CJ's 1962 FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this came out good. how close were you to the card if you went with the adapter?

I have a 1971 engine in this 1962. This MC has 3 outputs, so I wanted to use the side output on the front, but I could have used the top. It was about 1/2 inch or so from the diaphragm I circled in the picture. In the picture it is removed. I had to take it off to make room to drill the new holes. If it had an older card there probably would have been more room. I do not know how much these engines can move when torqued, but it was too close from my comfort level do that diaphragm part when installed on the carb..
ZZZdscf5077.jpg

Chris I have to tell you; You take very good and clear pics!!! I cab see every detail in your photos. Wish I could do my rig over but living here in the Philippines is not like an easy task getting parts or a place to do it. Man I do miss Napa, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Sears etc. Ordering on line for simple stuff is outrageous on shipping then I have to deal with VAT taxes and Customs charges. A complete rip off IMHO lol. Bbbbbbuuuuutttt I like the cost of living here so my fault. I have a friend here that bought a new dash pad from SOR and it cost him $150.00 in shipping cost man what a bummer. I really like the way you are making progress. I tried to get my son to help me with a 67 Chevy Shortbed Stepside I rebulit back in 94 but he had no interest, he was too busy sniffing the girls ha ha!:beer:

Shelved for a while since I had to do some house work and kids schedules, plus now the heat. I hope to get back on it in the next few weeks as my other house and landscaping projects are getting completed. Still enjoy looking at the pile of parts every day, and think about it, but we have had no rain and record heat and working/welding in the garage is not a real option right now.

Nice project.. subscribed! :clap:

Hey, slightly off-topic... you weld in your garage? Do you MIG weld? I'm considering getting an inexpensive MIG set-up to learn how to weld. Just wondering what I'm jumping into...

I got a 120V Lincoln mig welder from lowes. I got the good one that allows for use of gas and wire welding plus the flux cord, but I have never used gas with it. I have always welded with flux cord. Its a lot cheaper to use flux cord, but also takes a lot more time since you have to clean up the splatter that you would not get if you used gas. If you want to learn I highly recommend it, they are cheap from HD or lowes, and they come with a DVD and it is easy to learn. Just practice a lot. Old lawn mower blades, metal bed frames etc all make great free practice material.

Got some work done, rebuilt the carb yesterday. Needs some adjusting but now it will run without the choke pulled out, and does not bog and stall when the gas is pushed. Carb is from 1971 and was probably never cleaned or rebuilt and other then the little running I have done with it had not run in 7 or more years.

Got the all new brake lines made with 10mm nuts on everything and went ahead and put new calipers up front. Have not driven it other then in and out of the garage yet, but brakes seem to work good.

My daughter and I put it back together tonight. Need to fill the axles with oil and it should be good for a test drive around the block.

Now I can start the body work. I needed to be able to drive it so I can pull it into the yard to sand etc. While my garage is a mess, sanding stuff in it would make it much worse. Of course my 16 year old son likes the way it looks now, he wants to wash, wax and go go go with it.
dscf5088.jpg
dscf5090.jpg
dscf5089.jpg

Great progress. It looks like it is really coming along. I like what you did with the MC. I have learned so much from watching guys like you restore your rigs.

Finally some progress, my son wanted to work on it, rolled it out, he got on the angle grinder with the heavy wire wheel. I was hoping he would stick with it to do 1 panel. He did the whole tub including the inside, and most of the fenders. He wore down two of those high quality dewalt rope looking wire wheels. I could not believe how much he got done.

There was on section I had put some Master Series Rust primer over a year ago on a weld area PO did. The wire wheel removed the old paint and primer like it was nothing. But it was a lot of work to get through this primer. I was so impressed with it we when we rolled the floor, I went ahead and rolled the outside of the tub. We can sand it, start putting body putting over it, then real primer.

I hope to have the body ready for painting this week, depends on how the pesky job thing goes. But we are excited to have the first bit of primer down.
DSCF5305.jpg
DSCF5311.jpg

Amazing how one coat of primer can change the look of a rig...

Looking good Chris :cheers:

Nice work can't wait to see it progress.

Well I had picked up a warn 8274 a few months ago for $200 clams, came with a mounting plate to mount it to a non 8274 winch plate. After much debate, I decided to use it, cut the top of the bumper off it is a big heavy piece of channel steel. I used the mounting plate that came with it to weld into the bumper. Not sure if I am going to pain the solenoid cover the same green as the fj40 will be, or black. Still need to refurbish the winch, it works just need blasting and some paint.

While this is not road worthy yet, it has been over 30 years since I bought my first car/fj40, and many many 4x4's since, I now actually have one with a real winch on the front. My hi school dreams are coming true just 30 years late.

Still working on the body work on the tub, will be getting up to the front soon, that is why I needed this winch mount done so I can clean and paint the bumper and front part of the frame.
DSCF0031.jpg
DSCF0030.jpg
DSCF0029.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom