'71 Gutless Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking for a project pig for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a 4/71 FJ55. Bob was nice enough to winch it up the hill with his 40 and up onto the trailer.
IMG_1009.jpg
The pig is in decent shape. It looks like it's had a restoration in the past. If I had to guess I'd say sometime in the 80's. There are the typical rust spots, but not as bad as most I've seen on the east coast. I'm diggin the vintage stripes
IMG_1011.jpg
Somebody converted to 3 on the floor at some point. Most of the dash pieces seem to be there. The seats have been removed for pics.
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg
IMG_1011.jpg
IMG_1012.jpg

continued

the floors are in good shape - only a pinhole or two:
IMG_1010.jpg
no engine/tranny or transfer. I have plenty of work on the body and frame which will give me time to figure out suspension and drivetrain options. I'm not looking to build anything hardcore. I'm thinking mild lift and 2F or maybe SBC. I'm sure the pocketbook will make the decision for me!
IMG_1013.jpg
This forum is a great resource and I'm happy to finally be a pig owner!
IMG_1010.jpg
IMG_1013.jpg

Welcome aboard!

You're 55 looks to be in good shape, I'm very jealous of your dash pads. Look up Bobm, on here, he makes some great body patch panels. Good luck with it.

Add: if you decide it's too much work and part it out, I'm first in line for the dash pads. :)

Thanks, I'll definitely have to look into those. It's wierd, the dash pad is great, but the glove box pad looks like it's been through a car fire :hmm: I've been enjoying your build BTW - great work :beer:

for east coast, that's pristine. heck, that's pristine for most everywhere.

Are those pinstripes and molding original? They've got to be aftermarket. Never seen that before. Regardless, congrats on the find! Take it one piece at a time and you'll get there. I can see the potential.

haha, so nobody's feeling the stripes, huh? :) They were added along with the rub strip whenever the car was refurbished - my guess is mid to late 80's based on the sweet Jensen tape deck. The paint job was actually pretty good and so far there have been no bondo surprises. I kind of dig the stripes - they look like something that could have been added from the dealer and it helps break up that giant slab of color. I may just fix the rust spots and paint those areas white to match and keep it as is. Right now I'm still working on teardown :(

Finally got the front clip off - took me as long to do that as get the body off frame on the old 40! Oh well, this will be a slow build and I intend to take time and enjoy the process this time around. Good news is no big rust surprises yet. Will keep my hoofs crossed.

That is alot of work, doing it by yourself. Are you planning to remove the body. Watch the snowball effect, just keeps getting bigger. Nothing wrong with going slow. :)

I'm planning on removing the body - if nothing else to clean/paint the frame and get the drivetrain installed. I would like to paint the underside of the body, but am limited on space. Aside from a rotisserie, what are my options? I would like to just roll the pig over (on grass) with the help of a few neighbors, but not sure the pillars and roof are strong enough. I know some of you are cringing as you read this :hillbilly:

Yeah, I wouldn't be rolling it over. When you have it off the frame and on some sort of jackstands, barrels, etc., try to get it up high and just work under it. I couldn't last 30 min. sitting under there, that's why I build the rack. Please make sure, the body is stable before going under it.

I am in the same situation. I've been investigating rotisseries for some time. Here's a good link from a pretty cool website: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69042

I have also seen people be successful with 2 engine stands.

And then there's this. It's got me thinkin'...but, I need more space!

Good Luck.
0110001610.jpg
0110001620.jpg

Guys,

I only have @ $300 in mine, but I had the casters. I went alittle heavy on the tubing. You don't have to get real fancy with it.

I took my body off my body off by using 4 high lift jacks after I rolled the frame out I used a combination of tires and 2x4 to set it on . Be careful the body is heavy !!!! Mucho heavy !!

Got the dash, firewall and interior stripped. Still need to strip doors and headliner.

image-3357383598.jpg

image-1035120785.jpg

Found some rust hiding in the rear corners of the floor. Were there drains here, or is this just where water collects? I'm assuming this is the culprit for rocker rust near the rear wheels?

image-3831237794.jpg
image-3357383598.jpg
image-1035120785.jpg
image-3831237794.jpg

Hope you took good notes and pictures, before everything came out. That's how mine was, when I bought it. I didn't know what went where or even if I had all the parts.

Now is a good time to weld up all the PO installed holes, keeps out some of the water.

Good Job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom