Complete Transmission Flush DIY - VIDEO (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally pulled together the video I took while completing a complete transmission fluid flush. Most of you know the dealer's service typically consists of draining and refilling the pan only. This only introduces 3-4 clean quarts of fluid in the system. I went through 14 quarts of fluid.

BONUS: In this video I drop the pan and replace the inner filter-screen as well - so you get a glimpse as to what awaits you in the bottom of the pan. The dropping of the pan was not originally part of the plan - I screwed up and stripped the drain plug! (rookie maneuver I know....and I'm still kicking myself in the arse for that one!) The story there is that I mistakenly used the trans pan plug torque spec for the manual transmission model rigs - not offered for sale in the U.S....idiot, I know - but now we got a more interesting video! :)

Anyway - please enjoy and be kind as this was my very first video! (All the part numbers used are listed at the end of the video as well)

Thanks NLScooby, will be tackling the very same fluid change next week as part of switching over to the PML deep transmission pan, so your detailed video will help immensely. I was trying to picture the procedure regarding flushing the balance of the transmission fluid contained within the transmission and torque converter, and this video took out the guesswork. I hope that my experience will be as smooth as yours appeared to be. Thanks again, and well done.

Great video, thank you for putting it together!

Two questions- How did you jump the circuits and how did your vehicle drive afterwards? Could you tell any difference in shifting?

Last edited:
Great diy video. You inspired me to next tranny service at home.

Great job NLScooby :cheers: Thank you for taking the time and sharing the video.

Thanks for the positive notes gentlemen! I know it was painful to watch in certain areas - too much talking! :) Believe me I have a whole new level of respect for those people who make videos that are actually well put together - maybe I'll get there someday!

To answer a few questions:
1) I replaced 5 quarts of oil prior to starting the flush process (4 from the pan that came out through the drain plug and an additional 1 that was in the pan when I dropped it.

2)
Nice! I assume this is the first flush?
How many miles do you have?
Yes, this was my first flush. The vehicle had 102K miles on it when I did this a few weeks ago. I bought it with 75K miles and I'm assuming it was not previously done. I don't tow with this vehicle.

3)
Two questions- How did you jump the circuits and how did your vehicle drive afterwards? Could you tell any difference in shifting?
I jumped the circuits with a paper clip - but you could use a stiff wire. The vehicle actually drives better! It seems more efficient and a bit peppier.

A few still shots to answer another question or two:
1) Here's the filter inside the trans:
IMG_0270.JPG

Here's the before and after flush transmission fluid color:
IMG_0294.JPG

And the (WS compatible) fluid I used:
IMG_0292.JPG

Last edited:
One quick update:
Since the flush (I also changed the F and R diff oil and the transfer case), I have noticed not only a peppier driving car, but I am actually seeing better fuel mileage! I know this sounds crazy, but somehow the fluid seems more efficient or aggressive (?). I made a run to Costco the other day (a common trip). I filled up there and then drove home with $400 worth of stuff I probably didn't need. It was just me, a full tank of fuel and an ambient temp of 75. I have made this drive many times and would typically see 17.5 or 17.7 average MPG after having just reset the odometer at fill up. On this trip, the vehicle's read out was telling me I was getting 18.7 ave MPG! I've never seen the readout go that high since I put on the larger tires.

Last edited:
Great diy video. You inspired me to next tranny service at home.
Thanks man, I'm happy to answer any questions as you go. BTW, I ordered my brake lines from Crown and shortened my lines a bit based on your comments about them being a bit long - thanks for blazing that trail with them!

One additional comment: @allan man did a flush, draining and refreshing 2 quarts at a time. I would recommend this instead of my 3 quarts at a time method because you can see in the video that I started getting some aeration in the fluid towards the last part of the third quart each time.

For those that have the oem tow package there is a separate tranny cooler on the right side of the radiator with two lines sticking out...you want to disconnect the top line
Marked in pink (output)and connect your drain line there as NLScooby mentioned you want to drain all the old fluid in the transcooler as well ( temporarily plug the oem line)
20170504_183422.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, about to do this too. =)

Every time I have done a full exchange my transmission seems to shift better. It may be all in my head, but I did my LC about two months ago, and it seems to shift much better. Nice writeup.

For those that have the oem tow package there is a separate tranny cooler on the right side of the radiator with two lines sticking out...you want to disconnect the top line
Marked in pink (output)and connect your drain line there as NLScooby mentioned you want to drain all the old fluid in the transcooler as well ( temporarily plug the oem line) View attachment 1455794

IFIRC, I believe all US Spec Land Cruisers have the tow package. I elected to follow that line a bit further and drain the fluid AFTER the second cooler that is part of the radiator - that way I'd have less dirty fluid left in the system. Either way will work!! :)

Yea
Every time I have done a full exchange my transmission seems to shift better. It may be all in my head, but I did my LC about two months ago, and it seems to shift much better. Nice writeup.
Yeah - I swear its a bit quicker :) .....but I am seeing better fuel mileage! (seriously)....

IFIRC, I believe all US Spec Land Cruisers have the tow package. I elected to follow that line a bit further and drain the fluid AFTER the second cooler that is part of the radiator - that way I'd have less dirty fluid left in the system. Either way will work!! :)
That is interesting NLScooby... I "assumed" if you had the external cooler it didn't pass thru the bottom of the radiator (like the 80 series)
Good info.

That is interesting NLScooby... I "assumed" if you had the external cooler it didn't pass thru the bottom of the radiator (like the 80 series)
Good info.
It is a bit odd. It goes into the aux cooler, and then from there into the standard cooler that is part of the radiator..... Intuitively I would have thought going through the radiator cooler first and then the aux would make more sense, but I'm not an engineer! :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom