Cheap is good, 454 th400 and ???? swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The other thing I thought of is this thing going to be trailered or just driven around town? TH400 is going to be pretty miserable at hwy speeds with low axles gears and low redline of a big block.

If we can't talk you out of it....might as well use the 205 Tcase. Easier to rebuild if needed, iron cased, all gear driven (like the OEM).

Saw this in the side bar and had to look. Off to the expected "Go Toyota" and "Go LSx" :flush:

Trying to compare a Toyota engine or LSx to a big block is about as retarded as trying to compare them to a 4bt. A big block is basically a fuel inefficient version of a diesel with a bit more RPM available. The big block will have MUCH more torque off idle and in general when compared to a Toyota or LSx. If HP is the true metric then the beloved 4bt and 6bt must be garbage. A very mild cam will put an old big block in the 400 ft-lbs of torque range... this easily beats a 6.0L LQ4 at 360 ft-lbs... and the power is mostly at off idle, not at 3-4k rpm. A stock 7.4L TBI is 385 ft-lbs.:eek:

Do you know if the engine will even physically fit? They are fairly wide. I'm doing a Cady 472 into an FJ55 and it will be a squeeze between the frame rails.

What type of wheeling do you plan to do? Another option instead of the overly priced Marks adapters would be talking to Northwest Fab and their Blackbox doubler... roughly same price but you get a doubler. I forget if they actually got around to the FJ80 tcase version but they do have a split case(FJ60) version. It also solves the issue of the transmission pan being in the way of the front driveshaft.

On your question about driveshafts. A driveshaft doesn't care where the angle is coming from whether it is vertical or horizontal. A non-DC shaft requires the flanges to be the same angle. Unless you make your whole drivetrain crooked as hell left to right, that will never be an issue. I've seen more than a few people running centered rear axles with offset transfercases. I have this happening in one of my FJ55s with a split case and a full width Dana 60 rear axle. I forget the exact number but the last time I looked at where the center output was relative to the output shaft on an FJ60, I want to say the center was 6" higher.:eek:

*subscribing to see if this goes anywhere*

472 caddy, nice. I plan on building the 454 like Blue Collar 454 1st stage. 7.9:1 compression and a summit k1301 camshaft. 408hp@4500 511ftlbs@3500

My off-road style, EJS 19 I did poison spider, Kane’s creek, steel bender and cliffhanger. 2 weekends ago I did a trail in Oregon called quack attack.

483AE1BD-9BE5-4C8A-B309-E824EFB998EE.jpeg

Do you have an extra FJ60 split case, that sounds like an easy fix to my dilemma.

I called northwest FabWorks yesterday, they said I had longest th400 output shaft with the 205 4.5”, 208 2.5 and 203 1.5. They said unless I have a 208 shaft and adapter then I have to buy another adapter and he quoted $2050 complete and 4-6 weeks out. They are also moving shops.....

So last night I posted this, looking for any other options. Very happy with the comments, thank you.

I would never ever put any chevy into a Cruiser, when you can put a better motor in them, I love the Cummins, and I enjoy MPG that way I have to stop less

Just "No" on all of this...lol

im-done-my-work-meme.jpg

Big Bozo Clown :oops:

The Aisin A442 and A343F are better than a GM on any day, but I guess you don't care :flipoff2: Nobody saluted the FNG
Being a Toyota MDT I’m sure I know that. Maybe I don’t want the wiring or the line pressure cable. Maybe I want it like my 3rd gen 1/2 Dodge Ram that has 422hp and 958ftlbs at the wheels, from a 6bt going through an NV4500, simple and clean. You know what they say when one assumes!!!!!!!! Idiots come in all shapes and sizes 😂

Being a Toyota MDT I’m sure I know that. Maybe I don’t want the wiring or the line pressure cable. Maybe I want it like my 3rd gen 1/2 Dodge Ram that has 422hp and 958ftlbs at the wheels, from a 6bt going through an NV4500, simple and clean. You know what they say when one assumes!!!!!!!! Idiots come in all shapes and sizes 😂

Never assumed anything, just the facts. :rolleyes: . BTW I run a 6bt through my A343F, and have done a few . the kick down cable is no issue on either 442 or 343 when swapped to a Cummins

408/511 through stock axles? Solve your driveline dilema by selling the axles and build some tons and position the pinions where ever you want. This solves present and future problems.

Never assumed anything, just the facts. :rolleyes: . BTW I run a 6bt through my A343F, and have done a few . the kick down cable is no issue on either 442 or 343 when swapped to a Cummins
Facts, really...... here is a fact, I have 4 6bts. 1 in a 02 1500, 1 in a 96 frame with a 67 4 door f350 cab and a 96 dodge dash 1 complete with a bad #5 hole and a fully balanced long block!!!!!!! Axles.... 2 Dana 60 steer, 1 10.25 sterling SRW, 1 Dana 70 DRW.

A51D8747-0FCB-45BB-8B9A-397590F16A62.jpeg
51425EC6-5F70-454D-B7F6-AC334D32DB89.jpeg
3B656E6C-982F-48E0-AD3E-3F1EFE96D8B7.jpeg

All these facts and none of them pertain to my questions, that makes them useless facts but facts. Hmmmmmm I don’t drive the diesels because work is 2.8 miles away and that isn’t the best choice for those engines. So instead I drive the wife’s 5.3 liter gmc envoy or one of the 2 explorers. I need to thin the herd!!!!!

FB1B02EF-B2F1-47E9-8930-19BB6CE3633F.jpeg
0C7D09BB-8F96-4061-9C91-5AE3C9243B5E.jpeg

Last edited:
408/511 through stock axles? Solve your driveline dilema by selling the axles and build some tons and position the pinions where ever you want. This solves present and future problems.

Everything is custom, you know this isn’t the Jeep life where you can buy all the weld on brackets to mount the control arms up..... these comments are not constructive, they are just criticism!!!! The worst part it was made right after a guy saying he has a 6bt running through all stock drivetrain. Very rare that a 6bt is left at stock hp, slight bump and you are over 400ftlbs of torque at the wheels under 1800rpm. I love the intelligence from these comments.....

Hey man I say go for it! I like any ideas that mean more power. I think the 80 axles can be made to handle good power 32 spline rear, 30 spline RCV's up front. TH400 can be built pretty bullet proof and if you keep the stock 4.10's and run 37" tires you have some rubber overdrive. I only know of a 4L80E to LC transercase adapter so you would have to run a domestic TC or doubler/TC, which sounds like you have no problem doing. Might just require a little clearancing of the gas tank.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

I’m currently looking for a split case. I was under a 76ish Cherokee with QuadraTrac tonight. It has offset axles and should have a bw1339 but they fail so there was a Dana 20 in it. The driveshaft was dang close to the tank but it worked. Next week I’ll get my old 96 fj80 on the alignment rack and measure, if the output of the 205 is farther forward then the stock yota it might clear. I can easily get a double cv driveshaft made. I just want it on the road 😂

Everything is custom, you know this isn’t the Jeep life where you can buy all the weld on brackets to mount the control arms up..... these comments are not constructive, they are just criticism!!!! The worst part it was made right after a guy saying he has a 6bt running through all stock drivetrain. Very rare that a 6bt is left at stock hp, slight bump and you are over 400ftlbs of torque at the wheels under 1800rpm. I love the intelligence from these comments.....
I know the owner and the 80 personally. Stock motor and an adult driver. Why have 408 hp if you aren’t going to use it??? This thread has white trash filling the spaces between the printed lines of nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom