sense, but I'm not an engineer! :hmm:

@NLScooby, question for you regarding the return line. I followed your video exactly, and I disconnected the transmission fluid return line from the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. However, in my situation, the fluid did not come out of the clear tubing like in your video, but from the other end of the disconnected hose. What concerned me was after only flushing 2 quarts, the fluid that came out was red. Because I changed over to the PML deep pan, I believe that 15 quarts would be necessary to refill and flush the system. I filled the drain pan with 8 quarts of clean fluid, and after flushing 2 quarts the fluid that came out looked like it was the clean fluid. In your video, it appeared that the only fluid that drained out was from the end connected to the clear tubing, did you plug off the other end? I noticed that your LC is a 2008 model, and mine is a 2013, but I would think that there would be no change in the transmission lines between the two model years. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

@NLScooby, question for you regarding the return line. I followed your video exactly, and I disconnected the transmission fluid return line from the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. However, in my situation, the fluid did not come out of the clear tubing like in your video, but from the other end of the disconnected hose. What concerned me was after only flushing 2 quarts, the fluid that came out was red. Because I changed over to the PML deep pan, I believe that 15 quarts would be necessary to refill and flush the system. I filled the drain pan with 8 quarts of clean fluid, and after flushing 2 quarts the fluid that came out looked like it was the clean fluid. In your video, it appeared that the only fluid that drained out was from the end connected to the clear tubing, did you plug off the other end? I noticed that your LC is a 2008 model, and mine is a 2013, but I would think that there would be no change in the transmission lines between the two model years. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

I actually did not plug the other end. You did engage the thermostat on the pump with the paper clip, correct? The pump should be pushing the fluid from the transmission to the aux cooler first. If you follow the top line coming off the aux cooler (another place you could tap into it)...it should lead to the input on the bottom of the radiator (on the drivers side). The output would then be on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. Unless they reversed the direction going into and out of the radiator cooler between years, I'm not certain why you are experiencing what you are! If I were you, I would try pulling the line off the output from the aux cooler (shown in @allan man's post above).

I'm happy to speak on the phone if you like. If I knew of a newer one here where I could take a look - I'd be happy to!

I actually did not plug the other end. You did engage the thermostat on the pump with the paper clip, correct? The pump should be pushing the fluid from the transmission to the aux cooler first. If you follow the top line coming off the aux cooler (another place you could tap into it)...it should lead to the input on the bottom of the radiator (on the drivers side). The output would then be on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. Unless they reversed the direction going into and out of the radiator cooler between years, I'm not certain why you are experiencing what you are! If I were you, I would try pulling the line off the output from the aux cooler (shown in @allan man's post above).

I'm happy to speak on the phone if you like. If I knew of a newer one here where I could take a look - I'd be happy to!

Thanks @NLScooby, I reinstalled the paper clip to make sure that the thermostat was depressed, and as you suggested, pulled the line from output from the aux cooler as shown in @allan man's picture. That seemed to do the trick, and the fluid discharging from that line was not as bright red as the fluid poured from the bottles, but was red in color and clear. After reinstalling everything, I allowed the transmission fluid to come up to temperature (around 110 F), and was able to get a nice steady trickle from the overflow plug. Using the orange Toyota RTV that @bjowett suggested, it looks like my first attempt at making the gasket was successful as I did not see any leaks (knock on wood). The only item that I could not reinstall on the vehicle is the transmission pan guard, as the new PML pan is much taller than the OEM pan. I will be monitoring the fluid temperature to see if the added capacity will help lower the operating temperature. Again, thank you for a great video that helped my confidence in that this could be done.

Thanks @NLScooby, I reinstalled the paper clip to make sure that the thermostat was depressed, and as you suggested, pulled the line from output from the aux cooler as shown in @allan man's picture. That seemed to do the trick, and the fluid discharging from that line was not as bright red as the fluid poured from the bottles, but was red in color and clear. After reinstalling everything, I allowed the transmission fluid to come up to temperature (around 110 F), and was able to get a nice steady trickle from the overflow plug. Using the orange Toyota RTV that @bjowett suggested, it looks like my first attempt at making the gasket was successful as I did not see any leaks (knock on wood). The only item that I could not reinstall on the vehicle is the transmission pan guard, as the new PML pan is much taller than the OEM pan. I will be monitoring the fluid temperature to see if the added capacity will help lower the operating temperature. Again, thank you for a great video that helped my confidence in that this could be done.

Awesome - so glad it worked out for you! I have two questions if you don't mind:
1) Did you happen to visually trace the line to see if that line you used coming out of the aux cooler runs to the drivers or passenger's side of the radiator cooler?
2) What did you need to make a gasket for? The new pan? Does the factory pan gasket not work with the new pan?

In hindsight - if I could have gotten a hold of the PML pan in time - I would have gone that route as well......"While you're in there!...." :)

Awesome - so glad it worked out for you! I have two questions if you don't mind:
1) Did you happen to visually trace the line to see if that line you used coming out of the aux cooler runs to the drivers or passenger's side of the radiator cooler?
2) What did you need to make a gasket for? The new pan? Does the factory pan gasket not work with the new pan?

In hindsight - if I could have gotten a hold of the PML pan in time - I would have gone that route as well......"While you're in there!...." :)

I probably should have taken the time to trace the line, but was in a hurry and did not do so. As far as making a gasket, the PML pan has a machined flat aluminum surface that is an exact mirror image of the bottom of transmission surface (as far as I can tell), whereas the OEM pan appears to had a lip that the gasket fits over, so the OEM gasket would not have worked. PML does sell a cork gasket for the pan, but I decided against that option from @bjowett's thread where he recommended using orange RTV. I purchased a 3.5 oz tube from Amazon, where it received all positive reviews, and used about half the tube for this application. I took some pictures of the installation, and will try post after I sort them out.

I probably should have taken the time to trace the line, but was in a hurry and did not do so. As far as making a gasket, the PML pan has a machined flat aluminum surface that is an exact mirror image of the bottom of transmission surface (as far as I can tell), whereas the OEM pan appears to had a lip that the gasket fits over, so the OEM gasket would not have worked. PML does sell a cork gasket for the pan, but I decided against that option from @bjowett's thread where he recommended using orange RTV. I purchased a 3.5 oz tube from Amazon, where it received all positive reviews, and used about half the tube for this application. I took some pictures of the installation, and will try post after I sort them out.

PML?

Yes, this was described in another thread, sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink to the thread directly, but this was the title (under Series 200 forum).

Transmission pan - PML aluminum high capacity

The stock transmission guard does not work, but it does seem to be a well made part. The manufacturer's site is yourcovers.com, and it's part 11151.

Yes, this was described in another thread, sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink to the thread directly, but this was the title (under Series 200 forum).

Transmission pan - PML aluminum high capacity

The stock transmission guard does not work, but it does seem to be a well made part. The manufacturer's site is yourcovers.com, and it's part 11151.

Oh i see...got it!

A simple jug for measuring the fluid output is reusing the 5 quart Mobil 1 jugs. They have a measured sight gauge on the side. I've changed all of my vehicle's transmissions with this method and those containers make a perfect repurpose here. Thanks for making the video!

For those that have the oem tow package there is a separate tranny cooler on the right side of the radiator with two lines sticking out...you want to disconnect the top line
Marked in pink (output)and connect your drain line there as NLScooby mentioned you want to drain all the old fluid in the transcooler as well ( temporarily plug the oem line) View attachment 1455794

I might get around to flushing tomorrow. For those of you that have done this, is the return lines at the cooler easier to use, or the lower radiator ones?

20170504_183314.jpg
I might get around to flushing tomorrow. For those of you that have done this, is the return lines at the cooler easier to use, or the lower radiator ones?
Ive never done the lower so i couldnt tell you what the difference would be... but on the 80 series and 200 i just did it from the top and just feed a clear tubing through the grille into a bucket from lowes long enough to reach the front left tire so i can see the 2quarts come out
Then stop motor and fill 2 quarts did about 8 cycles... dont forget to shift through all the gears.
Its a one banana job.

Last edited:
View attachment 1779417
Ive never done the lower so i couldnt tell you what the difference would be... but on the 80 series and 200 i just did it from the top and just feed a clear tubing through the grille into a bucket from lowes long enough to reach the front left tire so i can see the 2quarts come out
Then stop motor and fill 2 quarts did about 8 cycles... dont forget to shift through all the gears.
Its a one banana job.

Awesome!

Did you crawl underneath to refill each time or route a hose from the fill port to the engine bay to do it?

Awesome!

Did you crawl underneath to refill each time or route a hose from the fill port to the engine bay to do it?
Yes crawled under to open fill plug and insert a clear hose also from lowes into the engine
Bay with a narrow funnel seen in the picture, while under i also used a paper clip to keep tranny thermostat open on the opposite side of fill hole.
Dont forget to take the paperclip out after.

Instructions were on point! Big thanks to @NLScooby .

I used the lower radiator outlet as suggested, as that ensures as much of the dirty fluid is pushed out as possible. Worked like a charm.

I checked the color of my fluid on filter paper and it is nowhere near as dark as yours. Compared to fresh fluid it is a slightly darker red, but definitely not contaminated with clutch lining. This fluid had a dealership change 180,000 miles ago. I've been seriously considering a flush, but I've heard in a hi miler this can cause problems. I'm at 270,000, so I am questioning how much would actually gained by flushing at this point?
I don't tow and off roading is limited to when I can sneak the cruiser away from mall duty, so it's ultra light duty use.
Toyota says it never needs changing, but as they say "it depends".

At the risk of asking a redundant question, will one case of fluid do the trick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom